Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
The limit is 50,000 per extension.
Yes. Also, there is a point of diminishing returns. Huge bloated lists are not required and can slow down the device.
Yeah, I think the best practice here is to find one or two that best suit our needs, and then report to the devs when we see ads slipping through. Safari will run out of memory if we try to force it to do too much.

I can already see an easy way to circumvent ad blockers, that is if ad companies are willing to do a bit more server-side work.

Last edited:

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, I think the best practice here is to find one or two that best suit our needs, and then report to the devs when we see ads slipping through. Safari will run out of memory if we try to force it to do too much.

I can already see an easy way to circumvent as blockers, that is if ad companies are willing to do a bit more server-side work.

That's why I'm very impressed with the easylist/bluhell list implementation Adblock Fast is using. I can't say for sure about iOS version but in chrome (Mac) it's clear the difference of resource use compared to other ad blockers. Heavy pages scroll more fluidly with Adblock Fast (Mac). The only problem (Adblock Fast in Mac) is that it doesn't block as many ads as ABP/uBlock/AdGuard, etc but I think it's worth it.

For iOS, I'm using Purify switching to Adblock Fast when Purify breaks some website functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: hank moody

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Adblock Plus from Eyeo is available to download now.
Adblock Plus (ABP) by Eyeo
https://appsto.re/us/8A1u9.i

BBG, would you mind doing a review? This is the most known and widespread ad blocker. I guess it will soon be the most downloaded and used in iOS.

I didn't tried but I guess it will block all ads but will consume more cpu due to its massive list. App weighs 30mb. Is that a sign of bloated code?
I will do a review in the next day or so.

Reactions: ardchoille50

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
That's why I'm very impressed with the easylist/bluhell list implementation Adblock Fast is using. I can't say for sure about iOS version but in chrome (Mac) it's clear the difference of resource use compared to other ad blockers. Heavy pages scroll more fluidly with Adblock Fast (Mac). The only problem (Adblock Fast in Mac) is that it doesn't block as many ads as ABP/uBlock/AdGuard, etc but I think it's worth it.

For iOS, I'm using Purify switching to Adblock Fast when Purify breaks some website functionality.
Hold down the reload page button and you can reload with no content blockers enabled. Great for those moments when it breaks a page.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Is the adblocker pro content blocker from the same people who do dolphin browser? doesn't it seem that they would be scraping your traffic history (as they do with the browser) so they can either sell it or get clickbait or conversion revenue?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Is the adblocker pro content blocker from the same people who do dolphin browser? doesn't it seem that they would be scraping your traffic history (as they do with the browser) so they can either sell it or get clickbait or conversion revenue?
Content blocking extensions cannot see which sites you visit.

From the Apple Developer site:
"Your app extension is responsible for supplying a JSON file to Safari. The JSON consists of an array of rules (triggers and actions) for blocking specified content. Safari converts the JSON to bytecode, which it applies efficiently to all resource loads without leaking information about the user’s browsing back to the app extension."

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
the message is inside content blocker tab in settings. i don't know why people keep saying that. Just read what says in settings.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
the message is inside content blocker tab in settings. i don't know why people keep saying that. Just read what says in settings.
The message in settings only states that the content blocker cannot see what was blocked, it doesn't mention that the content blocker can't see the user's browsing history. This is why people ask about browsing history.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
So Safari Blocker (the one with a blue shield against a black background) has just updated and changed its name to 'Refine', which isn't a bad choice considering it'll be easier to find now amongst all the apps with some combination of safari and blocker in the name.

They claim "fixed whitelist bug, speed improvements and changed name" in the update log.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
icon175x175.png

* Taken from iTunes Preview page.

Description

Browse free of annoying ads with Adblock Plus on Safari for iOS.
Browse safer and faster, and save your data with the #1 ad blocker in the world!

Ad blocker from Adblock Plus
- Market leader since 2006
- Downloaded over 400 million times

More efficient browsing
Ads can cause pages to load slower, eat up your data plan and consume your battery. By blocking ads, Adblock Plus for iOS helps you:
- Save data
- Save battery life

Safe and private
- Ad blocking prevents nasty stuff like malware and tracking that can hide behind ads.
- Reduce the risk of malware infection
- Enhance your privacy
- Recommended by Stanford University, UC Santa Barbara, Electronic Frontier Foundation

You’re in control
- Annoying ads are blocked and some nonintrusive ads are displayed by default
- You can change this setting at any time (Settings -> Acceptable Ads)

About Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus for iOS was created by the team at Adblock Plus, the world’s most popular ad blocker. Check out Adblock Plus for desktop!

Discover more at https://adblockplus.org/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adblockplus
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adblockplus
Instagram: https://instagram.com/adblockplus/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AdblockPlusOfficial
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/adblock-plus/

...More
Adblock Plus (ABP) Support
Screenshots
iPhone iPad
screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

Adblock Plus is a (free) minimalist content blocker. There is no Whitelisting ability nor in app site reporting or feedback. By default, Adblock Plus is set to allow what it deems "some non-intrusive ads." To turn the toggle off, click the settings icon at the bottom of the main app screen, and then click on "Exceptions" > "Acceptable Ads > and turn off the toggle.

Adblock Plus app design - C -

The app colors (red and white) can be hard on the eyes, in my opinion. Given that there aren't any user options to speak of outside of turning off the 'acceptable non-intrusive ads' toggle, there really isn't much to talk about, in regards to design. It is straight-forward and nothing to brag about.

Adblock Plus blocking power - A

As you can see below, a few sites had problems. Overall, Adblock Plus did a good job of rendering pages correctly while blocking ads.

* Social widgets were not blocked.
* Does not block ad tracking.

* Your experience may differ from mine, in regards to ad-blocking ability.

Adblock Plus' blocking power was tested using the following websites Time Magazine, CNN, Yahoo, MacRumors, Amazon, Fox News, Huffington Post*****, iMore, The Verge, National Geographic, Crackle, Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate...****** MacWorld, MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth, ESPN, Welt.de,*** Ciudad.com.ar, ABC.com.py, Times of Israel,*** 9to5toys, Straits Times, Str.sg, info.singtel.com, Times of India, Indian Express, Cnet, Boston.com and Courier.co.uk.

Unless otherwise noted by the * symbol, all sites loaded correctly without any pop ups or blank advertising boxes.

* Site did not load

** Site loaded correctly but clicking links on main page or subsequent page didn't work.

*** Site loaded correctly but did not block all ad(s) on main page or subsequent site pages.

**** Site did not correctly load all non ad page elements (e.g. pictures, video, text etc.)

***** Site loaded correctly with no ads or pop ups. Empty advertisement blocks were noted.

****** Site loaded correctly but did not stop pop up messages or redirects

Adblock Plus speed - C+

I found the speed to be noticeably slower than many of the other previously reviewed apps.

Adblock Plus price and developer contact - A

A rating of A was given solely on the basis that the app was free at the time of review. I did not contact the developer prior to review.

Adblock Plus overall rating - B -

If you don't have a problem with Adblock Plus' business model (re: acceptable non-intrusive buy your way in ad list) and don't mind having to turn the default toggle off, Adblock Plus might work well for you. Overall, I was unimpressed with the app. In my opinion, there are plenty of other apps that do a better job.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
maybe now is the time to check out Ad Block Multi - new beta is with automatic updates and so far runs perfect

jamesdunn72

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
BasicGreatGuy, thank you for all the hard work you put into reviewing these adblockers. One suggestion though, in the first post can you maybe list all the blockers and link them to their pages and then maybe create a summary table and put the blockers in their respective rating columns?

Reactions: tok and hank moody

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
^^ nice idea.

A "data saving" per blocker, would be awesome too.

e.g.:

reset data statistics
visit all sites
note down data consumption of all sites

reset data again
turn on the first adblocker
visit all sites
note down data consumption for all sites this blocker

reset data again
etc
etc
etc

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
BasicGreatGuy, thank you for all the hard work you put into reviewing these adblockers. One suggestion though, in the first post can you maybe list all the blockers and link them to their pages and then maybe create a summary table and put the blockers in their respective rating columns?
I have edited the OP to include direct links to subsequent reviews.

I want people to do their own research as well. If I get involved in charts, specific load times, content data saved and all the rest, I am essentially removing the incentive for others to do their own legwork, in my opinion. I will give some consideration to creating a summary table.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
^^ nice idea.

A "data saving" per blocker, would be awesome too.

e.g.:

reset data statistics
visit all sites
note down data consumption of all sites

reset data again
turn on the first adblocker
visit all sites
note down data consumption for all sites this blocker

reset data again
etc
etc
etc
Seeing how I am doing reviews for free, I am not inclined to get to that level, when those who read my reviews can take into account whether or not they wish to try the app. And if they do wish to try an app, said people can crunch their own data saved numbers. I am not about spoon-feeding people.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I have edited the OP to include direct links to subsequent reviews.

I want people to do their own research as well. If I get involved in charts, specific load times, content data saved and all the rest, I am essentially removing the incentive for others to do their own legwork, in my opinion. I will give some consideration to creating a summary table.
We must also take into consideration other variables that affect perceived page load times.. two of which are connection speed and user patience level. My connection speed at home is superb, but I only get two bars at a friend's house and she is much more patient than I am.

The most important thing to remember with software reviews (including charts/graphs) is 'your mileage may vary'.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Can we make this and the other content blocker thread into a sticky for a quick reference or is it something Mods have to do?

Seeing how I am doing reviews for free, I am not inclined to get to that level, when those who read my reviews can take into account whether or not they wish to try the app. And if they do wish to try an app, said people can crunch their own data saved numbers. I am not about spoon-feeding people.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
icon175x175.jpeg

FOLLOW-UP VER. 1.1 REVIEW.

*Taken from the iTunes Preview page.

Description

LIMITED-TIME 50% DISCOUNT! The easiest native blocker for Safari on iOS gives you ultimate control and downloads pages an average of 4x faster.

No ads, no tracking — Purify is easy to install and works right out of the box.

Here's why you'll love Purify:

• “a 21% battery life increase from using Purify... [when] web browsing”, “the test results spurred me to keep Purify” — The New York Times (Oct. 1, 2015).

• Instantly browse an average of 4x FASTER

• Reduce your web data consumption on Cellular & Wi-Fi by an average of 50%

• Browse the web clutter-free — reclaim precious screen space

• Ultimate privacy: Purify eliminates tracking — and never intercepts or sees any of your traffic

... PLUS best-in-class, high-quality support. It doesn't get any better.

Purify is a content blocker for Safari that blocks ads, tracking, and more. Purify's professionally hand-crafted filter optimizes your browsing experience. With free regular updates, all users receive the best and latest of Purify at frequent intervals.

Purify gives you complete control: whitelisting with Purify is effortless — just a tap from within Safari.

Purify also syncs your preferences and whitelists via iCloud across all your devices.

Unlock powerful blocking options with unprecedented ease — you can easily choose to block:
• social buttons and comments
• scripts
• custom fonts
• images

... and gain even more speed and data-usage benefits.

Take full control of your browsing experience now with Purify.

Some comments from users:

— "I've used every one of the content blockers so far and Purify is by far the best one."
— "Practically instant page loads."
— "Really makes mobile browsing great again."
— "Love the simple experience."
— "Take advantage of the much much better browsing experience."
— "Installation was seamless... all ads are blocked and performance is stellar."

...More
Chris Aljoudi Web SitePurify Blocker: No Ads. No Tracking. Lightning-fast Safari. Support
What's New in Version 1.1
In this update:

• Social/share button and comment blocking — just a simple toggle from Purify's preferences.
• Seamless iCloud sync of your preferences and whitelist across all your devices running Purify!
• Report problematic sites and pages right from Safari — like whitelisting, just a simple tap from the action sheet.
• Fixes to improve performance and the experience on many sites.

Thanks for using Purify! If you're enjoying Purify, please don't forget to leave us a rating here on the App Store — it helps immensely.

Your feedback helps us refine Purify — we appreciate it deeply.

...More
Screenshots
iPhone iPad
screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen322x572.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

As noted in the app description, Purify ver. 1.1 is a paid content blocker for iOS 9. While there are several free content blockers available, I don't believe one should dismiss an app, just because it is paid.

This review of Purify is a follow-up review comparison of Purify's initial release. The original review can be found here.

Purify app design - A

The app colors are easy on the eyes. The app is designed in such a way, that maneuvering through the different app options is neither confusing nor overwhelming which, can be an important factor for novice users.

Included in the updated version of Purify 1.1. is the welcomed addition of in app reporting of problem websites, social buttons and comment blocking, along with bug fixes and app engine tweaking for better performance.

I noted in my original review, that in my opinion, in app reporting should have been included in the initial release. I believe that paid apps should be held to higher scrutiny. I am glad that Chris was able to get this implemented in a timely manner, even though it was what I consider to be late.

In regards to the in app reporting function, and the inability to leave a comment as to what specific problem was noted with a website, Chris informed readers of the content blocker thread of the following..."Purify uses a machine-learning-based engine on the backend to analyze reports and automatically generate a suggested solution.

It is extremely rare for reports to have to be reviewed by hand (it's only done with one-off reports in which the heuristic is unconfident about the issue)."

Out of all the apps I have reviewed thus far, Purify is the first content blocker I know of, that uses A.I. (Artificial intelligence).

Purify blocking power - A

As noted below, some of the test websites had a problem. To be fair, there isn't a content blocker that is able to block and correctly render every single page on the internet.

Purify scored strong in the initial review, because it did not have a lot of the same problems that so many other content blockers were having, due to so many people simply cutting and pasting the JSON file. And while Purify isn't perfect in the blocking power category, (no content blocker is) it has continued to be strong in this area.

* At the time of this follow-up review, Time, Cnet, Courier.co.uk, Kat.cr, The Pirate... and a few other websites were reported via the new in app ability, which I found easy to do, by clicking the Safari share sheet icon, swiping to the Purify icon, and clicking the report website option. While some of the sites may have been fixed since the official reports, there had not been time to push the repair to the public prior to this review.

* The new social buttons and comments feature of the app works.
* Many websites tested in this follow-up review had not been used with the initial review.
* MacWorld did not work with the initial release and was fixed in a prior update.
* Your experience may differ from mine, in regards to ad-blocking ability.

Purify's blocking power was tested using the following websites Time Magazine,* CNN, Yahoo, MacRumors, Amazon, Fox News, Huffington Post, iMore, The Verge, National Geographic, Crackle,* Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, Kat.cr, The Pirate...****** MacWorld, MSNBC, Apple, Ebaums World, ImDB, YouTube, Hotels.com, Digiday, Reddit, Craigslist (local), Cult of Mac, blog.buttermouth, ESPN, Welt.de, Ciudad.com.ar,***** ABC.com.py, Times of Israel,*** 9to5toys, Straits Times,* Str.sg, info.singtel.com, Times of India, Indian Express, Cnet,**** Boston.com and Courier.co.uk.****

Unless otherwise noted by the * symbol, all sites loaded correctly without any pop ups or blank advertising boxes.

* Site did not load

** Site loaded correctly but clicking links on main page or subsequent page didn't work.

*** Site loaded correctly but did not block all ad(s) on main page or subsequent site pages.

**** Site did not correctly load all non ad page elements (e.g. pictures, video, text etc.)

***** Site loaded correctly with no ads or pop ups. Empty advertisement blocks were noted.

****** Site loaded correctly but did not stop pop up messages or redirects

Purify speed - A

In my initial review, I noted that Purify was faster in my testing, versus Crystal and some other content blockers. Purify is still fast. As to whether or not it is the fasted content blocker, I don't know. The main point I wish to emphasize, is I did not find myself tapping my foot waiting on Purify to correctly render websites. In my opinion, that means a lot more to me, than how many milliseconds it may have taken.

Purify price and developer contact - A

At the time of the initial review, I thought that Purify's price of $3.99 was a little steep, given it was lacking in app reporting and a few other features that many of the other content blockers (paid and free) were including.

In my initial review, I came down hard on Chris, because I felt he was spending more time promoting his app, posting speed graphs, and retweeting praise tweets about his app, than he was making sure customer service was where it needed to be, especially with the price of the app. At that time, I compared him to a used car salesman saying whatever it took to make the sale. I am happy to report, that Chris has made a point to be more customer service oriented, whether it be on Twitter or the forums. And that effort and time has been noted and appreciated by a lot of people on MacRumors.

Purify overall rating - A

There have been a lot of content blockers (paid and free) released since I posted my initial review of Purify. There are several content blockers that (overall) offer strong block ability, along with more hands on user tweaks than Purify and at a price that is lower than what Purify normally is. However, not all of those other strong content blockers have customer support and attention to detail from the start, that Purify has tried to put forth.

If you want an app that you can load and not have to worry about tweaking the settings on a regular basis, Purify fits the proverbial code bill.

Since the release of ver. 1.1, many people have requested that there be separate toggles for social comments and buttons, along with implementing and streamlining the update process of the app, amongst other things. Chris has made it known, that many of those things (and more) are being addressed and worked on.

At the time of this follow-up review, Purify is on sale for $1.99. If you haven't already gotten a copy of Purify, I recommend that you do, as it is a good price for what it does.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.