General iOS 9 feature compatibility on devices.

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by George Waseem, Jul 9, 2015.

?

Are you upgrading to iOS 9 ?

1. Yes

360 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. No, I'm sticking with iOS 8 or earlier

39 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. I will try the iOS 9 public beta first.

45 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. I'm waiting for iOS 9.1

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. iOS 9.2

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. iOS 9.3

20 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. George Waseem thread starter macrumors regular

George Waseem

From what I've read and tried, I can say that it's not the perfect iOS for an iPad Air, iPad mini 1st gen actually feels better with iOS 9 than an iPad Air, forget all features apple packed with iOS 9 and stick with iOS 8 or 7.

2. picree macrumors newbie

Proactive Assistant is listed as not compatible with iPhone 4s. What about context-sensitive reminders created with "Siri Remind me of this"? I have a 4s and can't get that feature to work. All it says is "sorry I can't remind you about the "x" app". I have tried Safari, Mail, Messages, etc. None of them work.

3. George Waseem thread starter macrumors regular

George Waseem

iPhone 4S has an A5 chip which has a limited compatibility in iOS 9, it doesn't get many features including Proactivity and Asking Siri "Remind me of this"

4. RepentHarlequin macrumors newbie

fwiw: Check individual app settings if you are seeing unusual battery drain.

Upon loading new iOS, I set my app details to minimize “phone-home” & check with every search, etc.
    iOS 9.0.2 - the second update to release of iOS 9 overwrote those settings turned off in my case & really ate into battery usage.

5. RepentHarlequin macrumors newbie

Not using an Air with it, however:
    OS size has been optimized, or at least reduced quite a bit in 9.0.2.

I can’t say that I have found a lot of remarkable differences in 9.0.2 yet on a smaller format device (phone-size).
    A few of the features are ok additions, but not substantially impactful in my case. Swiping to change open apps is sometimes less annoying.

6. Bart15, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

Bart15 macrumors newbie

I own the first ipad that came with retina display, currently on ios 9.0.2. In my experience, the last two iOS updates I did to my Ipad have been horrible, and seem to be getting progressively worse. Most of my fellow mac using friends think Apple is doing this on purpose so you're forced to buy a new Ipad eventually, planned obsolescence. The last update I did, 9.0.2, is so buggy. My ipad types on its own sometimes, and the touch screen is all messed up. It doesn't do that all the time, but enough to be really annoying. It worked fine a few updates ago.

There is no way I am updating to the newest one or any further iOS updates Mac dishes out. I love it how you cannot go back to an earlier iOS, like 8 or 7, once you actually go through with the update. BTW a friend even tried resetting his Ipad to factory settings, thinking it would revert back to the original IOS when he bought it, like IOS 7, But it doesn't, it will reset itself, but stays at the last IOS you updated to.

I've been a total Mac guy since the early 90's and have always loved Mac products, and talked them up to others, but lately I've been getting really disenchanted with their products and their failure to listen to their faithful consumers. Like when I-movie went backwards in features and effects a few years ago after updating.

Make sure you read all the reviews about this update before you install it, and if you're not on a brand new, top of the line ipad, I'd think twice before upgrading at all.

7. Jean-F. macrumors newbie

Hello. I tend to agree with M. Waseem about OS 9.1 performance on Ipad 2.

In my experience, OS 8 started to 'kill' performance and OS 9 did not add to the performance deterioration.
    I did not perform tests with absolute rigour but here is some of my findings.
    Performance with the following apps....:
    - CNN : no noticeable gain or loss
    - mail : seems slighty faster when displaying the content of a selected mail
    - Candy crush : a noticeable gain
    - Netflix : no noticeable gain or loss

General apps loading... as painfull as it was. Not worse.
    Apps crashing : much much better ! Beware, the sensation that apps are crashing may still stay, because for a reason I ignore, all apps, suddenly, jump in the background.

So, in my opinion, if you still run OS 7 - stay with it as long as you can.
    If you are running OS 8 or 9.0x then I cannot see any reasons you would not install 9.1 since in each version from 8 to 9 you will catch up a little bit of performance and more stability.

Sadly, we will never, I think, had the feeling we had with OS 7.

8. George Waseem thread starter macrumors regular

George Waseem

iOS 8 was bad on older devices and great on newer devices. iOS 9 is designed for the latest devices and the older devices which leaves the middle aged devices 2012 and 2013 devices in an average or in some cases terrible. People think that their devices perform terrible because of the older chip but it's actually it's the software that is coded in a bad way. Hope that Apple fixes iOS 9 bugs in 9.3 or 9.4.

9. wbrat macrumors regular

My iPhone 4s runs much better with iOS 9.2beta than it was with any iOS 8 version

10. George Waseem thread starter macrumors regular

George Waseem

iOS 9.2 and iOS 9.3 new features including Night Shift, New Health are added with the device support.

Information has been updated to the final features and performance updates we have on our devices today after many iOS 9 updates during the past few months.

New iOS 9.3 option in the poll.

11. CagdasCizer macrumors member

CagdasCizer

This post was viable.... In 2011...

12. Jean-F. macrumors newbie

Performance and stability issues concern all IPAD users and you will find many advices in forums regarding the OS stability on a specific model. As for my own experience, I have an IPAD 2 that was almost made unfunctionnal when I switched to OS 8. So, I had nothing to lose and made all the updates available. I found 9.0.2 better than 8... But still not the best. With 9.2 the overall performance and stability are much better. So, if it is working for an older IPAD than yours, maybe it will work well with your model.

13. pustota macrumors newbie

iPad Air here and I am still on OS 8 and very hesitant to proceed with the update.

Maybe I will wait for last OS 9 update and then dodge the bullet, I don't want to slow my iPad, currently it´s as fast, as it was when I bought it two years ago.

14. Donia330i macrumors regular

Is it me or do not all the force touch options work? Like for weather..

15. Yokara Karaoke macrumors member

Yokara Karaoke

Night Shift is the best feature of ios 9.3

16. 1997AAPL macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 24, 2016 ---
    Does anyone know if it is possible to move notes from iOS 5.1.1 to iPad air2 iOS 9.3.2 or to my mac 10.11.3 El Capitan?