Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You could always paste attachments in Apple Mail (from other emails) whatever their kind was (PDFs, Word, Excel, etc..). It wasn't straightforward but it existed years before.
How exactly were you able to do it for any attachment (mainly to copy them, from another email or otherwise)?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Apple likes simplicity. If you want more freedom, no ones stopping you from switching to Android. They make good phones now and I heard lollipop is good.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't think I am missing the point. I have been using iOS since 2007. People are now used to having touchscreen based smartphones.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think the title of this this should have been IOS9 is the worst release yet - It has been a couple of days and I haven't seen that title yet. And going along will be what I want in IOS10.
I can't believe the fuss people make over ICONs and location. It is what a device does that is important and not the ICON.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the title of this this should have been IOS9 is the worst release yet - It has been a couple of days and I haven't seen that title yet. And going along will be what I want in IOS10.
I can't believe the fuss people make over ICONs and location. It is what a device does that is important and not the ICON.
Seems like a lot of people are finding something useful about iOS 9, or simply happy that hopefully more time was spent on fixing up performance, stability, and other issues.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I'm not that big on customization. I've used Android in the past and while it is nice, it's not necessary. Looking at the wallpaper is nice, but I found that I don't spend much time on the homescreens anyways. It's like the background on my desktop. I have it change with an app but I am rarely ever not in an app that is full screen.

Default apps and better notification center is what I would like.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It's not only the customization. There are features on Android that are really cool. Let me give you some examples:
  • On my M9 I can Skype with video and I don't have to be in the app to continue my call. I can go to whatever app I want.
  • Another great feature on the M9 is desktop sharing!! It works very well.
  • When using Facebook Messenger, I can chat from my home screen, no need to go to the app.
  • Background syncing of various apps works in real time. I don't have to think about it..
  • Power saving modes. You can choose what features to disable..
  • Notifications. I love the notification led and the button to clear all notifications at once..
  • Ok Google works from every app or screen I am in. It is really cool.
  • The ability to disable an app update. How many times did we all install an app update, only to find out a little later that it killed the app?
  • Ability to set default apps
  • Using Firefox I can have an Adblocker.
  • Sharing sheets are very powerful. I don't need to worry about having extensions. Everything can be connected to anything. Really cool.
  • Additionally and for the HTC One M9 specific, I love its sound. You have to experience it to believe it.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It's obvious iOS will never suit your needs. Not sure what the purpose of this thread was other than to profess your love for Android.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It's not only the customization. There are features on Android that are really cool. Let me give you some examples:
  • On my M9 I can Skype with video and I don't have to be in the app to continue my call. I can go to whatever app I want.
  • Another great feature on the M9 is desktop sharing!! It works very well.
  • When using Facebook Messenger, I can chat from my home screen, no need to go to the app.
  • Background syncing of various apps works in real time. I don't have to think about it..
  • Power saving modes. You can choose what features to disable..
  • Notifications. I love the notification led and the button to clear all notifications at once..
  • Ok Google works from every app or screen I am in. It is really cool.
  • The ability to disable an app update. How many times did we all install an app update, only to find out a little later that it killed the app?
  • Ability to set default apps
  • Using Firefox I can have an Adblocker.
  • Sharing sheets are very powerful. I don't need to worry about having extensions. Everything can be connected to anything. Really cool.
  • Additionally and for the HTC One M9 specific, I love its sound. You have to experience it to believe it.

I don't mean to be rude, but if, in you opinion, Android is "all that", then what the hell are you doing with iOS?

Reactions: Loismustdie1

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My love for Android? I love my dog, not an OS..
What am I doing with iOS? I am a big Apple fan, my friends always called me a fanboy. In the last two years I started realizing that Android has become a very good option..I am almost forced to use Android, because I know it suits my needs much better, but I like Apple more and I would like to only use Apple products..I am really heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem..

khafaga

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
How exactly were you able to do it for any attachment (mainly to copy them, from another email or otherwise)?

Yes. You just select the text before and after the attachment (so the attachment itself is blue), you copy it then paste in another email message.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. You just select the text before and after the attachment (so the attachment itself is blue), you copy it then paste in another email message.
How does the attachment appear between text? Generally I just see a file or a few at the end of the email without text that's around.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
My love for Android? I love my dog, not an OS..
What am I doing with iOS? I am a big Apple fan, my friends always called me a fanboy. In the last two years I started realizing that Android has become a very good option..I am almost forced to use Android, because I know it suits my needs much better, but I like Apple more and I would like to only use Apple products..I am really heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem..

Jailbreak.

khafaga

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
How does the attachment appear between text? Generally I just see a file or a few at the end of the email without text that's around.

This is how it is done :)

1ff9be027767553f47544b81a7de673c.jpg

And it appears as inline to the viewer. Whenever you insert it, it just shows up.

Reactions: C DM

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is how it is done :)

1ff9be027767553f47544b81a7de673c.jpg

And it appears as inline to the viewer. Whenever you insert it, it just shows up.
Just tried playing around with it in a few messages, and I was able to do it in some, but not others (the selection would only go to the end of the text but not beyond it lower to where a file was attached). I guess at least it works for some.

khafaga

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Just tried playing around with it in a few messages, and I was able to do it in some, but not others (the selection would only go to the end of the text but not beyond it lower to where a file was attached). I guess at least it works for some.

You are right. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. This is when I turn to my Mac desperately :)

Not after iOS 9 anyway ;)

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
How is OS X working much better than any OS? Windows 10 is looking mighty fine, and runs very well even in an unfinished state. I can do everything I need to do in Windows 10 that I currently do in OS X.

Now, your personal preference is that OS X works better than any other OS. In fact, I agree with you. But my point is that it's all personal preference. You look at OS X and see an OS that is fine the way it is, someone else looks at it and wonders how people can possibly prefer it to Windows or Linux. You look at iOS as stale, I look at it in the same way that both you and I look at OS X- an OS that works much better (for me) than any other mobile OS.

There are things I dislike about OS X, and things I dislike about Windows 7, but I still use both almost daily. Windows 8, on the other hand... I absolutely hated. It is just not suited for mouse/keyboard use. It is most definitely built for a touch screen.

I have not used Windows 10 yet, but I will be upgrading later in the year. I'm curious how it compares to OS X in the areas I find most usable: multiple desktops, and multi-touch gestures. The 3-finger full-screen and desktop switching is just amazing. Scrolling is incredibly smooth. Two-finger "back" and "forward" gestures are perfect. 4-finger pinch for quick access to apps, awesome.

So even though I don't feel that OS X is the absolute best OS (I don't know if I can honestly pick a best), I really feel that the gestures completely make the experience. That was what sold me on buying MacBook Air when shopping for a new computer 4 years ago (after using Windows since 1995). How does Windows 10 compare in this regard?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I actually like apples new notes app. One note and Evernote seem like overkill and a confusing mess. I'm sure they are great for some people... But apples new app is great for me... You still have the option to use those apps.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I actually like apples new notes app. One note and Evernote seem like overkill and a confusing mess. I'm sure they are great for some people... But apples new app is great for me... You still have the option to use those apps.
I would use it to if I were not already using OneNote.

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
  • On my M9 I can Skype with video and I don't have to be in the app to continue my call. I can go to whatever app I want. [Did you watch the keynote? PIP is now a part of iOS 9]
  • Another great feature on the M9 is desktop sharing!! It works very well. [If you have a Mac you've been able to do this for about a year now. Coneect your phone to your Mac and open QuickTime]
  • When using Facebook Messenger, I can chat from my home screen, no need to go to the app. [NICE!]
  • Background syncing of various apps works in real time. I don't have to think about it..[I don't think about background refresh either]
  • Power saving modes. You can choose what features to disable..[Apple just introduced a "Low Power Mode" though I concede its far from robust in its current stage]
  • Notifications. I love the notification led and the button to clear all notifications at once..[That's phone specific. If you can't live without this feature, use a phone that gives that to you!]
  • Ok Google works from every app or screen I am in. It is really cool. [Never had a problem with Siri not working in an app. Look forward to testing "Proactive" more]
  • The ability to disable an app update. How many times did we all install an app update, only to find out a little later that it killed the app? [You can choose not to update anapp though the ability to disable an update would be lovely]
  • Ability to set default apps [I 1,000% agree with you. Something tells me its only a matter of time]
  • Using Firefox I can have an Adblocker. [This is going to be a thing in iOS 9 now]
  • Sharing sheets are very powerful. I don't need to worry about having extensions. Everything can be connected to anything. Really cool. [Sounds like a different approach to extensions]
  • Additionally and for the HTC One M9 specific, I love its sound. You have to experience it to believe it. [Sounds like quite the phone! You may want to consider making it your daily driver]

I get it. I really do. When I got my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 3, I began to get frustrated by the lack of widgets and a restrictive grid system. I would love more abilities to customize and make my devices more personal. What I value more however is that any change I make to a document, photo, contacts, etc. I know without doubt that because of Apple's tight integration, I can move to a different device and pick up where I left off. I am constantly impressed by Apple's product design (though the iPhone 6 did throw me for a loop). iCloud backups makes upgrading devices so simple, something Android has yet to figure out. All this being said, you will never get the same deep level of customization on iOS that Android offers; it goes against Apple's tried and true mantra of "It Just Works." I have accepted this compromise and iOS 9 has made me fall in love with the platform again. It seems as if Android is a much better fit for you and I think that's great; anytime someone finds a way for technology to improve their lives, it puts a smile on my face. However, you can't use Android, switch to iOS and demand that they both be the same. It's like going to a Mercedes dealership and demanding they give you a car that looks and drives like a Lexus. At the end of the day, Android=extreme customization and a more open platform and Apple= a walled garden with a simple, beautiful and easy to use approach. No amount of disdain or venting will change this fact.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Seems like a fairly reasonable expectation, just not something that's always offered.

If someone says they should be able to do what they want in their home (as long as its legal let's say), is that somehow childish?
Well in the context of this thread then I would suggest that those who feel a loss of personal freedom because of a operating system should learn to code. Or shut up, whichever works

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well in the context of this thread then I would suggest that those who feel a loss of personal freedom because of a operating system should learn to code. Or shut up, whichever works
I'm not really sure what that says about those who express their opinion that other's should "shut up" about expressing their opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.