Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
There's a special site for that - it's called "Google.com".

Google, at least in the browser, can't do everything Siri can do - like setting reminders for example.

I think he means that you would be able to type into Siri directly rather than just edit commands you've spoken aloud already, which would be useful from time to time.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How about voice-less Siri? Many times in a meeting/waiting in line at Starbucks/etc. I want to ask Siri something but I feel stupid doing it out loud. Sure I could open Safari or an app and type it in, but that loses the point of having everything (like sports schedules) in one spot.

When the iProbe is released, Siri will be able read your mind and there will be no need for typing or speaking. :D

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
yes please! hope they nix stocks, newsstand, compass, voice memos, and tips while they're at it

Disagree. I use Newsstand. I have a couple dozen magazine and newspaper subs there, and I like it.

I also use the compass occasionally, and I do use voice memos, which works very well.

I don't want them to "nix" anything. If you don't use, or like them, put them into a folder, and position it at the back somewhere.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The next-generation iPhone will feature some form of Force Touch as one of the biggest new additions to the hardware, a rumor that has been circulating since the beginning of the year and only gaining forward momentum. The report today, however, specifically mentions that Apple has designed iOS 9 "to be Force Touch-ready" and is already hard at work with developers to integrate the technology into various apps.

It is important to know that force touch on Apple Watch feels vastly different from force touch on MacBook and updated MacBook Pros.

Whereas click feedback on MacBooks feel extremely real, on the Apple Watch, it's nothing more than a little buzz. That is not to diminish the value of "deep click" for getting more options, but I wish it felt more like a real click.

The company also seems to be considering removing the little-used Game Center app altogether in iOS 9

Game Center app probably belongs in Settings app, as does Newsstand app.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
I remember a few Android devices vibrating the phone when you type on the keyboard. Sure, asymmetrical weights does not equal electromagnetism like in the Watch or the MacBooks, but it's the only thing possible on older hardware.

Yeah... and that's Android's budget version; where's their REAL haptics? Apple aren't going to be doing that - on this, you can count.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
+1 for an updated keyboard design. It works but is sorely lacking on the iPhone Plus side.

I was really looking forward to using the keyboard in my 6+ because my big fingers would have more room for error with bigger keys, but it has been a total disappointment. The keys actually get smaller in landscape and you have to stretch your fingers to get to the middle keys. Yet on my iPad Mini, I could split the keyboard for that purpose.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
How many engineers does it take to get the shift key right?

I don't understand how some people can have a problem with the shift key. The arrow is white when it's off, black when it's being used for one letter, and a double tap adds the line on the bottom for "lock".

It's pretty obvious, and easy. I think it says more about these few who can't seem to figure it out after a few uses, than it does about the way the key itself works.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Disagree. I use Newsstand. I have a couple dozen magazine and newspaper subs there, and I like it.

I also use the compass occasionally, and I do use voice memos, which works very well.

I don't want them to "nix" anything. If you don't use, or like them, put them into a folder, and position it at the back somewhere.

for a device that prides itself on elegance, it has some of the jankiest ways to do things. putting things in a folder because they should simply be apps downloadable from the app store is not by any means a good solution.

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Title is hugely flawed (typical mr incompetence). The hardware implements force touch, this title implies this feature would be suddenly available to previous gen devices, through a mere update.

SORT YOUR JOURNALISM OUT!

Hello there, you have a good point, but the thing about titles is that we generally try to simultaneously keep them as succinct as possible while believing our audience will fill in the blanks on the information left out. Here, it's that anything with Force Touch and Haptic Feedback will be on a new piece of hardware, not a 6 or 6 Plus.

And if someone didn't understand that, the information is provided in the right context throughout the article.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Good stuff. I'll also take Force Push, Force Grip and - my personal favourite - Force Lightning.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Next, Apple is rumored to be working on a new keyboard experience for iOS 9, with the company experimenting on multiple designs, like one that is "slightly longer than the current keyboard" and provides users with a more robust suite of editing options while in portrait mode.

I just hope they don't clutter up the keyboard too much. On my 6 Plus my horizontal keyboard is too cluttered with crap that I never use. I'd prefer the option to turn it off. If they really wanted to improve the keyboard, especially for the 6 Plus, they would allow you to pull it apart into a split keyboard like you can on the iPad.

The force touch stuff sounds good. I do have to wonder if force touch will be used to enable split screen multitasking. For instance, press two fingers down firmly to enter split screen mode and it puts your most recently used app side-by-side with the current app. Maybe while in this mode it starts out with the ability to edit it, like on the Apple Watch, and you can scroll through apps to snap to snap on the side. Then two finger force touch again to confirm. Maybe three finger force touch to exit split screen? Force touch on the border to drag it right or left to make it go between 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3? Yeah they probably won't use the exact gestures I've described to enable/disable it but I really think force touch will be the activator for those modes. I also hope that the implementation of force touch will be in such a way that we can do pressure sensitive drawing but that might be held for the iPad Pro.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I would really love it if they would just copy Googles stock android keyboard. That thing gets gesture typing done so well that its hard to use anything else. I have tried multiple iOS keyboards with gesture typing and they all put in stupid words, some put in words with capitals in the middle of the words on occasion and all of them are unreliable especially with the messages app where the keyboard just won't pop up unless I force quit the app and reopen.

Also I am a fan of how google lets you long press certain keys to get numbers etc. And while they are at it maybe they should make the keys look different when you are typing capitals so its easier to tell that pressing shift has worked

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wish to get support for non-english keyboards, as this is still unheard of for some idiotic reason. Want to type ö, ű, é, or other accented letters, or ç in French, etc? Well, it's not possible, sorry, no one cares about non-english speakers. How about 3rd party keyboards? They don't care either.

Yes, extra keys won't fit on the iPhone 4 or 5. But the new extra huge iPhones can fit extra keys without issues, not to mention all sizes of the iPad.

You're kidding me right? You just have to hold down the letter key to see the accented versions such as é, ö, and ú. Im doing this on ios right now.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
yes please! hope they nix stocks, newsstand, compass, voice memos, and tips while they're at it

Or at least FINALLY give us the option to delete it from the phone.

Or at the least, since Apple isn't going to get rid of them most likely, you should be able to toggle them on/off via settings so they don't appear if you don't want them.

Compass should be incorporated into Maps, Newsstand into iBooks, Tips into Settings.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Wish to get support for non-english keyboards, as this is still unheard of for some idiotic reason. Want to type ö, ű, é, or other accented letters, or ç in French, etc? Well, it's not possible, sorry, no one cares about non-english speakers. How about 3rd party keyboards? They don't care either.

Yes, extra keys won't fit on the iPhone 4 or 5. But the new extra huge iPhones can fit extra keys without issues, not to mention all sizes of the iPad.

Umm, could you elaborate a bit? For after all, international keyboards have been available in iOS as long as I've had an iPhone (from the iPhone 3G) and when I have a Finnish keyboard selected, I do have our additional characters ä, ö, and å available on the main keyboard (as opposed to being hidden under a and o). Pardon me if I missed something, but to me it sounds like you could take a better look at your iPhone's settings.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
In Office or Out Patient Surgery?

When the iProbe is released, Siri will be able read your mind and there will be no need for typing or speaking. :D
Will the new iProbe be a simple implant procedure that can be performed easily under local anesthesia or will it require a full "knock out" to get the tint pin into the brain? :eek:

However, it we're talking wireless and wearing a patch a la seasickness variety, this may be worth the trip to the pharmacy, er Apple Store. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.