Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 12 is the exception, so far.
Battery life seems really awful on iOS 12, yet overall performance - at least on several iPhone 7s I have seen - is near the initial iOS version, which is a great achievement by Apple.
Specific app-related quirks like those previously stated are still possible and have been reported, though, which is what I'm saying.
So that particular issue isn't some sort of a constant or a given fact as far as it being present for those who update to iOS 11. Simply possible (as most things are essentially), which is basically what I mentioned originally. Seems like we are in agreement.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Battery age has such an effect on this, there's no value in this sort of anecdotal comparison.

Why not? If you have a phone with decent battery life on iOS 9, and after upgrading that same phone to iOS 12, battery life takes a dive, how is that not a very valuable comparison? Same phone. Same battery. Different OSs.

Reactions: FeliApple

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Why not? If you have a phone with decent battery life on iOS 9, and after upgrading that same phone to iOS 12, battery life takes a dive, how is that not a very valuable comparison? Same phone. Same battery. Different OSs.
The comparison I referenced was with two different phones.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The comparison I referenced was with two different phones.
You have a point, but as I said, in my experience, battery Health is largely irrelevant, unless severely degraded.
I have another example. An iPhone 7, updated to iOS 12, lasts 4-5 hours. It was getting the exact same 8-9 hours on iOS 10, as my 6s is currently lasting.
I compared it directly back when both were new, the battery life was exactly the same. Played a YouTube video on the same network with the same settings, they dropped at exactly the same rate.
The 7 was updated, lasts 4-5 hours. My 6s was not, lasts the same 8-9 hours it always did. Is the 7 more degraded than my 6s? I don't know, but even if it was, it doesn't account for such a staggering difference. I tend to use devices for a long time, and battery life never really decreases. I never update. Is my battery health 50%? No, but I have had below 80% devices remain relatively unchanged (no large drops) in battery life, when maintained in the same iOS version. There is no way battery health accounts for a massive >50% drop in battery life, in my experience.

Reactions: janeauburn

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
Battery life is really terrible on iOS 12. i have a 6s and can barely get above 2hours of screentime on a full charge. The battery is at 95%, 7 months old. That’s totally pathetic. Performance, on the other hand, is great, much better than the terrible ios11, almost as in 10, except for some rare waits...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.