Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
If anything, it should be a feature request to make it a settings toggle. My devices are night and day different with the glitch implemented. My phone feels as responsive as my win 7 desktop(animations off as well) when switching apps.
I have already sent a feature request about this on radar.

Reactions: Act3

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
1. Turn on AssistiveTouch.
2. Go to home screen. Drag the white AssistiveTouch dot to bottom right corner.
3. Pull down spotlight.
4. Pull back up to dismiss Spotlight.
5. Repeat step 3-4 for 20 times (exact number of times varies a little from device to device).
6. Enjoy a system with no SpringBoard animation.

Works with all iOS 9 devices. On iPad or iPhone 6 Plus, you can alternatively rotate the screen repetitively. The key is to make AssistiveTouch animate over and over against the keyboard, so that SpringBoard's animation engine gets confused.

Any word on whether beta 6 "fixes" this?

I did this on 9.3 public beta 6, iPhone 6. Took 30 spotlight pull-downs; the first time round, doing it 20 times, did not work. It's almost too fast..

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
This bug is so good it's probably bad for Apple's profits... they'd want your device to feel sluggish so you buy a new one right?

I was thinking today, as I use my iPhone 6s with this glitch enabled, that this glitch makes the performance seem faster than the gain in UI performance that I got when upgrading from the iPhone 6.

My 6s and Air 2 seem identical speed wise in the UI.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
This bug is so good it's probably bad for Apple's profits... they'd want your device to feel sluggish so you buy a new one right?
I don't doubt that Apple willfully neglects old devices' slowness because it makes the new ones seem faster, but I think there must have been some other rhyme or reason to the "input lag" issue, because it comes and goes. There was no such lag up to 6.1.6, then the input lag was present on 7.0.x, then no lag on 7.1.x, then reappeared in iOS 8.

It must have some benefit or make the iOS development team's life easier in some way. Personally my phone and tablet were perfect on 7.1.2 so I don't think there is any benefit to the user, but maybe it is for the benefit of the iOS team. Maybe they get less complaints, or coding the animations is easier, or something.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
1. Turn on AssistiveTouch.
2. Go to home screen. Drag the white AssistiveTouch dot to bottom right corner.
3. Pull down spotlight.
4. Pull back up to dismiss Spotlight.
5. Repeat step 3-4 for 20 times (exact number of times varies a little from device to device).
6. Enjoy a system with no SpringBoard animation.

Works with all iOS 9 devices. On iPad or iPhone 6 Plus, you can alternatively rotate the screen repetitively. The key is to make AssistiveTouch animate over and over against the keyboard, so that SpringBoard's animation engine gets confused.
This is insane. My iPhone 6 is ridiculously fast.

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
I was septical but I love it on my iPhone !!!

A shame it doesn't seem to work on the iPad, because I use the closing gesture all the time (didn't try it out on the iPad yet, just read the other comment)

I really recommend everyone to try this out

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
It started with iOS 7 and I think there was no way back in 7.x or newer. IMHO iOS 7 was bad anyway as it was the first version with the new design.
However it should be way better with iOS 9 now but it's not the case.

How can we reach apple to fix the input lag?
Maybe MacRumors can write an article about that?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
If anything, it should be a feature request to make it a settings toggle. My devices are night and day different with the glitch implemented. My phone feels as responsive as my win 7 desktop(animations off as well) when switching apps.

The speed seen "When switching apps" is actually a feature that was in an iOS 8 or 9 beta (forgot which one).

I was able to Double tap the home button and even as the animations were still moving this feature allowed selecting an app.

The spotlight bug isn't as elegant but it restores this feature. Finally!!

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
this is great - stupid reduce motion absolutely stuffs up multitasking, but this works well.

I don't like reduce motion, but I like the messed up task switcher that it gets. Can I have regular animations with the reduced motion task switcher?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't like reduce motion, but I like the messed up task switcher that it gets. Can I have regular animations with the reduced motion task switcher?
I wish that was a separate option because I'd like to have reduced motion on, but the task switcher in reduce motion drives me crazy, but then other people like you like it that way - that way everyone could have it the way they liked :)

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Both good news and bad news:

Good news: Apple has re-opened my bug report about input blocking.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.23.35 AM.png

And bad news: Apple closed my bug report about allowing further reducing animation. "Reduce motion is for users who have trouble looking at existing animations. It is not meant as a way to speed up system transitions."

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.26.02 AM.png

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Both good news and bad news:

Good news: Apple has re-opened my bug report about input blocking.

View attachment 620494

And bad news: Apple closed my bug report about allowing further reducing animation. "Reduce motion is for users who have trouble looking at existing animations. It is not meant as a way to speed up system transitions."

View attachment 620496

Wow that's more good news than bad, nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: d5aqoëp

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Wasn't input blocking put in place because of complaints since iOS 7 where if you did a 4 finger pinch gesture to close an app window some would inadvertently touch an app icon and trigger it to open? For some reason I remember this being a problem for some when iOS 7 launched. And for some reason and I could be wrong but it could even trigger a reboot of an iPad. It never happened to me but for some reason I remember this being a problem in the past.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Wasn't input blocking put in place because of complaints since iOS 7 where if you did a 4 finger pinch gesture to close an app window some would inadvertently touch an app icon and trigger it to open? For some reason I remember this being a problem for some when iOS 7 launched. And for some reason and I could be wrong but it could even trigger a reboot of an iPad. It never happened to me but for some reason I remember this being a problem in the past.

I've never had that issue either but then again I never really noticed the input blocking in any version of iOS other than iOS 9 and above. From the videos posted, one may see the input blocking difference between 8.4.1 and 9

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
There is a good chance that we will see an improvement in iOS 10 as Apple hasn't fixed the animation bug yet and they already published two new updates!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Cause Apple doesn't want to be seen as a copy cat.

2016-04-17-11-47-19-png.627353
Apple has all those types of options, they just don't think that the general public needs deal with them or be exposed to them (and realistically peaking for the general customer out there, they are likely correct).

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Apple has all those types of options, they just don't think that the general public needs deal with them or be exposed to them (and realistically peaking for the general customer out there, they are likely correct).

Just to let you know, everyone I show the no-animation bug, ie the "general customer" loves it and asks me how they can make their phone as 'fast' as mine.

When it comes to speed and responsiveness, this is something that appeals to a wide audience, the "general public", it is not a niche thing. So a setting or option to reduce or kill animations might have a wider audience than you think, I wouldn't underestimate it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just to let you know, everyone I show the no-animation bug, ie the "general customer" loves it and asks me how they can make their phone as 'fast' as mine.

When it comes to speed and responsiveness, this is something that appeals to a wide audience, the "general public", it is not a niche thing. So a setting or option to reduce or kill animations might have a wider audience than you think, I wouldn't underestimate it.
I wasn't responding to just disabling animations, but to specific lower level controls that were shown from Android. As far as disabling animations, I don't doubt many would like it (although many wouldn't really look for it either), but seems like Apple likes a certain design that it offers and doesn't necessarily want people to disable things to the degree that nothing is there (they don't even seem to offer it in OS X, at least not natively through their preferences). I'm not saying that's good or anything, just their approach to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.