Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Relevant mobile touchscreen? :D

Either way, Apple didn't steal it from Android...which was my main point.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
really? Please show us. One problem you might run into though is that no current phones running pure (or close to pure) Android even have SD Cards. Good luck to you.

Really?

I have been using the SD Card with my Xperia Ray with Kit kat. Yes, it has a SD card and it run AOSP.

You're the one saying that Kit Kat can't use SD card. Prove it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Really?

I have been using the SD Card with my Xperia Ray with Kit kat. Yes, it has a SD card and it run AOSP.

Did I say KitKat? Or did I say vanilla Android? BTW, never heard of an Experia Ray? Was that a phone for Eastern Europe?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Did I say KitKat? Or did I say vanilla Android? BTW, never heard of an Experia Ray? Was that a phone for Eastern Europe?
Then what the **** are you talking about the SD card?

Eastern Europe? As you don't know about Sony Ericsson Xperia ray it must be an Eastern Europe unknown phone

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Then what the **** are you talking about the SD card?

Eastern Europe? As you don't know about Sony Ericsson Xperia ray it must be an Eastern Europe unknown phone

Might want to direct you rage someplace else. I was not the person that began talking SD cards as a benefit over ios. I am sure you'll be able to figure it out though.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The big difference between Android and IOS is that Android can be enhanced to provide greater functionality such as the S-Pen, split-screen multitasking, removable storage found on the Note 4 which produces more productivity.

OR you could say the big difference is that Android is the malware platform of choice...or you could say that Android is the platform that's going to kill the device makers who race to the bottom...or you could say that Android is the platform of choice for those who settle for inferiority, who don't recognize quality, who value spec sheets over experience...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I still feel like IOS is a more refined phone OS, but lollipop has closed the gap.

If you are a basic user they are both very similar. I still feel like apple has a better calendar app, dialer app, photo app, email, etc. The core apps for an OS.

Granted I am using a nexus 5 with lollipop, but for some reason I find the google "ecosystem" not as polished. Most things really do feel like a beta.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
We had multitasking and notifications on iOS before the first Android smartphones were available. The early iOS jailbreak developers were the first to implement them on a mobile platform. It's quite the stretch to say Apple stole them from Android. Widgets existed on computers long before Android added them. It's kind of a no-brainer to expect any of these things to make their way to handheld computers.

And mobile phones had app stores and notifications before Apple even thought of the iPhone, so what's your point? That Apple invented the mobile phone? Mind you reading the usual FUD in this thread it wouldn't surprise me.

----------

Really?

Ah I remember that one, kinda the first foray for Sony into small Android smart phones with cameras as the selling point if I remember. I'm looking forward to the Xperia Z4 Compact. But you can't install every app to the SD card in 4.4, Google broke it, but in version 5 they have fixed it again. For instance I can't download a Flixster film into an SD card, only internal storage due to the restrictions of 4.4

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
But you can't install every app to the SD card in 4.4, Google broke it, but in version 5 they have fixed it again. For instance I can't download a Flixster film into an SD card, only internal storage due to the restrictions of 4.4

Google limited what you can do with the SD card, an application can only write to the folders it creates, yap.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Google limited what you can do with the SD card, an application can only write to the folders it creates, yap.

Which was very daft! But you are restricted to how you can move apps to the cards, I just read about it all and everyone was blaming googles dislike of SD cards, thank goodness they listened and changed it.

Apple did invent the modern mobile phone, with the multi-touch GUI interface.

No Apple did not invent the modern smartphone, they bought multi touch first, just, and capacititive glass touch screens, everything else they had has already existed for ages.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple did invent the modern mobile phone, with the multi-touch GUI interface.

Nope. iPhone evolved from technology before it. Was using touch and stylus input Dell Axim X5 with Sprint CF2013 CDMA compact flash card for voice and data back around 2002 long before the first iPhone released in 2007. Did pretty much everything the iPhone could do plus more such as browsing, stream movies, mail, calendar, VPN, remote terminal to Cisco equipment, etc.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Nope. iPhone evolved from technology before it. Was using touch and stylus input Dell Axim X5 with Sprint CF2013 CDMA compact flash card for voice and data back around 2002 long before the first iPhone released in 2007. Did pretty much everything the iPhone could do plus more such as browsing, stream movies , mail, calendar, VPN, remote terminal to Cisco equipment, etc.

Hahaha, only 2002, what about 1993:
Apple was even first with a stylus.

5f2a29db92d50059ace413e0a0af3b68.jpg

Rumor is this is where Samsung got their inspiration for the Galaxy note .

Bs you were streaming movies to your pda in 2002

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Nope. iPhone evolved from technology before it. Was using touch and stylus input Dell Axim X5 with Sprint CF2013 CDMA compact flash card for voice and data back around 2002 long before the first iPhone released in 2007. Did pretty much everything the iPhone could do plus more such as browsing, stream movies, mail, calendar, VPN, remote terminal to Cisco equipment, etc.

It had resistive touch with a stylus, not a multi-touch full screen GUI interface. Trying to argue that Apple didn't bring this to the world is like trying to argue that the Mac wasn't original because MS-DOS preceded it.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
ITT: TC uses an iOS-like launcher to call Android similar to iOS.

The only major difference between Android and iOS is what each system allows its developers to do. I for one cannot leave Tasker and sideloading behind.

inb4 Apple fanboys say I have malware thanks to sideloading.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
And mobile phones had app stores and notifications before Apple even thought of the iPhone, so what's your point? That Apple invented the mobile phone? Mind you reading the usual FUD in this thread it wouldn't surprise me.

----------

Ah I remember that one, kinda the first foray for Sony into small Android smart phones with cameras as the selling point if I remember. I'm looking forward to the Xperia Z4 Compact. But you can't install every app to the SD card in 4.4, Google broke it, but in version 5 they have fixed it again. For instance I can't download a Flixster film into an SD card, only internal storage due to the restrictions of 4.4
No. Of course they didn't invent the mobile phone. My entire point was that Apple didn't "steal" those features from Android, as one of the other users here stated.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
It had resistive touch with a stylus, not a multi-touch full screen GUI interface. Trying to argue that Apple didn't bring this to the world is like trying to argue that the Mac wasn't original because MS-DOS preceded it.

And apparently he was streaming movies on it back in 2002.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Hahaha, only 2002, what about 1993:
Apple was even first with a stylus.

Rumor is this is where Samsung got their inspiration for the Galaxy note .

Bs you were streaming movies to your pda in 2002

But the Newton was about as useful as a 1960 Etch-a-Sketch. Streamed DVD transcoded movies on the Axim X5 using Betaplayer over 802.11g WIFI from PC acting as media server (Google it). The experience is very close to what we have today. And, the Axim X5 has a 3.5" display just like many of the iPhones that came out five years later. ;)

beatles-etch-a-sketch.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.