Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The smartphone market is largely dominated by Android and iOS, dividing smartphone users into two camps: those who stick with the Android operating system and those who use Apple's iPhones.

Major players in the smartphone market like Apple, Google, and Samsung all aim to lure "switchers" with dedicated websites and tools for switching platforms, but new data from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners [PDF] suggests getting loyal smartphone users to change operating systems is a tough task.

Over the course of the last two years, from 3Q 2013 to 2Q 2015, CIRP has learned that Android and Apple have both retained users at approximately the same rate, with Google having a slight edge. When choosing a new phone, 82 percent of Android users stuck with Android, and 78 percent of iOS users chose to continue using an iPhone.

customerretentionrateiosandroid-800x220.jpg

The data also suggests that Apple users switched over to Android at a slightly higher rate. 20 percent of new Android users previously had an iPhone, while 16 percent of new iOS users previously had an Android device. Customers purchasing their first smartphone were more likely to choose Android devices, with 62 percent of first time buyers picking Android and 24 percent of picking iOS.
"The dynamic between Apple iOS and Google Android is not well-understood," said Josh Lowitz, Partner and Co-Founder of CIRP. "Even the basic loyalty rate, the measure of how each operating system retains its own users, is not widely known. Conventional wisdom says the Apple 'ecosystem' promotes loyalty, while Android readily gives up users to iOS. Our analysis has a more nuanced view on operating system selection, and indicates Android user loyalty has caught up and even exceeds that of iOS."
Among customers who switched to a new mobile carrier at the same time as switching smartphones, the numbers were in Android's favor. 79 percent of Android users stuck with Android, while only 51 percent of iPhone users who swapped carriers chose an iPhone.

switchedcarriersretentionrate-800x241.jpg

According to CIRP, switching from Android to iOS is more common when customers switch to AT&T or Verizon, while switching from iOS to Android is associated with a switch to T-Mobile or Sprint. CIRP attributes the high number of iPhone to Android switchers to T-Mobile and Sprint's "aggressive contracts and pricing."

Apple often talks about the number of users switching from Android to iOS during its earnings calls and events, but Android vendors, like Google and Samsung, rarely mention the number of customers who switch from iOS to Android, so it often seems like Android customers are switching at a higher rate. CIRP's data, however, suggests the retainment rates and switching rates between iOS and Android are close, with customers largely remaining loyal to their platform of choice.

During the company's last earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company was seeing its highest switcher rate from Android that it had "ever measured."

CIRP's data was gathered from quarterly surveys of 4,000 U.S. subjects that activated a mobile phone from July 2013 to July 2015.

Article Link: iOS and Android Retain Loyal Users at Similar Rates

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wow. This is nearly two years worth of data and includes the much-ballyhooed iPhone 6. Apple's spin indicates a LOT more Android switchers than this survey. But then, how much profit are the Android vendors making compared to Apple? And I wouldn't doubt that sales associates at the mobile companies don't push Apple products too heavily; they probably get a higher commission for Android phones.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
So, the study says:
  • Android users are more loyal
  • Most first-time users go Android
  • There are more users switching from iOS, than to iOS
Yet... Apple sells more iPhone than ever. For years (or at least since July 2013), they have been beating their previous year sales both in units, but also in revenue$.

Makes all the sense this "study"!

How come people are fleeing iOS, if Apple sells more phones?

Is there any more (really unsuccessful) companies selling iOS devices besides Apple?

At this rate, Apple better use their money, buy 100% of AAPL stock, and let them play their media manipulation game between themselves.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Apple is too locked down for me on all fronts (design, compatibility, etc).

Windows is not there yet, but interesting things are happening.

Android is the more pragmatic and flexible platform of the three, at least currently.

Even with an all-Apple ecosystem at home (ipads, Appletvs, 3 Macs), I and the wife switched to Android 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Makes a lot of sense since there are more Android phones to choose from over Apple. The average consumer won't have fanboy bias in choosing a new device.
Sigh, not everybody that buys Apple has fanboy bias. You do realize many people have Macs and just want easy communication between their device and their computer. Lots of people have friends that have iPhones and they would rather trade iMessages and/or FaceTime. So if somebody chooses a Samsung premium smartphone does that mean they have Samsung fanboy bias? Spending more money on a product doesn't make somebody a fanboy. There are tons of cheap crap Android phones. Had Apple made cheap iOS phones they would be on the same level of sales as Android.

Reactions: macs4nw and V.K.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Makes a lot of sense since there are more Android phones to choose from over Apple. The average consumer won't have fanboy bias in choosing a new device.

Indeed, when a feature is missing on one Android device, you can most likely find it on another. When you go off iPhone, you go off iPhone.

…I think I just came up with a parody of the new iPhone ads' tagline.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Apple is too locked down for me on all fronts (design, compatibility, etc).

Windows is not there yet, but interesting things are happening.

Android is the more pragmatic and flexible platform of the three, at least currently.

Even with an all-Apple ecosystem at home (ipads, Appletvs, 3 Macs), I and the wife switched to Android 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

At first I bought Android because it was cheaper, but then I bought an iPhone.

Haven't looked back.

Android is too closed, you need to send all your data to Google to have "the good things" like Google Now, which is useless anyway...

Except when it's too open, when you're on your own to find an App that works, to do what iOS does for itself. Like sending texts and making calls through the computer.

Last edited:

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
At first I bought Android because it was cheaper, but then I bought an iPhone.

Haven't looked back.

Android is too closed, you need to send all your data to Google.

Except when it's too open, when you're on your own to find an App that works, to do what iOS does for itself. Like sending texts and making calls through the computer.

What really happens when you send all your data to Google? Do they call you at home in the evening? Do they solicite you? Do they send you emails? Just what does Google do with your data that bothers you? Please let me know.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I imagine a high number of switchers to Android are not consciously "switching to Android", but rather they are price sensitive and have found a way of paying much less per month by not upgrading to the latest iPhone. For example the Nexus 6 on Google's MVNO plan. That is one compelling reason to switch to Android. It almost has me considering it. The obvious other examples are the free Android phones on Metro PCS etc. If you are not particularly discerning about technology and you can save $30 a month by switching, why not?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I like that Macrumors is more willing to write stories like this now. I would have been surprised to see this type of balanced article two+ years ago.

I like my iPhone and won't switch to Android but it's about time the spin stops and people here begin to realize Android has a lot to offer. People defend Apple like it's their own child. Sometimes people switch away from iPhones; that's okay, and it doesn't make you stupid for keeping your iPhone.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Indeed, when a feature is missing on one Android device, you can most likely find it on another. When you go off iPhone, you go off iPhone.

…I think I just came up with a parody of the new iPhone ads' tagline.

I'm really sorry AngerDanger, but I think we're going to need to see a photoshop of that ad :D

Reactions: AngerDanger

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
So, the study says:
  • Android users are more loyal
  • Most first-time users go Android
  • There are more users switching from iOS, than to iOS
Yet... Apple sells more iPhone than ever. For years (or at least since July 2013), they have been beating their previous year sales both in units, but also in revenue$.

Makes all the sense this "study"!

How come people are fleeing iOS, if Apple sells more phones?

Is there any more (really unsuccessful) companies selling iOS devices besides Apple?

At this rate, Apple better use their money, buy 100% of AAPL stock, and let them play their media manipulation game between themselves.
Probably doesn't take in to account people buying iPhones, using them for a few days then returning them for an Android device.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
What really happens when you send all your data to Google? Do they call you at home in the evening? Do they solicite you? Do they send you emails? Just what does Google do with your data that bothers you? Please let me know.

This:

"Customers have needs, wants and nice-to-haves and traditional business models fulfil these for their customers. Google offers its customers needs, wants, and nice-to-haves for free. In return, whether knowingly or not, users create data whilst using Google services and products which creates information that is listed in the Google Search Engine; advertisement is then tailored based on the content delivered."

https://sites.google.com/site/net205apples/google-business-model

Among other things.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005

Their privacy policy states:
"Our automated systems analyze your content (including e-mails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection."

-You don't seem to understand, with Google, YOU are the product.
-Also, you should watch Citizenfour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.