Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
So, the study says:
  • Android users are more loyal
  • Most first-time users go Android
  • There are more users switching from iOS, than to iOS
Yet... Apple sells more iPhone than ever. For years (or at least since July 2013), they have been beating their previous year sales both in units, but also in revenue$.

Makes all the sense this "study"!

How come people are fleeing iOS, if Apple sells more phones?

Is there any more (really unsuccessful) companies selling iOS devices besides Apple?

At this rate, Apple better use their money, buy 100% of AAPL stock, and let them play their media manipulation game between themselves.
you analyzed this situation properly but I have to say that this is common mistake people make on their Analysis

the number provided are on % and you are comparing numbers against a percentage which is wrong

lets say 100 smartphone are sold in 2014 and 200 devices sold in 2015
10% of 100 unit sold is 10 iphone
10% of 200 unit sold is 20 iphone

Reactions: Variant

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
62% for first time buyers go for Android.... I didn't really wanna hear that.

62 vs 24 percent that a mass.. even though iPhone is strong in the U.S. seems that doesn't matter.

but lucky, i'm not in the U.S :)

Last edited:

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
It would be much more interesting and useful to see their data on a quarter by quarter basis. The overall average probably masks a change when the iPhone 6 came out.

alphaninjacat

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Boston
I imagine a high number of switchers to Android are not consciously "switching to Android", but rather they are price sensitive and have found a way of paying much less per month by not upgrading to the latest iPhone. For example the Nexus 6 on Google's MVNO plan. That is one compelling reason to switch to Android. It almost has me considering it. The obvious other examples are the free Android phones on Metro PCS etc. If you are not particularly discerning about technology and you can save $30 a month by switching, why not?

Yes! This is it. With Verizon go no contracts there will be more people switching or keeping there current phone do to cost. Most people were somewhat tricked into believing the phone they received was or is free, so they would usually go for the highest priced option or the most popular option at the time. Right now with the option to bring a phone or buy one new on installment plans, a good percentage of people are opting to keep there current phone or seeking out a more afford (Use or New) option...

The same method works with credit. People unconsciously over spend. Take away the credit and the person will immediately question the cost and most-likely seek out a more affordable option or keep there current option.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My long-time Android friends--always fighting their phones, rebooting, unable to reach 5pm without a dead battery, unable to use my favorite apps at all, burning money on a new one every year when the software updates stop coming or the plastic shell cracks--all LOVE them. They assume iPhone has those same problems AND worse, and would never think of switching to evil Apple. They are using no Android-specific benefits (hacking the OS etc.) but they swallow Samsung's ads and blog troll-bait like it's gospel. So they spend way more than I do, and get far less, and think I'm crazy.

It reminds me of the days when Windows users would not consider a Mac specifically BECAUSE Windows was so awful: it made them afraid to switch because they believed the problems were the same on "all computers," and Windows was baffling enough. Why switch to a Mac, unfamiliar and therefore impossible to figure out, AND keep the same malware and crashes as Windows? (In their minds.)

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Probably doesn't take in to account people buying iPhones, using them for a few days then returning them for an Android device.

It would show up in Apple's bottom line. Being that this is the only report that refutes Apple's claims (backed up by their financials) and other reports showing Apple gaining share, I'm thinking this report is flawed.

IslandIdealist

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
What really happens when you send all your data to Google? Do they call you at home in the evening? Do they solicite you? Do they send you emails? Just what does Google do with your data that bothers you? Please let me know.

It's not that Google directly bothers us with spam, it's the idea of it. I don't feel comfortable with Google making money off of the data they get from me. Apple's philosophy is how I wish more companies were. Your private information is your private information!

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Bold: Says enough.

Not only that, but that's a period where there's no new iPhone, but we're getting close to a new one so many are waiting because they read rumours, or they're relatively close to their upgrade, but not quite there.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I read the PDF and it fails to separate the under $500 phones and the over $500 phones. I want to see a real comparison, not one that include phones that barely work and cost $10.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Their privacy policy states:
"Our automated systems analyze your content (including e-mails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection."

-You don't seem to understand, with Google, YOU are the product.
-Also, you should watch Citizenfour
then disable tailored advertising. Its totally possible to stop every data google collects.
then what do u think you are to Apple?? all they need is your money.
go ahead and ask for mony from Apple for being so loyal. they will say **** you.

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
I imagine a high number of switchers to Android are not consciously "switching to Android", but rather they are price sensitive and have found a way of paying much less per month by not upgrading to the latest iPhone. For example the Nexus 6 on Google's MVNO plan. That is one compelling reason to switch to Android. It almost has me considering it. The obvious other examples are the free Android phones on Metro PCS etc. If you are not particularly discerning about technology and you can save $30 a month by switching, why not?
so why isnt windows phone and blackberry seeing a similar uptake in customer in the low end?
if price was all they care about and the OS really didnt matter why arent there people switching to them a lot?

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm surprised by this. I would think that an iOS user would have a more difficult time adjusting to Android OS then the other way around, due to the respective learning curves

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Wow. This is nearly two years worth of data and includes the much-ballyhooed iPhone 6. Apple's spin indicates a LOT more Android switchers than this survey. But then, how much profit are the Android vendors making compared to Apple? And I wouldn't doubt that sales associates at the mobile companies don't push Apple products too heavily; they probably get a higher commission for Android phones.

At least at Verizon this is true.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
then disable tailored advertising. Its totally possible to stop every data google collects.
then what do u think you are to Apple?? all they need is your money.
go ahead and ask for mony from Apple for being so loyal. they will say **** you.

uhh..why would I ask for money from Apple? I'm exchanging my money for their product. I could care less "what I am to Apple".

Here's the difference:

Apple creates products for it's user's to use.

Google uses it's users as it's products.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
All the android users I talk to, about half are loyal, the other half just want the cheapest thing out there. So while Android meets both those expectations, is that really what Android wants? To be 50% or so known to have low-to-no budget users not helping their ecosystem? I mean, most of Apple users I speak to have at least bought some apps.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I'm on the N6 on Project Fi. The first time I held a Nexus was when it showed up after I ordered it and I was shocked at how high the build quality was. Apple no longer has a lock on high build quality phones, and like you said Fi is an awesome service. I'm saving 30/ month from Verizon and getting twice the service now. Th

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm surprised by this. I would think that an iOS user would have a more difficult time adjusting to Android OS then the other way around, due to the respective learning curves

learning curve ? to each their own... Apple doesn't exactly keep buttons in the same place either.

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
uhh..why would I ask for money from Apple? I'm exchanging my money for their product. I could care less "what I am to Apple".

Here's the difference:

Apple creates products for it's user's to use.

Google uses it's users as it's products.
that's just your opinion man. they sell ads to you(customer) their product is ads.

Reactions: SirCheese

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
true on both accounts.
however if the product is not used, how can Google make money on it.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It's not that Google directly bothers us with spam, it's the idea of it. I don't feel comfortable with Google making money off of the data they get from me. Apple's philosophy is how I wish more companies were. Your private information is your private information!

What Google data collection can you not opt out of? (Not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely asking.)

alphaninjacat

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Boston
s
My long-time Android friends--always fighting their phones, rebooting, unable to reach 5pm without a dead battery, unable to use my favorite apps at all, burning money on a new one every year when the software updates stop coming or the plastic shell cracks--all LOVE them. They assume iPhone has those same problems AND worse, and would never think of switching to evil Apple. They are using no Android-specific benefits (hacking the OS etc.) but they swallow Samsung's ads and blog troll-bait like it's gospel. So they spend way more than I do, and get far less, and think I'm crazy.

It reminds me of the days when Windows users would not consider a Mac specifically BECAUSE Windows was so awful: it made them afraid to switch because they believed the problems were the same on "all computers," and Windows was baffling enough. Why switch to a Mac, unfamiliar and therefore impossible to figure out, AND keep the same malware and crashes as Windows? (In their minds.)

Um! People were tricked into buying Apple PCs via Mac vs. PC. Mac is a PC. Yeah, those commercials lasted long! Mac is just the name of an Apple PC. Apple always spoke of viruses, yet viruses rarely exist today. Spyware, Fraudware, Adware, and Ransom-ware are the real threat. Malware is usually used to steal information or deliver crappy ads and can be found on OSX, Windows and Linux. Windows is the most popular do to the number of users.

Also, a good percentage of Windows users would not consider an Apple PC do to the lack of programs available at the time and cost of ownership.

When Vista came out, it posed the greatest threat Apple ever seen. It looked great and had innovative integrated features, but it was doomed to fail because PC manufactures did not equip Vista PCs with proper hardware. Once the hardware caught up, out from the ashes came one of the most popular operating systems ever "Windows 7" and at its core is Vista. And now Windows 8 and 10 are so optimized they both can run on as little as 1GB/Ram and run circles around the new Mac Mini (4GB/Ram) with as little as 2GB/Ram. Apple's OSX now require 8GB/Ram and an SSD just to run halfway decent. Apple's spinning wheel of death intrigues me every time I see it.

Apple OSX is the new Vista :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

modemthug

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
What Google data collection can you not opt out of? (Not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely asking.)

Unless you install CyanogenMod and don't install Gapps, there's no way to "opt out" of any sort of data collection except maybe location data from Google.

People need to understand that Android with Google Apps is absolutely spyware.

danfrumkin

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
These are activations. I wonder if there would be a change if they also considered how long folks held onto their phones? I know when I played with android phones, I would have 3 activations a years (switching phones, carriers). But now I have been on the same activation for years.

Just wondering if it would make a difference.

macman01101

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
that's just your opinion man. they sell ads to you(customer) their product is ads.

It's not an opinion, Google makes 69% of it's revenue from Google.com advertising and Youtube advertising. From my early post quoting their privacy policy, they get that information on what to market TO you, FROM you. YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/technology/google-earnings/

Read the 10k or listen to the conference call, or don't. You're just spewing things and relying on cliches like "that's just your opinion," accusing me of blind loyalty to Apple, without thinking about what you're saying. I'm not trashing Google, it's just simply their business.

And fyi - 68% of Apple's revenue comes from iPhone sales. You're simply uniformed.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/253649/iphone-revenue-as-share-of-apples-total-revenue/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.