iOS annoyance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPC, May 21, 2011.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

The one biggest annoyance I have with iOS 4 is the multiple app icons in the bar when double click on the home button, by the end of the day, I have something like over 30 icons of all apps I used in the day. My questions are, why can't the app just simply quit like it used to be? do they take up any memory or other resources while not in use, do they run any tasks in the background? Is there a way to get rid all of them with a simple tap instead of remove they one by one? Can this be prevented in the first place? This really annoys the crap of me!! http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Those apps are not necessarily open. Think of that more as a recently used list. You don't need to do anything with those apps, if you leave them alone it won't hurt anything.

Apple is very restrictive when it comes to multi tasking, even apps that are still "open" are really more suspended unless they are finishing up a task. It's not like a computer where each of those apps listed is using up your resources.

3. newskin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here, unfortunately iOS doesn't have a built in "clear all" yet. If u jailbreak though, u can grab "remove recents" and set it up where u just tap the status bar to clear all apps.

4. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Yeah but they do slow the phone/iPad down the more we open without closing. So they are open in one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I never close mine, use a whole bunch of different apps and only restart my phone when there is an update. I have never had any slow down.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have and notice the phone becomes less laggy when I close them. Probably depends on the apps.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

7. Daveoc64, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Nonsense.

iOS has such crippled multitasking that this can't be true.

If anything, "killing" an App will make it slower to restart that App in the future.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Sorry but this is how it works. Have you ever read the how To tune your iPad or phone? They even say close the apps. It works on mine.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Care to back this up?

I'm using the Apple iOS developer documentation as my source here, what are you using other than FUD spread by people trying to get ad impressions?

I'm also using the stuff I learned on my Computer Science Degree. There is no benefit to having RAM sitting there doing nothing. Any modern OS (whether that is iOS, Android, Windows, Linux or Mac OS X) knows how to manage memory much better than you do. It will cache things in memory to save time loading them again in the future. Removing things from the memory doesn't save power or improve performance.

10. fizzwinkus, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011

fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

care to back this up? or are you still relying on your cs degree over real world programming experience.

care to back this up? i'd specifically like to see the documentation page where apple says "iOS has such crippled multitasking that this can't be true."

11. Daveoc64, May 21, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Let's look at these two screenshots.

Note how much I have open in the earlier shot, compared to the second image.

I have plenty of apps "in memory", but iOS doesn't allow them to do anything (hence no change in CPU time). Note "AmazonUK" as an example.

Opening every Angry Birds Game, Cut The Rope, Tiny Wings, Fruit Ninja, Words with Friends, Safari, Amazon, eBay, Converter+, VLC, Notes, Twitter, Facebook as well as Skype maintaining a 4 way call does nothing to the performance of the device.

In the event that the device actually ran out of memory, something would automatically be cleared to make space.

Apple simply lists how their multitasking APIs work. If you understood them fully then you'd know why it's not possible for an App to hog resources.

A more consumer friendly page:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/multitasking.html

Attached Files:

12. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

+1

I occasionally close all apps in the multitask bar, and yes I experience an performance increasement. It's not like it boost the performance times ten, but I can feel it:)

13. fizzwinkus, May 21, 2011

fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

obviously this has nothing to do with performance in specific situations such as switching apps. it's an instantaneous change requiring 0 cpu cycles, and no access to memory.

i'm still waiting for you to back this up - you can give me doc/page numbers if you like and i can dust off my old dev account.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you read through:

http://developer.apple.com/library/.../BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html

You'll get the gist of why very few Apps can actually run in the background.

You'll note that any App can run something in "Task Completion" for a maximum of 10 minutes when it is closed. You'll also note that a VOIP app can only run for a maximum of 30 seconds, no more frequently than every 10 minutes (except when in a call).

I used the word "crippled" purely because no other OS has restrictions like this.

15. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

that's an arbitrary rule for applying the word crippled.

and you haven't been able to back up that swapping memory to disk has no effect on performance either.

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

In terms of Multitasking OSes, how would you apply it?

iOS is the most restrictive of all current Mobile and Desktop Operating Systems - and not for technical reasons. The software and hardware are capable of much more, but Apple restricts it. Hence Crippled.

I haven't made that claim. It's obvious that RAM is faster than even the flash memory that the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch uses.

17. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i'd say it's a welcome change - developers have been writing bad software for far too long without consequence. the app store is a push towards software written with a user in mind, not the laziness or eccentric whims of any random dev who thinks he knows better.

and yes, your very first post in this thread claimed that apple's "crippling" restrictions meant swap lag was impossible.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I was referring to Apps (when closed) being unable to do anything that would cause a performance hit.

Nobody is talking about a performance loss that would be associated with "swap lag".

19. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Ok you guys. no need to fight. If I wanted to close an app, how would I do that? I see no option to close any of them.

and I agree that empty RAM helps no one.

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'm not really sure how that's true.

The APIs give room for developers to do bad things (and some openly bend the rules).

As a user, there are things I want my iOS device to do (in the background) that simply aren't permitted by Apple.

21. nizmoz macrumors 65816

LOL!!!!! BS dude. Any computer that has a bunch of APPs in use will SLOW DOWN. You obviously need to go back and redo your CS degree. You are talking to someone who has 20 years in the IT field.

Again. the APPs being open takes up memory and cpu power. Even if you want to say they are idle, they are still using resources. The phone slows down. Windows slows down, OS-X slows down. It has been this way for years and it still happens.

You are the one that needs to back your stuff up and not us.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've provided pictures showing that Apps DON'T use CPU cycles when they are closed.

I've also linked to the Apple iOS Developer Guidelines that explain this.

I don't see anything to back up the generic BS that you've posted.

23. nizmoz macrumors 65816

24. Daveoc64, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's an unofficial source, it doesn't mean anything.

If I write the exact opposite and link to it then it doesn't mean it's true.

Them mentioning the iPhone 3G is an odd point. It doesn't officially support Multitasking - any hack to enable it through a Jailbreak wont work in the same way as Apple's system.

25. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Generic? I own the phone. I have seen it slow down when many apps are open. Apple TECH SUPPORT even says to close them down or restart your phone. So you are saying you are better than Apple?

Seriously dude, you have no clue what you are talking about.

It may not be using CPU Cycles, but I will tell you it is using memory, and the more memory taken, the slower the phone gets period or any device.