IOS beta 1 and 2 have both been terrible.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jacoblee23, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I stuck it out through every beta with ios 7, but I am getting ready to roll back to ios 7.1.1 for the second time after this second beta. I understand that every beta will have problems, but these definitely are not for every day use. I couldn't even unlock my phone on beta 1 half the time without it re-springing and crashing. Now with beta 2, I cannot receive picture messages in group messages, (it just says downloading after I see the preview) the answer button will not work when I receive a call, more random re-springs and crashes, my phone actually rang today and it wouldn't show up on my screen until ten rings later. I think I am just going to call it quits on trying out these betas, and just enjoy the final product when it is released and use IOS 8 the way that it was intended to be used. Has anyone else come to this conclusion?

2. Paddle1, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

Paddle1 macrumors 68030

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am fully aware. Which I mentioned in my post...

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Nope.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well they aren't for everyday use, so that seems as it should be. That said, seems like quite a few people are having bad experiences similar to what's in this thead, while plenty aren't having as many issues, at least not really any big ones.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, people that need their phone to work came to this conclusion before the first beta was released and when it was released they didn't install it.

7. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I am in a different boat. Beta 1 had some minor issues but it's beta. Beta 2 is better, battery life is greatly improved for me. Some of the glitches are also cleared up. IOS8 beta is far better than iOS7.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There are always those who say this for every beta series release for every new iOS

9. af21187 macrumors 6502

These posts are ridiculous. It's a beta intended for developers. It's not a final product. It is not intended for users like you.

Someone lock this thread.

10. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Nope ios 7 beta 1 was a gitchy trainwreck. ios 8 b 1 is superior.

11. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Get off your uppity high horse. There are plenty of people on this forum that tried it as well. All I was saying is that the experience hasn't been as good as ios7 betas.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like some others have had the opposite experience.

13. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like some others have had the same experience as me as well. It can be different for everyone.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, that's basically what I've been saying.

15. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did a clean install. So I was actually surprised that I had so many issues on my 5s. My buddy has a 5s and hasn't had many issues. It's puzzling.

16. gordgordgord macrumors newbie

I switch back to 7.1 after receiving "no service " on my iPhone 5 via beta 2.

17. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

You're not a developer, so it's not for you. If you were more than just a pathetic hack, you'd actually know that there's a warning (to developers, who betas are for) that they're not for daily use, and meant for testing purposes only. :rolleyes:

But no. Someone like you has no concept of that. You just want the latest and greatest right now, and in this case? Too damn bad. You don't get it, and it serves you right.

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Complain in a bug report straight to Apple.

19. Rooster411 macrumors member

I understand frustrations, but why do threads like this always turn into shouting matches??
    It is a discussion forum. I for one am happy to read posts on the experience users are having with the betas. I am sure all know that they're not designed for daily use. No reason to berate them when they express frustrations with the performance.
    I wish that when someone doesn't like another's post or thread, they would just politely state their point and move along.
    ✌️

20. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Exactly. When people show no understanding of what the word "beta" means, the frustration is understood. But the OP's first comment showed no signs of ignorance. Twice, he demonstrated his understanding:

So there is no need to jump down someone's throat for stating their experiences when they knew what they were getting themselves into. We're almost getting to the point where someone reporting that something does work will get shot down by someone else saying "Yeah, well it might not work in the next beta".

Show no mercy to the people that have no clue what they're doing, but don't be jerks to people just because they say that something doesn't work. Someone is bound to have been helped by that user whether you see it or not.

21. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Thank you. People get so defensive like you're attacking apple. Look at all the apple devices that I own. I'm a fan just like everyone else.

----------

22. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

You're welcome! The reason why people are the way they are about betas is due to the influx of new users we get every June that ask for download links, get told they can't ask for those here, whine about it, find the links elsewhere, install the betas on all their devices, come back here to blame Apple for "releasing" buggy software, and lash out at those of us that tell them how they can't expect things to work and they should go back to the previous version if they can't handle it.

But again, you're not one of those people. You're collateral damage, unfortunately. :p

23. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Yes. I came to that conclusion years ago when I learned what a Beta was.

I'm not trying to be snide, but it's an iteration that is a solid three months away from release. Why would anyone expect it to be stable?

24. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

It is a BETA version. What do you expect? It is not going to run flawlessly.

25. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have not, no.

I have run iOS 8 B1 and B2 on my daily driver. It's my one and only phone. I am willing to risk any issues that arise and come with betas to be able to have and use iOS 8. Just as I did with 7.

Beta 1 - Settings crashed frequently. A few minor apps were also broken and would not run. Battery drain was hi. There were glitches with the photo/camera app. Safari "locked up" every so often and the phone would "stop working" and reset on occasion. Screen would go black and the only way to get it back is to reboot.

Beta 2 - The keyboard is fouling up in Messages. It's not showing sometimes and it will push messages up off the screen so you can't read them. Battery drain is still persistent. Still to early for me to mention anything else yet. Have not used it enough.

Betas are just that - betas. Nothing wrong with using them and stating your issues. However, stating it's not fit for daily use is stating the obvious. Betas should be installed on non VITAL/WORKING devices. If you depend on your device for day to day use, DO NOT install a beta. Just common sense.