Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I seem to be seeing a lot of posts like this one:

It's in the release notes. Anyone who has valid access to the beta can and should have read them.

I don't believe I'm the only one that thinks that posts like that sound a bit condescending and unnecessary - so what really is wrong with non-Devs wanting to try out a new OS before it's released? Surely the more feedback can be collected the better?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
1) Non devs can't report bugs, so it's pointless
2) Non devs just want to play around and usually don't care about the bugs.

Andy Ftw

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Condescending? Possibly.. but either way it's true.

There's not really a huge issue with non-devs wanting to try the new iOS, but it was intended for devs only and so anyone who's not a dev and pirates iOS 5 is breaking the law so I guess that's what the issue is. It's apple's rules, they can choose what to do what they like.

Also it creates a ton of spam with people asking where to download the latest beta etc..

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008

Oh non-devs care. Just don't care enough/know how to report the bugs.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

MadGoat said:

Thats a bit of a generalisation, don't you think?

It's like saying all devs are geeks and elitist, which clearly not the case.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

I don't believe I'm the only one that thinks that posts like that sound a bit condescending and unnecessary - so what really is wrong with non-Devs wanting to try out a new OS before it's released? Surely the more feedback can be collected the better?

the devs are not testing the iOS for apple, they are testing that their apps that they developed will work on the new iOS

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

No one cares if non-devs use the betas as long as they are paying to be a developer and have legal access to the betas.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thats a bit of a generalisation, don't you think?

It's like saying all devs are geeks and elitist, which clearly not the case.

What? No. :confused:

I never made any generalizations like that. You choose to read it like that, it's your choice..

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
What? No. :confused:

I never made any generalizations like that. You choose to read it like that, it's your choice..

In any case, the point of this thread was that I'm getting the feeling that some devs in this forum are feeling superior to non-dev members, filled with prejudice (e.g. "why don't you go and get a dev account" - well how do you know he doesn't have one?!), condescension (e.g. "Why don't you go and read the installation instructions, noobie!") and elitism.

I really don't think there is a need for it in this forum.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Because you downloaded a buggy and somewhat broken OS. If feature X doesn't work, it's probably because it's broken.

If you're a dev, you know how to handle these issues (reading the release notes, reporting these issues.) If you're a non-dev, then you intentionally broke feature X by downloading a beta, and you're wasting my time.

I don't get people posting about these issues. There is no fix. It's a beta. It's broken. If you want something that's not broken, don't use betas. If you use a beta, stop complaining it's broken.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Maybe it has to do with the fact that some of us PAY for dev accounts and get sick of hearing about all the problems and whining from people who are not supposed to have access to it and then want to complain about something going wrong or bugs.

I don't feel superior but I do feel like I paid for something like I was supposed to and all these people who didn't pay now want help with an issue.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

It's the same thing as newbs that done "RTFM." iOS 5.0 beta 1 is for DEVELOPERS. We are the people who make the software that you use on your iDevice. We are all anal people who have to pour over Apple's APIs in order to write great software........

Honestly I find you guys who just join the dev program and download the beta, and don't even read the developer forums, or the developer documentation, lazy. It's super newb-ish to just come here and cry about things not working when you don't even understand the point of the beta, it's limitations, or anything like that.

So, I will not apologize if it's condescending to ask your to read *one* document before going on the internet complaining about the beta. The world will not coddle you.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
In any case, the point of this thread was that I'm getting the feeling that some devs in this forum are feeling superior to non-dev members, filled with prejudice (e.g. "why don't you go and get a dev account" - well how do you know he doesn't have one?!), condescension (e.g. "Why don't you go and read the installation instructions, noobie!") and elitism.

I really don't think there is a need for it in this forum.

I fail to see how instructing someone to read the, well, instructions is condescending. It may be a personality flaw of yours to take it that way, but in reality we are just saying what you need to do. If people spent half the time reading instructions as they do complaining about things that are already known the forum would be a whole lot more chilled out.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
There's nothing condescending about wanting people to play fair and educate themselves. Any developer that's actually a fan of Apple products would be lying by saying that access to pre-release software isn't a perk and an enjoyable part of the process. However, Apple clearly intended on access to betas being limited to paying developers. Developers pay for the right to access pre-releases. It's annoying when others are looking for a free ride because they're impatient.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

Another thing that some devs appear to be forgetting is that non-devs are probably their biggest group of customers... Maybe something to keep in mind is that you are representing an entire community of developers, and are not exactly making that community look good in front of your customers.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

Another thing that some devs appear to be forgetting is that non-devs are probably their biggest group of customers... Maybe something to keep in mind is that you are representing an entire community of developers, and are not exactly making that community look good in front of your customers.

Maybe 'non-devs' should keep in mind that installing pre-release software on their devices is illegal. I'd rather not make a single dollar than coddle potential customers breaking the law.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

That's absolutely ridiculous.

I find it absolutely absurd, and borderline sociopathic, that you would create a thread attacking developers merely because we suggest that people read the supplied documentation that goes along with the pre-release beta software they are installing on their personal device. You should be creating a thread saying "DEAR NEWBS, READ THE DOCS FIRST PLZ!"

It's pretty funny: Apple says "do not install this software on your personal device. It is for development and testing purposes only and should be installed on a development device. Also, here is a long list of things that do not work yet: xxxxx" People skip over that, install the first version of a pre-release huge OS update and the complain about things not working. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
OP don't bother. The devs who care enough to be up in arms about it will fight/argue their case and the devs who don't...well...won't.

Non-devs (enthusiasts) will keep get their hands on pre-release software. That's how its always been regardless of platform and that's how it will continue to be.

I don't see Apple batting an eyelash because they're making their money and the feedback will come in one way or another.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
OP don't bother. The devs who care enough to be up in arms about it will fight/argue their case and the devs who don't...well...won't.

Non-devs (enthusiasts) will keep get their hands on pre-release software. That's how its always been regardless of platform and that's how it will continue to be.

I don't see Apple batting an eyelash because they're making their money and the feedback will come in one way or another.

I'm a dev. I don't give a damn if non-devs use the software. What I do care about is why they can't be bothered to read the release notes and appreciate (ie, understand) that they are using beta release software that will not have all features enabled/working.

Question: Why do you not hold them responsible to at least read the most basic documentation regarding the software they are installing on their phone?

These non-devs who don't read the documentation are not providing useful "feedback" to Apple. It does not help Apple to be told "OMG WIFI SYNC DOESN'T WORK!!11!!" because Apple has already written in their release notes that WiFi Sync does not work in beta 1. I know this because I actually read the release notes that go along with the beta software I'm installing on my very expensive phone because I don't want to look like, well, an idiot, for making a thread about something that is a known issue.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

That doesn't really matter. Even if the non-devs who install beta software decided to stop supporting developers, there are millions more to take their place. One dev does not represent anyone else, and even if they did, what are people going to do? stop buying useful apps? Yeah, that'll show them :rolleyes:

The point is that as much as people may want to test beta iOS releases, they aren't supposed to do it without buying the developer kit, and if they did buy it, they should read instructions that come with it. If you install beta's without knowing what you are doing, it really is your own fault when something goes wrong that you can't fix.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

On the other hand, you're running my software on a developer system, which doesn't particularly endear me to you either. Especially if you start asking me about things that are broken under iOS 5.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm a non-developer and I paid Apple $99 dollars to get my hands on the iOS5 beta.

Technically you are a developer. Just don't come crying to me when something doesn't work or you cannot use the phone in an emergency situation.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

I could care less if the general public uses a beta OS. I think the main problem is people getting annoyed at people using it and then complaining or asking a million questions. Apple is providing it for devs to test their apps against it, not for people to play with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.