iOS: Boring?

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
From a designer's perspective, it's clearly the best designed GUI. Things just naturally become stale if you constantly look at them. Same reason that great songs lose the spark and flare after many listens. All mobile OSes share this same fate, it's fine.
I agree... we've all seen the home screen thousands of times and thus feels boring and bland. This is a how the Echo Boomer generation is... we want something new just for the sake of being new.

I've thought of switching to Android just to try something different, but never actually pull the trigger because every time I test drive an Android I get discouraged by the poorly designed UI.

The Android is a bad mix between iOS and a desktop computer OS (doesn't makes sense). IMO of course ;)

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The UI works and they shouldn't change it for the sake of change. It's a consistent UI that could possibly use some tweaks with stuff like more widgets.

Look at OSX, it hasn't changed in the past 10 years expect for some UI updates. But the core has been the same since.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Both the look and feel of iOS could use some true innovation. The rampant skeuomorphism and lack of UI consistency throughout iOS are truly disturbing. Jony Ive creates such beautiful, minimalistic hardware that is ruined by a UI that looks like it was designed by a 3rd grader. There is nothing wrong with iOS keeping its simple, easy-to-use functionality, but it desperately needs some work with aesthetics.

Unfortunately, Apple is content with marginal changes to their stale OS and will fight competition with litigation rather than true innovation.

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
never seen a store or anything which supports NFC. then again, most of europe doesnt even use credit cards lol
I think by "most of Europe", you really mean "most of Germany". You'll find Credit Cards are pretty widespread in, say, the UK and France. And of course NFC works with debit cards too!

NFC terminals have only been around for a year or so here (UK) but they're starting to roll out fairly fast. My local supermarket installed them recently. Quite convenient as the transaction goes through much quicker than with chip & pin, and for transactions under £15 you don't have to enter a PIN... just tap and you're done in less than a second.

i wish apple would add something besides the "app drawer", a simple and quick way to look at things u use all the time and updates by itself without having to find and click on the app first.
Yeah, it would be good to have a widget system that apps can access. Even if it was just adding live content to the notification center. I think Apple will do something like this eventually.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I just came across this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39w0ha1TD6c&list=UUR0AnNR7sViH3TWMJl5jyxw&index=4&feature=plcp

The techie talks about how iOS has just become boring and software wise Apple needs to do some major changes.
What do you guys think about his claims? What did you wish iOS had that it doesn't (and maybe Android has)?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with him.
Boring? Its an OS, by definition utilitarian. When was the last time someone thought Windows start menu was exciting/boring.

Go play Infinity Blade, Gears of War, etc. if you want non boring.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
iOS is dated, very dated. Mail sucks; it's old looking, not convienant to navigate with mutiple accts, and IMO needs a re-write.

Pages and pages of apps is not going to be simple for long.
Oh, so you're saying Android doesn't have pages of apps?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Boring? Its an OS, by definition utilitarian. When was the last time someone thought Windows start menu was exciting/boring.

Go play Infinity Blade, Gears of War, etc. if you want non boring.
True, but ios as utilitarian as you say, wouldn't hurt to be more interesting.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
True, but ios as utilitarian as you say, wouldn't hurt to be more interesting.
But it would definitely hurt if Apple missed the mark while trying to be more interesting.

For every person who wants a new UI, there will be four who don't want it to change and three who will complain about the changes. Why would Apple fix a good thing?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
But it would definitely hurt if Apple missed the mark while trying to be more interesting.

For every person who wants a new UI, there will be four who don't want it to change and three who will complain about the changes. Why would Apple fix a good thing?
Apple is or was very good at avoiding flops. Sure they had countable failures but not countless.

As for the whole no change thing, it's funny, SJ was very against having everything the same, they're always pushing people to upgrade, and consumers tend to update their hardware and software more than Google and Microsoft products (very biased claim here) wee-ooo weee-ooo, turn on the sirens.

So if the pushy Apple still exists they will change UI in iOS eventually. Apple tends to take their time, with matching competitors features and goodies.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'm not sure what they would really change about it. There isn't really a better way to present your applications to you - which as somebody else noted is what the phone is for. The core OS doesn't entertain us, what we do on it does.

That said...I'd like some updates...actual weather on the icon, prettier lockscreen maybe, I don't really know what else.

Smart phones in general are at a stale point right now until the next big thing comes out. It's marginal upgrades in both hardware and software for a while.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
I wish apple would completely redesign iOS.

Certain features seem tacked on and not well thought out. Am I the only who brings down the notification bar mistakingly when trying to fast forward a song or a video (because the bar at the top is so close to the top, it's really easy to do that?)?

Am I the only that has almost broken the home button, because accessing the multitasking takes two presses of the home button and is really un-intuitive?

I find it weird that apple refuses to tweak its UI. Are they afraid to break something that (mostly) works for now? They got a ton of things right the first time around, but a lot of it is starting to seem outdated and tacked on.

EDIT: I must say, after seeing that youtube video in the first post, I completely agree.

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Am I the only who brings down the notification bar mistakingly when trying to fast forward a song or a video (because the bar at the top is so close to the top, it's really easy to do that?)?
How do you manage that?? Never heard of anyone having this issue.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
How do you manage that?? Never heard of anyone having this issue.
Really? I'll give the most obvious example:

You're watching a youtube video (so the phone is on the side). It has a kind of a boring start, so you decide to skip the first two minutes. I usually go for the bar at the top, then slide my finger down, so I can scrub through the video with more precision. Half the time I will bring down the notification center instead. And I'm not even missing the progress bar. The little round indicator lights-up, to indicate that I have touched it properly, and then when I move my finger down I get the notification center.

EDIT: Ok I'm not the only one it seems : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1282604 was starting to worry a bit.

EDIT2: I must say, I am talking about the iPhone, I never had the problem when using an iPad.

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

You're watching a youtube video (so the phone is on the side). It has a kind of a boring start, so you decide to skip the first two minutes. I usually go for the bar at the top, then slide my finger down, so I can scrub through the video with more precision. Half the time I will bring down the notification center instead. And I'm not even missing the progress bar. The little round indicator lights-up, to indicate that I have touched it properly, and then when I move my finger down I get the notification center.

EDIT: Ok I'm not the only one it seems : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1282604 was starting to worry a bit.

EDIT2: I must say, I am talking about the iPhone, I never had the problem when using an iPad.
Sounds like you're just missing the progress bar..

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Sounds like you're just missing the progress bar..
But I'm not, I'm even moving the progress bar a bit before the notification center "takes over".

It's very clear to me that there is a range that you are in the range of the notification center pull-down and you can also interact with the progress bar. The reason I'm getting this so often is because I always move my finger down to go for finer scrubbing first, which might be a thing that not that many people do.

EDIT: So ok, I'm really not the only one:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1259158
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3379507?start=0&tstart=0
http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/784051-ios-5-video-scrubbing-issue.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1298331

Last edited:

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
But I'm not, I'm even moving the progress bar a bit before the notification center "takes over".

It's very clear to me that there is a range that you are in the range of the notification center pull-down and you can also interact with the progress bar. The reason I'm getting this so often is because I always move my finger down to go for finer scrubbing first, which might be a thing that not that many people do.

EDIT: So ok, I'm really not the only one:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1259158
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3379507?start=0&tstart=0
http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/784051-ios-5-video-scrubbing-issue.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1298331
I have this issue too, I hate hate hate it.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012

Only time I've ever had an issue like that is if I am playing a game that requires me sliding my finger a lot from the top. Every now and again the Notification center bar comes down. Never once had that issue with messing with the video progress bar. Honestly after just trying it I'm still not seeing how that's possible. Only time I can get it to do it is if I miss the progress bar or I am actually trying to get Notification center down.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I am not too worried about the look of an operating system as long as I can do what I need to do. I would prefer not to hit the home button to go back, I liked how WebOS allowed for swiping up.

Not sure how much some things can change, basic and too the point, making it easier to use, more features is a must of course.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
If iOS is boring then I don't know what android is. It's the same clunky, un-organised bloated and menus I don't know what to say about them. Icons or ugly as well
Only about 17% of android users upgraded to ICS and that OS was released a year ago now we have another Micky name jelly bean where only some users will get upgrade. I will rather have a boring OS than have a device I bought where I'm still waiting for upgrade to a OS for my expensive android phone.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
An OS is not there to entertain you.
Are you serious? Says who? iOS was entertaining when introduced, with its animations, scrolling, graphics, and was meant to be. That statement is ridiculous, we are talking about entertainment devices.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I'm not sure how much Apple could change iOS without alienating the majority of their millions of users. You have to consider that iOS is used by a very wide spectrum of people, from school kids to Nobel laureates.

Microsoft is trying to do just that with Windows 8 and Metro, and only time will tell how it's going to turn out.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
If iOS is boring then I don't know what android is. It's the same clunky, un-organised bloated and menus I don't know what to say about them. Icons or ugly as well
Only about 17% of android users upgraded to ICS and that OS was released a year ago now we have another Micky name jelly bean where only some users will get upgrade. I will rather have a boring OS than have a device I bought where I'm still waiting for upgrade to a OS for my expensive android phone.
As others have said, this is an iOS discussion and not a monkey **** fight of Apple vs. Android. There are plenty of other threads to complain or gloat since if you have one device you must hate all others.

My take on this question, I've dealt with the iOS platform before it even gained that moniker when I bought the original iPhone and followed the upgrade path to the 3Gs. I also have a current generation iPod Touch and iPad 2.

I will admit that the OS itself to me looks a little long in the tooth. Through the various releases over the years, nothing really visual was changed aside from being able to see your wallpaper behind your icons on the 3Gs and jailbroken earlier hardware. The other major leap was the addition of folders.

Still, the grey look & feel do feel a bit dated IMO. That being said, I do own a Android phone running ICS and a BlackBerry Bold 9700.

One neat feature of the BlackBerry OS I liked was themes. You could change every aspect of the UI and even add or change controls if you dig deep enough with the theme itself. If anyone here used the classic Mac OS and remembers Kaleidoscope, it was very similar and could give your Mac desktop a complete overhaul at the click of the mouse.

There are other theme utilities out there for the iPhone to theme the OS elements, only if you have jailbroken your device.

From an Android standpoint, the best overall look and feel is on the HTC Sense devices from the older Sensation to current models. The animated weather effects along with the wallpapers are neat but also battery hogs. So I use a still photo. Not to say it can't be done on an iOS device from the iPad to the iPhone etc. I doubt Apple would go that route.

One thing I thought that looked nice was to move from the light greys to perhaps a glossy looking black appearance (along with the keyboard as a choice). It would give a fresh look but for a white model, it may look weird. Perhaps why Apple has stuck with the neutral greys and other controls, buttons etc.

Hopefully down the road, Apple may change things up a bit but the neutral look also does help battery life in a technical sense. On a standard LCD panel, a full black image draws more current than displaying white (allowing the backlight to show through). On most Samsung Android handsets that use a AMOLED display, the opposite is true where showing a full white image draws more current than black as those showing black are essentially "off" and it's the most common reason Samsung Galaxy S phones use darker overall themes compared to other Android phones. OLED displays are more efficient on battery life but it's still a young technology compared to a LCD.

Nerd technobabble aside, it would be nice to have a native theme system for the iOS. Even if it only allows you to change the system font or common colors displayed in Safari or Mail.app, even iTunes I imagine would be welcome features.

PS.

All this said above may get me called a "fandroid" (clever... :rolleyes: ) or a hater as of recent days due to she madness going on.

I'm a fanboy of technology, period. I like to see things evolve instead of users taking sides and defending their choice to a bloody end. Sure, I carry a "forbidden" Samsung device. Is that worth hating me over it despite the fact that most know little or nothing about me.

Put down the torches and pitchforks people and perhaps these boards can be a great place to talk tech or even a few Q and A's.

:apple: