Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kévin Eugène, a web developer and UI/UX designer, this week shared a new iOS concept that he calls "iOS Mogi," with the aim of improving the look and functionality of Apple's AI assistant Siri (via Reddit). As Eugène explains in his Medium post on iOS Mogi, his goal was "not to create new commands" or completely re-build Siri, but to display the voice assistant "in a different way" that is "more useful to the user."

This led to iOS Mogi's main concept: Siri as a drop-down notification banner that Eugène describes as "parallel help." The non-intrusive banner doesn't take up the whole screen as Siri does today, allowing the assistant to perform contextually aware tasks in the background while the user does something else. As with all concepts, it's important to remember that Eugène's designs in no way indicate what we'll see with Siri in a future version of iOS.

iOS-mogi-1.jpg
Images and GIFs via Kévin Eugène on Medium

In Eugène's main example, he asks Siri to "Show me pictures of Japan" while texting a friend in Messages, and then he swipes down on the notification, scrolls until he finds the ones he wants to send and taps to select them all. Thanks to the contextual awareness of Siri in iOS Mogi, this drop-down notification also has a blue Messages "send" button, which Eugène taps to send all the photos directly to his contact.

iOS Mogi also includes a multitasking feature where it's possible to ask Siri to open pages from an app while performing tasks in another app. Eugène gives the example of writing an email and asking Siri to open a conversation from Messages in a drop-down notification, scrolling to find a picture you need, and then dragging and dropping that image directly into the email.

1_hFgp5tZNfoilTSIeyIF-PA.gif

Eugène's version of Siri also allows for "Siri actions" that translate touch gestures into voice commands, like scrolling in Apple Music or editing an email's content in Mail. Without needing to physically interact with an iPhone, Eugène explains that this could be particularly useful for users with a disability, but believes such actions would be of benefit for all iOS users.

The last of Eugène's Siri concepts in iOS Mogi involves saving elements from anywhere in the OS to use in another app, including an improved copy/paste feature. In the concept, users can copy as normal and then Siri saves all items and text copied, which can be viewed by saying "Show me all my saved elements." From here, each element can be edited, copied again to paste in another app, or dragged and dropped into the open app.

ios-mogi-2.jpg

The iOS Mogi concept is full of other ideas for Apple's mobile operating system, including updates to Apple Maps, "live notifications," multitasking, ARKit features, and more. Head over to Eugène's Medium post to see the full concept.

Prior to the unveiling of iOS 12 at WWDC in June, we saw a few concepts for future versions of iOS from other graphic designers, including one from Michael Calcada that focused on a "Siri Sight" augmented reality feature for navigating around cities. Another one shared by Álvaro Pabesio focused entirely on Apple Music -- which isn't a priority for Apple's iOS 12 update -- and beefed up the music streaming app with music history stats, a new UI, new profile pages, group playlists, and more.

Article Link: iOS Concept Reimagines Siri With Non-Intrusive UI, Contextual Awareness, and More

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
Apple should definitely do something like this. Although they won't until they've done it their way. The Jony Ive way. Siri is too intrusive and I find myself not using it much. Siri on the Mac is how Siri should be on iOS.

Reactions: Feyl

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple should definitely do something like this. Although they won't until they've done it their way. The Jony Ive way. Siri is too intrusive and I find myself not using it much. Siri on the Mac is how Siri should be on iOS.
I doubt Jony Ive has much to do with iOS UI anymore.

Reactions: Feyl

jst_testing

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Definitely like it! A major and useful overhaul of Siri - and doing it the Apple way would most likely mean with increased privacy.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
“In the background” he says. Yeah in the background devouring battery life like a parasite.

Why is it all these ambitious developers so easily ignore the battery? (I guess iphone users don’t care since they switch phones so easily? But I like my devices tyvm, and I don’t care to replace them and pay if there’s no need, just because the shiny new iphone is 10% faster or has a new gimmick.)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Don't hold your breath. Apple has made the phone call interface as an intrusive full screen despite the existence of callbar.
Not sure I understand this. Once you've begun the call you are free to hit the home button and do whatever else you want to on the phone. I think it makes sense that a device that's called a "phone" should devote a full screen to a core function like that. And again, the phone call continues to happen while you are in any other screen on the device.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Not sure I understand this. Once you've begun the call you are free to hit the home button and do whatever else you want to on the phone. I think it makes sense that a device that's called a "phone" should devote a full screen to a core function like that. And again, the phone call continues to happen while you are in any other screen on the device.

A notification banner with a accept decline button as an option would be sufficient. The amount of time I am in the middle of something and the huge phone UI interrupts everything just so i can decline it is annoying

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
That’s a beautiful Siri concept. Looks like the macOS version. Definitely feeling it. Very cool to have notification like banners.

stoopkidblues

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2014
A notification banner with a accept decline button as an option would be sufficient. The amount of time I am in the middle of something and the huge phone UI interrupts everything just so i can decline it is annoying

There used to be a jailbreak tweak that did just that (banner phone calls) and it made so much sense. Full screen if phone is locked, banner if unlocked/using phone. It’s so simple. Hell I’ll even take the full screen with an option to minimize it at this point.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This is besides the point.

The full screen phone call dialog is a throwback from simplistic and feature phones. Only when dialing manually is the full screen really required - because being able to precisely press the numbers and two symbols on the dial pad are necessary. Once the call is engaged or accepted, that’s when contextual call buttons are needed yet a swipe form the screen could be done. Unfortunately his would leave those that are required every moment of the day to access them an option in accessibility or during configuration.

Apple has already given us in part what we want when the phone app is minimized so why not go all the way?

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

normally i would leave this after pointing out the elephant you either missed or are deliberately ignoring just to defend apple. this is not just for calls you begin, but for incoming calls where it really means the most.

im going to quote something i posted over on reddit:

"one day it became a safety thing for me. i was navigating with gps through an area i didnt know well, and then when i was trying to figure out which road lead to the highway (one of those confusing could be either of two turns that are right next to each other) i get a phone call.

now im desperately trying to end the call just to see where im going. because !&^$ing with your phone when driving is obviously a good idea."

it doesn't HAVE to be a full screen, it doesn't HAVE to interrupt whatever you're already doing, but it still does. yet one lonely dev can make it work as a notification bar (for years now) that is accessible from anywhere in the OS, not just from the phone app itself.

you say "i think it makes sense that a device that's called a "phone" should devote a full screen to a core function," so then why should we not be able to access a core function from anywhere at any time? it also happens to be a device called a "*smart*phone" meaning that phone function could also be more advanced than its current form.

but sure, lets limit it to the horrendous implementation we have now.

or instead we can cheer on @Limneos for delivering CallBarX

Reactions: Defthand

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The best part of these mockups is that people act like Apple should do them immediately, as if the hardest part was drawing it and not actually making it work within smartphone constraints.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The best part of these mockups is that people act like Apple should do them immediately, as if the hardest part was drawing it and not actually making it work within smartphone constraints.

Lol what constraints does iOS or the screen size, resolution, or processing chipset have to limit this from happening ?? Moreover the loads of iOS programmers within Apple to implement such a change?

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Lol what constraints does iOS or the screen size, resolution, or processing chipset have to limit this from happening ?? Moreover the loads of iOS programmers within Apple to implement such a change?

Funny. It takes jailbreak devs a week at most usually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.