iOS Custom Keyboard Megathread

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Shawzborne, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. dahauss macrumors regular

I'm still lining SwiftKey better. I switch between SwiftKey and nintype.

2. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

The lack of the dictaction function via siri makes 3rd party keyboards completely useless. :(

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

...to those that use that function often.

4. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

like me :rolleyes:

5. dahauss macrumors regular

Just so everyone knows.... In case you don't already.... It is APPLE not allowing the speech to text button. If apple would allow 3rd party keyboards to have that, I am sure they would. I bet there is a hack for a jailbroken phone.....

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

indeed :rolleyes:

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

At least allow the global icon that lets you switch keyboards. As it is, I find it ridiculous that I have to cycle through all my keyboards just to get back to the first one. :(

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Does it not let you do a long press?

9. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Nope, long-press does nothing in 3rd party keyboards.

I currently have 4 keyboards (stock, emoji, clips, text expander). Say I am in emoji and accidentally hit the globe icon rather than long-press on it to go back to the stock keyboard. I enter the clips keyboard. I have to press the globe icon to go into text expander, then press again to go back.

So if you have more keyboards, it's that much more cumbersome (I had 7-8 at one time before finally settling on my current 4). :p

10. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I don't think anyone is disputing it's the 3rd party developers fault. Just annoying that we don't have the dictation ability.

11. arobert3434, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

arobert3434 macrumors member

And on the opposite side of the spectrum :) , if you've got an iPad check out PadKeys. Designed for tablet first, not a phone keyboard scaled up.

Disclaimer: I'm the author.

12. Lisa Quach macrumors newbie

Lisa Quach

Thease custom keyboards are fantastic and gives appropriate layout and features based on keyboard type. They also provides autocorrection and suggestion.

13. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I am honestly thinking about getting SwiftKey, now that they have some themes on their Keyboard.

14. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Still bouncing back and forth between the stock keyboard and swiftkey. 8.3 seems to have made swiftkey worse for me. It never is the default keyboard when I launch apps like messages, and sometimes doesn't appear at all.

That said, I find swiftkey quite handy on my iPad mini because it lets me type quickly with one hand.

Tried Fleksy again, again don't see the point of it.

15. dadiduekappa macrumors regular

dadiduekappa

Swiftly new up

16. dadiduekappa, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

dadiduekappa macrumors regular

dadiduekappa

Swiftkey new update bring improvements and new emoji with different skin tone but i really don't understand how to change the tone... Anyone figured it out?

UPDATE tried with wrong emoji :D It works exactly like Apple keyboard. Sorry.

UPDATE 2 Better than ever. No crashes at all in one day long. iOS8.4 b3

17. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

I just finished beta testing SwiftKey for a couple weeks. It now includes the diverse emoji and the Vulcan salute. Also better stability. SwiftKey is now my default keyboard. I find it smarter than the stock keyboard.

18. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

I'm going to give SwiftKey another try. I just wish there was an emoji search function on these keyboards. I can never find the one I'm looking for if it's not in favorites. haha.

19. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

Don't expect the emoji to work on the forum. They don't work on most forum sites because they're written in a different code. That goes for all keyboards, including the stock and shortcuts as well. So you'll need to try the emoji in messages, email, Facebook, and etc.

20. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

As a long time member of this forum, I am aware. :)

21. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

I think it surprised me that some do show them and some don't. I didn't mean to insinuate anything. Just yaking.

22. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

How?? My iOS 8.4 B4 is quite unstable, crashing a lot!

23. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

24. pacorob, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I'm looking forward to the release of Next Keyboard as discussed in this separate thread. I just noticed it's finally available in the App Store but still in beta for a select list of people. You can download the app for free but you can't use it yet unfortunately. I hope they will add support for other languages from the start (e.g. Dutch). I also hope you can use it without full access like Swype and Path Input have (which i now use on iPhone 5s and iPad mini2). I don't like the '.' key next to the spacebar in Swype.

I just bought ai.type keyboard Plus (2,99 dollar) which should be able (according to this video at 0.20min) to use 'gesture typing/swiping' to type (the free version was already available for a while but didn't have that feature). I haven't been able to test the swiping. I'm waiting on a response from them how i can turn it on. It doesn't work with various standard keyboards and with both English and Dutch and i have full access setting turned on.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.