Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
This does not create real fragmentation. Fragmentation is when different devices are running on different firmware without a way to upgrade. It's also when a lot of devices are using different chipsets (different type), resolutions, aspect ratios, different phone buttons (physical vs onscreen). Fragmentation affects developers more than say an actual user. Fragmentation makes it harder for a developer to optimize their applications for all devices. When you have 4 different iOS devices to optimize for, it's a walk in the park; but with android there are at least 20-30 worthy new devices each other to optimize for.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
This does not create real fragmentation. Fragmentation is when different devices are running on different firmware without a way to upgrade. It's also when a lot of devices are using different chipsets (different type), resolutions, aspect ratios, different phone buttons (physical vs onscreen). Fragmentation affects developers more than say an actual user. Fragmentation makes it harder for a developer to optimize their applications for all devices. When you have 4 different iOS devices to optimize for, it's a walk in the park; but with android there are at least 20-30 worthy new devices each other to optimize for.

If you say it often enough, you will believe it...

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Install nba jam or monopoly from the playstore.

No plans to install either but what are the issues? A quick google search didn't bring anything up with either of those and the S4.

----------

The reason is irrelevant. Feature fragmentation has been with iOS since the second version of iOS came out in 2008. It's happened every year since then. That's half-a-decade of it. Who is claiming that it's any different now than it was before?

The alternative to feature fragmentation is to do what Android does, and that creates OS fragmentation. Are you really trying to make the point that to the average user, feature fragmentation has anywhere near the impact that OS fragmentation does?

I don't understand. Did you mean to say the reason is relevant? Feature fragmentation can easily impact the average user far worse than than OS fragmentation. "Hey Bob, let me airdrop this photo to you on your brand new 4S you bought yesterday. Oh, wait....."

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't understand. Did you mean to say the reason is relevant? Feature fragmentation can easily impact the average user far worse than than OS fragmentation. "Hey Bob, let me airdrop this photo to you on your brand new 4S you bought yesterday. Oh, wait....."
Feature fragmentation (Apple's way) means that Bob's new 4s gets 100% of the updated iOS 7 base apps, 78% of the major new features of iOS 7, and the ability to run third-party apps designed for iOS 7.

OS fragmentation (Android's way) would mean that Bob's new 4s wouldn't get an upgrade to iOS 7. Bob's new iPhone 4s would be stuck, forever, on iOS 6.

To your point, yes -- under Apple's method -- Bob won't get AirDrop. Oh, wait indeed!

Using Google's method, not only would Bob not get AirDrop, he'd also not get Control Center, Filters (in Photos), the new camera app, the new multitasking, the new Notification Center, iTunes Radio, or the updated base apps.

If you're Bob, please tell me why he'd like Google's method better than Apple's method? :confused:

Plus (with Google's way), Bob would be stuck with iOS 6 versions of all of his third-party apps. Bob won't be alone in this situation, which now creates a situation where 90%+ of all iOS devices aren't running the latest OS version. Uh oh, significant OS fragmentation. So now developers have to not only develop and support iOS 7 versions of their apps, now there's a much larger iOS 6 audience still out there, so developers have to spend more time supporting and maintaining that version too.

There may be a better demonstration of feature fragmentation being worse than OS fragmentation. But saying "Uh oh, Bob's new iPhone 4s can't do AirDrop" doesn't seem to be a good example, when the alternative is "Bob's new iPhone 4s can't do ANY FEATURE of iOS 7". :eek: :confused:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Feature fragmentation (Apple's way) means that Bob's new 4s gets 100% of the updated iOS 7 base apps, 78% of the major new features of iOS 7, and the ability to run third-party apps designed for iOS 7.

OS fragmentation (Android's way) would mean that Bob's new 4s wouldn't get an upgrade to iOS 7. Bob's new iPhone 4s would be stuck, forever, on iOS 6.

To your point, yes -- under Apple's method -- Bob won't get AirDrop. Oh, wait indeed!

Using Google's method, not only would Bob not get AirDrop, he'd also not get Control Center, Filters (in Photos), the new camera app, the new multitasking, the new Notification Center, iTunes Radio, or the updated base apps.

If you're Bob, please tell me why he'd like Google's method better than Apple's method? :confused:

Plus (with Google's way), Bob would be stuck with iOS 6 versions of all of his third-party apps. Bob won't be alone in this situation, which now creates a situation where 90%+ of all iOS devices aren't running the latest OS version. Uh oh, significant OS fragmentation. So now developers have to not only develop and support iOS 7 versions of their apps, now there's a much larger iOS 6 audience still out there, so developers have to spend more time supporting and maintaining that version too.

There may be a better demonstration of feature fragmentation being worse than OS fragmentation. But saying "Uh oh, Bob's new iPhone 4s can't do AirDrop" doesn't seem to be a good example, when the alternative is "Bob's new iPhone 4s can't do ANY FEATURE of iOS 7". :eek: :confused:

And lets not forget OS speed, stability and security fixes.

Security and vulnerability issues is a bigger concern with android than iOS. The further you are from 4.3, the worse off you are.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If iOS so-called fragmentation is bad, then android must be a complete state of apocalypse.

iphoneandroidfragmentationchart.jpg

How I personally plan on dealing with android fragmentation. Sell my GS4 and probably get a GS5 next year. Much easier than waiting on bootleg roms of dubious origins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
No plans to install either but what are the issues? A quick google search didn't bring anything up with either of those and the S4.

Nothing specific to the S4, but neither of those apps are "compatible" with the new handsets (like my HTC One or LG OG Pro), and its this type of fragmentation that really bothers me. That I can purchase an app, and then lose the ability to use that app when I upgrade my phone.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Indeed, leaving out AirDrop support is highly reminiscent of the iPhone 4 Siri debacle.

However for the Siri debacle there was a precedent. It was reportedly stated and reviewed that Siri for the iPhone 4 did work. However, the amount of misinterpretations made by Siri were quite high due to the lack of a "noise-cancelling" microphone, which the 4S has.

Now, I'm not saying that is the sole and only reason. But it is a very good one. If Siri would not be able to understand you properly on an acceptable level for everyday use, then I see no reason why to have Siri. That is my personal view on that.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Camera filters (in camera) use the GPU to do live rendering. I think the iPad 2 is not capable of doing it

The GPU on the iPad 2 and 4S are the same. The reason iPads don't have filters is probably because taking picture with a 9.7 inch tablet isn't exactly a selling point.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
The gpu on the iPad 2 and 4S are the same. The reason iPads don't have filters is probably because taking picture with a 9.7 inch tablet isn't exactly a selling point.

But why not being able if someone wants to?
That's one point I dislike with Apple, I don't want them to make decisions for me.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
But why not being able if someone wants to?
That's one point I dislike with Apple, I don't want them to make decisions for me.

¯\(°_O)/¯

There are still 3 betas left (supposedly) so wait and see. Originally, the 4S wasn't suppose to get filters but beta 4 saw the introduction of filter for the 4S.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Assault has me ignored anyway, and I'm trying to turn over a new leaf but......

This has got to be one of the WORST and most TROLLING posts on MR. Why is this posted in the Alternative section? It's purely about iOS?

I'd hoped the mods would take care of this kind of drivel. It was clearly posted by someone who has no interest in iOS other than to belittle and mock it and anyone who prefers it.

If you wanted to have a discussion about iOS fragmentation, it should be done in the iOS forum by people who actually want to dicuss the pros/cons and issues.

The OP is not such a person, and having this discussion in this sub-forum only incites more nonsensical bickering.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Well, looks like Apple is fragmenting even further with iOS7, not because it has to happen, but because they want it to. Forces people to keep buying a new iPhone or iPad to get the latest features. Remember Siri? Apple claimed the 4 couldn't handle it, but that was pure crap.

Someone doesn't know the meaning of the word "fragmentation".

And stop using the Siri argument if you don't want people to point out that Google Now is only available to Android 4.1 and up.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Someone doesn't know the meaning of the word "fragmentation".

And stop using the Siri argument if you don't want people to point out that Google Now is only available to Android 4.1 and up.

Are you comparing limiting an app to specific hardware to an app needing some API that is not provided by older OS versions? Really?

iHailCaesar

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2013
I much rather lose features as my phone becomes older, as opposed to Android where you buy it and that's it! Nothing, nil, nada!

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Are you comparing limiting an app to specific hardware to an app needing some API that is not provided by older OS versions? Really?

Why not, it's how the Siri-bashers do it.

Also don't want to alarm you but you do realize Google makes the OS and the Google Now, right?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why are people arguing here? The common user doesn't care about fragmentation. For everyone else that does, all anyone has to say regarding Android fragmentation is:

Google Play Edition. Nexus line.

The end.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Because they get angry if they read something positive about Android, but can't see behind their iFence so they have no clue what's going on outside the iGarden.

What a sweeping generalization. I think both sides have their share of those who post from ignorance of the other platforms and just are so in need of validation that they use hyperbole or result to name calling.

It's a smartphone OS, not the cure for cancer.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Because they get angry if they read something positive about Android, but can't see behind their iFence so they have no clue what's going on outside the iGarden.

You might want to go visit Google+ before you throw out any blanket statements like that....

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I still use an iPhone 4 and, honestly, the only thing I'm starting to miss is speed. But I'm certain I wouldn't use stuff like Siri anyway, and for the occasions where I like to take a panorama shot, there exist apps (for instance Photosynth which is even free). AirDrop isn't really interesting to me, either. I already can use my iPhone as a USB storage device via iTunes, and I'm yet to have positive experience with sharing files via wifi because most of the times that's a much slower process than sharing something via a cable.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Oh yeah.......

Maybe I need to remind some people that Android 4.0 (released almost two years ago) still has more features than the newly announced iOS 7?

Airdrop? 4.0 introduced Android Beam, but it already had Bluetooth and Wi-Fi transfers available since way before, so.........

Control Center? 4.0 had a widget with power toggles: Wi-Fi, BT, GPS, etc. So...

Better improved multitasking in iOS 7? Android had that since.... Gingerbread or Froyo? So...

No app limit in folders in iOS 7? Oh my I can't even remember when this was introduced in Android... Gingerbread or Froyo again?

So in the end people stuck with Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich are still on top of the 2013 iOS 7.

So yeah... fragmentation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.