iOS in the Car - Software update or require a new car?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by noty, Sep 4, 2013.

1. noty macrumors member

noty

I'm looking to buy a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic which comes with the Siri Eyes Free feature. Does anyone know if I will get iOS in the Car via a software update when it is available next year or will it require a new car? I can't find any information on exactly how this will work.

2. bearda macrumors 6502

Nobody knows. I've been looking for the same info since my wife has a 2013 Sonic with the MyLink system. We're hopeful since the iOS in Car mockups were done with a MyLink image, but Chevy hasn't been great on software updates so far.

3. Ram27 macrumors member

Stuff like this is why I love the Apple ecosystem.

Everything generally works with everything else, and if not, you can pretty concisely see if there's an alternative method.

4. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

My wife recently test drove a few cars at the Chevy dealership and asked about iOS in the car. The salesperson told her that it was only coming to the Spark but who knows if that's true or if he even understood what she was talking about.

5. noty thread starter macrumors member

noty

Well, hopefully we'll get more info out of the iPhone event next week. I'm really hoping the 2014 or 2013 models can be upgraded. I don't have the luxury of waiting until late next year as my current car is barely running.

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I've seen it advertized on other 2014 Chevy models. Who knows how it will work. Will the 2014's have the right level software (or bluetooth support) only GM and Apple probably know. I would suspect it might be available after a certain production date and may be enabled with a software update - don't know if user or needs dealer.

One of the many things we hopefully will know more about soon.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Chevy giving you a software update for new features? ha!

Not entirely impossible. But it would be a industry new thing for them to do such rather than try to sell you on a 2015 model.

8. Fenderf4i macrumors member

Kenwood put Siri eyes free in their decks, so I'm hoping they will put iOS in the car on them as well. That's way cheaper than buying a new car for it.

9. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

iOS in the car is not a software upgrade. It's an entire headend unit for your car.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Siri Eyes free was a feature introduced in iOS 6. Some Car makers agreed to include a button on the steering wheel of their cars that would trigger Siri so you wouldn't have to reach for the phone and press/hold the home button to trigger her yourself. Technically, this should be working already now in iOS 6

I'd suggest going to a Chevy Dealership, pairing your iPhone and trying the button to see if it calls up Siri.

the new feature in iOS 7 with Siri was supposed to "airplay" your phone's display to the car's display. This is a different integration.

11. Jakimo macrumors 6502

I smiled when I saw the subject. New iPhone or iOS? Time to buy a new car to match! :)

12. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Although there was mention of the feature being built into new cars, I can't see how it couldn't be achieved with a software update. All it needs to do is allow iOS to take over the car's screen, surely?

13. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

I'd love to see a third-party Double-DIN (likely "Apple approved") deck you could just install yourself that basically works as an iOS in the Car unit. Nothing else.

I could see an "iOS in the Car" compatibility program happening for aftermarket units, eventually… if Apple is smart. Most people can't afford to buy a new car to simply use their phone in the car. Most of those interested could likely afford a ~$300 head unit to use the feature, though.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It depends on your manufcatuer and how they handle their handle software updates and the technology inside the car. As long as your head unit supports device mirroring you're set. I know the newest Mercedes support device mirroring (although I don't know if they have it enabled. Head units that support device mirroring will do just fine, and they might need a software update. For vehicles that don't, you'll need a new head unit.

15. bearda macrumors 6502

If the Spark gets it the Sonic will get it. The MyLink systems in the two are nearly identical, and it would be a little silly of them to restrict the feature to their lower-end car if the hardware is the same.

16. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

This is the one thing Im missing now. Hopefully there will be a retrofit system you can get for older cars over here in the UK with a dock that goes on the dashboard and a small button attaches to the steering wheel and is connected via cable that runs inside the dashboard.

17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I know this is a very old topic now, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard newer rumours now that iOS in the Car is apparently nearly here.

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

19. Wrong Turn macrumors member

To have it in a Volvo, you're gonna have to buy a new car, even if you have the same media system in your current Volvo.

20. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Event next week?

21. stevemiller macrumors 65832

You're reading a 7 month old post ;)

22. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Can you not just replace the system at least? Much cheaper than buying a car...

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Exact same thing popped into my head.

24. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Wow. So I am. Thanks!

25. Wrong Turn macrumors member

So far Volvo has made no statement that this would be optional. However if other manufacturers do, i suppose they'll follow.