iOS wants me to go mad - battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ultra AleM, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello my dear macrumors friends!

I have got an iPhone 5, since October 2012. My battery is starting to suck really bad! I noticed it in this period, since I'm on holiday and I don't have a Wi-Fi connection, but only 3G or 4G.

I think I discovered what the problem is! I charged the phone 5 hours ago, and I didn't use it. I probably just sent 2 WhatsApp messages and some other small activity, around 5-10 minutes of usage.

But if I see my statistics on settings, it says that the standby time is around 4 hours but the usage around 1 hour. How is that possible? In fact my battery is 75% yet, but I didn't do almost anything!

The signal here is not that good, but I still have 3-4 bars of 3G, and it shouldn't drain the battery so fast. I suspect there's a process that messes up everything.

Now, I can't do a full DFU recover setting up the phone as new because I would loose some important data that can't backed up or synced in iCloud. It may also be useless, since the same problem could occur in a few weeks anyways since I would install my apps again.

I recently did a normal recovery but I just gained 4-5 GB of space, not battery life.

My settings are, now:

- wifi and Bluetooth off
    - 3G and 4G on
    - 3 mails on manual (every hour)
    - Facebook disabled from GPS and app refresh

I don't have so many apps on notification center, just the main ones.

I used Battery Doctor to understand if the battery just became old, but it says I still have almost 1350 mAh of capability (the iPhone 5 maximum should be around 1400-1500).

Now, the problem is: how do I fix this situation? I am recharging my phone 2-3 times per day, it's really annoying.

Will iOS 8 help me by telling me which app or process takes all the battery life? Or will it be useless? Thanks a lot for your time

Ps: I also put my serial number on Apple battery replacement program, but it says my iPhone 5 doesn't suffer from this factory problem.

2. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Thanks for this marketing propaganda, but it's not that helpful right now. I am trying to understand if there's a way to discover which app or process is working in background making the battery life so terrible.

As I said, the usage time is 60 minutes instead of 10 minutes. That means that my battery would last 6 times more, if I fixed the problem. Theoretically. Actually I would be happy with 30-40% more.

Anyways I guess the only solution is waiting for iOS 8.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps disable background refresh completely and maybe close out all apps a few times between use and see if that makes a difference--to get an idea if it might be some app or something else.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

3G and /or poor reception will kill you battery much faster than LTE.

5. cynics macrumors G3

How much usage do you get out of a full charge?

Your math is way off too as all usage is not equal. Your phone locked and checking an email is usage just like playing a game at max screen brightness.

Not a real good way to tell what equally is killing your battery in iOS 7 but iOS 8 will show you. I'd be weary of whatsapp though.

6. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Without wifi, at home with 3-4 bars of 3G, it lasts 3 hours of usage (average).

If I go out and barely use it, it will shut down around 5-6 pm if I put it in my pocket at 10 am.

7. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

8. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hi. I thought so! But I checked the serial number and Apple says my iPhone is not affected.

I could try to replace the battery somewhere in my city. There's a telephone shop that does this kind of operation. But I will probably wait iOS 8 to see if it's fixable via software.

9. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I checked mine too. It hasn't been nearly as bad as yours sounds, but it does seem to die a lot quicker than when I first got it.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

The iPhone 5 battery was junk just like every iPhone has been since day 1. It's by FAR and away my biggest gripe with the product. Hoping the iPhone 6 5.5" begins a trend where Apple acknowledges people want larger batteries.

My iPhone 5 battery is worthless at this point... but with only a month to go I'm not going to bother getting it fixed. However, if you do, I think the cheapest route is outlined here:

http://www.imore.com/how-replace-battery-iphone-5

[​IMG]

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

It's not rolled out to Europe until 29/08/14, so try again then.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

People "might" want bigger batteries but they do not want bigger phones. If fact Apple is making them thinner to suit the wants of the users.

For 95% of the users the battery last more than long enough. I have no complaints. If you phone is a couple of years old you can expect the battery to be somewhat degraded.

13. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Oh! Didn't know it. That's some good news. I will try in a few days then :) I hope they recognize my battery is a piece of junk so I fix both the sleep button and the battery in one shot

14. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I have an old iPhone 4 and the battery performance always depended on the iOS version update than the usage, they tweak things with every x.x.x

15. saudor macrumors 6502

Try "resetting all settings" from general. You won't lose anything

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

You can't be serious. Do you really think their consumer polls are screaming "MAKE IT THINNER!" No, but I'd be willing to bet those polls are screaming for longer lasting battery life. It's so apparent the competition is mocking the battery life now. I've had every iPhone generation since the day the product debuted and find it comical that any of my iPhone faithful brethren would try to defend the battery life.

95%? lol... no. :rolleyes: Just reading these forums will show you the real number is probably 30-40% max. I'm honestly glad your experience is positive. For MANY, MANY iPhone users the battery experience is outrageously bad.

:apple:

17. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I agree with you. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they want Apple to make the iPhone thinner.

18. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Already did it. Nothing changed

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

These forums represent a tiny subgroup of iOS users who are mostly different from most typical iOS users.

20. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

Yep. I'd imagine that most users here could fall under the techie or enthusiast categories.

21. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd say that's definitely true but I personally know dozens of iPhone users (of all walks of life and tech knowledge) and not one of them is happy with battery life.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

What user would be happy about battery life of any phone unless it lasts forever? If it has to be recharged at any point, people are already unhappy. ;)

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't know about the many part. Ideally i'd like to charge my phone weekly, so yes iPhone battery is subpar based on that expectation. My battery lasts a day with ordinary use, what more could I want? More battery life is better but not at the expense of a bigger phone.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You have lost sight of the fact they people in forums discussing Apple products are NOT the norm. The vast majority jus use the phone and have no idea of the misconstrued facts given out in these forums. It is people like us that are not normal. I will stick by the fact that most as more than happy with their battery life on their iPhone. Apple will never be able to make "some" happy.

----------

They do not have to say it. Look at the other phone makers and what they are producing. People want something to stick in their pocket and thin is in, they know that and yes there are many who want it even thinner!

25. willmtaylor, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You said that you have done a "normal recovery" of your phone. Does this mean from a backup or to a factory-clean state as originally purchased? If it was to a previous backup, it could be the same app giving you issues (based on percentage of battery gone and time in use versus actual used time) combined with 3G. If you're doing a tabula rasa recovery, basically giving you a phone as you opened it on day 1, you've got battery issues.

For some process-of-elemination testing: one morning when you don't have much to do, charge up the phone 100% and then turn off 3G/4G for a few hours. See if you'll get the same battery drain in this mode. This could help determine whether searching for 3G signal is the primary culprit or not.

Also: http://www.scottyloveless.com/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

Best of luck.