iOS4 & Battery ... ugh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott-n-Houston, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

My phone has all its services turned on. I usually leave them all on (bluetooth, location, 3G, PUSH, etc) and prior to the iOS4 upgrade, my battery sucked...

but now it sucks more!
    Last night, it sat on my bedside table, unplugged for 7-8 hours. It started at 100% and when I woke up, it was at 75%.

This is not a good thing...

More and more I'm tempted to just ditch iPhone because of the battery. I would imagine the new hardware coming out will only even out the new OS's use of battery to make it like a 3GS on iOS3. :mad:

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Why leave everything on? Looks like your looking for a reason to bitch. Just saying. Plus leaving everything on and letting it sit for 8 hours 25% ain't too bad.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

If you have push on a 25% drain for 7-8 hours, to me is pretty good.

4. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because it's a good baseline for testing. That's why.
    Also, during the day, I use almost everything. I'm a heavy user of my phone... BT headset, driving around using maps/location, and leaving PUSH on for "Find My Phone" which paid for itself once after it fell out of my pocket at a restaurant.

I'm not looking for a reason to bitch. I love the iPhone and I really like iOS4, but the battery flat out sucks on these things. :mad:

5. diabolic macrumors 68000

Compared to what? In my experience, the batteries aren't any worse than other phones when doing the same types of things.

Weren't you unhappy with the iPad battery too? And that has flat-out amazing battery life.

Could you be expecting something better than existing tech can provide?

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

7. alakazzam macrumors member

Still early but, for me it seems battery life is pretty much how it was before iOS 4. I'll keep an eye on it though.

8. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Compared to a Blackberry. (Note: I HATE HATE HATE Blackberries, but their battery usage blows the iPhone away in my experience)

And no. I have always been 100% a fan of the iPad battery. I love the iPad and its battery life is AMAZING.

Note... my post is regarding battery life getting worse with iOS4. It appears to have on my phone... then it morphed into iPhone batteries sucking in general, which they do. Even a fanboy should acknowledge that... because I am one. Freakin love Apple, but they aren't perfect.

9. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I know FOR SURE
    iOS4 drains my battery FASTER than iOS3.1.X

I have a 3GS... this is a very bad thing....
    the battery drained at least 10-25% faster

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a solution. Restore and set up as new phone. Do not restore from back-up. Back-ups usually cause too many problems.

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Everyone whined about wanting multi-tasking, and Apple said it would drain the battery.

Now that everyone has multi-tasking, they whine about it draining the battery. Jesus, people!!

Have you considered plugging in your phone once in a while? Especially at NIGHT??

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Multitasking on the iPhone doesn't drain the battery

http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2010/04/19/iphone-os-4-multitasking-explained-again/

I've been surprised how good my battery has been on ios4. I restored from backup and it's been great.

Maybe I'm just not such a heavy user though.

13. Dr. Foosball macrumors newbie

The battery drain is well worth the benefits that iOS4 adds. Quit whining, Nancy.