iOS4 GM FINAL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nunes013, Jun 16, 2010.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

is the current ios4 that apple released the shipping version or will there be another gm coming by the end of this week. I'm confused because the last one released was a candidate.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

GM means Gold Master.

Look up Gold Master in Wikipedia.;)

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It should be the one that is installed on the new iPhones.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Since we haven't seen a new release since the GM RC that was made available to developers last Monday, and the fact that iOS 4.0 is officially available to the public in 5 days, it's probably the final version.

5. Cubsfan macrumors member

Have they released an iTunes 9.2 beta for Windows yet?

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There will be no iTunes 9.2 beta released for Windows. Expect public availability when iOS 4.0 is released or slightly before.

7. danielsmu macrumors regular

What are you basing this on? As far as i know, apple has never said anything officially about not providing a windows beta.

8. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm basing this on common sense. What good would it do to release a beta for software whose final version will be out by Monday? Last I read, iOS 4.0 requires iTunes 9.2 or above.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Plus you have to have OS X to develop apps (XCode). What would be the point of providing a beta to devs for Windows?

10. danielsmu macrumors regular

Common sense would involve testing a major software update (iOS 4.0) on all major platforms (not just OSX).

I took issue with your post because i suspected that you were stating your opinion as fact. Looks like my suspicions were justified.

11. danielsmu macrumors regular

For registered windows devs who sync their iphones to a windows machine.

Also to properly test a major sofrware update on all major platforms.

12. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

The point would be that our testers often are windows users. Part of app development is testing for some of us anyway.

13. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't iOS4 independent of Windows/Mac? You don't have to "Format for Windows" or "Format for Mac" anymore like you used to on iPods back in the days, do you?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

But Apple can do that themselves. Your app isn't not going to work because you're syncing it with Windows instead of OS X. That makes sense to me. Not being a dev, am I missing something?

15. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No, you're not missing anything.

16. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

I know what golden master means, but because they said candidate it lead me to believe that there would be another

17. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

candidate means just that, it may or may not be final, depending how things go. It's close enough that they reckon it might be final, but if any last minute things come up, they can still be changed for a true final for next week.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Right. Things are looking up for this release though. It works very well on a 3G.

19. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Yes, you both are missing the point entirely. The app isn't different but the fact remains that 90% of iPhone users only have access to a Win device to sync. If you happen to have beta testers for your app among that population, then they need a Win iTunes option. Otherwise you're limited to having testers that have Macs.

Now, after all my bitching, I realize that Apple has actually timed it reasonably well. They gave devs time to refactor and do some testing themselves and then allowed a week for a broader community to test prior to launch.