iOS4 - Has it brought your 3G to its' knees?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oilbrnr, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I swear, the thing has become almost unusable at times since the update. Text entry can be uber painful until things in memory seem to clear. Anyone else seem to have this experience? Haven't seen it in these threads so just wondering.

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Mroogle it. Dozens of threads.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

holy cow bro...there is a thread like right below this!!! lmao

4. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I had the same problem on my 3G, then my iPhone 4 came.
    The speed difference is INCREDIBLE!

5. Oilbrnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolio, I just didn't see any active threads going on this, and it is a bit of an issue IMHO. (I've been on vacation for the past couple of weeks too, and not really following MR *that* closely, sorry)

Does Apple QA anything anymore or do they just think that everything they do is perfect as designed?

6. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Well everyone was crying that 3G didn't get multitasking and stuff, I think we know why. It's hardware is 5 years old (same as the original iPhone that apple was designing in 2005)

Apple isn't gonna code different OS's for older hardware. Either upgrade, deal with it, or stay on 3.1.3

7. Oilbrnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Mmmkay, so consolidated inboxes and folders should not cripple the 3G as I see it. Do you?

Obviously you are coding ignorant.

/

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

A unified inbox has nothing to do with why ios4 cripples the 3G. That stuff is on servers anyway. No I'm not a coder, nor do I know anything about it.

But your talking about putting a newly revised OS on 5 year old hardware. That doesn't make sense. Should I put vista on an old celeron computer? No.

Obviously apple didn't code ios4 to run on the 3G. I can't blame em. Just get a 3GS or a 4. There not gonna keep supporting old phones.

Has samsung updated the 3-4 year old blackjack? Nope. No phone companies focus on devices that are EOL (end of life)

If a specific device is still for sell, they support it. If it's not for sell, the dump it. It's how it works.

9. jdwebby macrumors newbie

Apple should give the option to downgrade the OS if you experience problems with 3G on IOS4. I use my old 3G as ipod and web browser/games for my kid. When I upgraded the thing is insane slow.

I think apple let us have IOS4 on 3G so that we can see that we need to upgrade...!!! nice marketing strategy :)

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i agree. they should allow the option to downgrade.

11. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I agree - so slow it's painful. I reboot daily and get a few hours of better speed before it grinds down again.

My other half has been using my black iP4 (she really needed a new phone!) while we were waiting for her white one to be available. Now it's been delayed again, there's no way she's having one - I need my iP4 now!

TT

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Err... A 5 year old Celeron would have come with Vista pre-installed on it. And if you put Windows 7 on it, it would actually run better than it did with Vista...

Phazer

13. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

A 5 year old celeron would run like a 3G with ios4. It would be slow and buggy and not usable. Don't try and say vista would run flawless on a celeron from 2005. If memory serves it would've came with xp at that time anyways. Actually vista was not released until January 2007. It also was much later in the year that it came pre-installed on all machines. So a 2005 computer had to come with XP lol

I agree windows 7 would run better on it. But Microsoft has to make their OS with slower hardware in mind. Apple doesn't. Cell phones are treated a bit differently. Once it's off the shelf, they will simply not support it anymore. If they did nokia,samsung,lg etc would have hundreds of phones to still support and release updates to etc.

Fact of the matter is, the 3G isn't supported anymore. You can either downgrade. Keep ios4. Or upgrade your device. Period.

14. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Gruber posted a video about this....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdk2cJpSXLg&feature=player_embedded

Apparently a DFU restore improves things.

C.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I don't know, I restored my old 3G to 4.0 and set it up as new and it's been running just fine and now on 4.0.1 also running fine.

16. chrisgpix macrumors member

downgrade

My 3G became pretty much unusable on 4.0 so I downgraded back to 3.1 and it goes like lightning again. Apple are clever they have allowed the upgrade on a 3G to show how outdated the phone is....and needs upgrading!

17. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Some 3Gs running iOS4.0 become super-slow. But a DFU restore actually improves this. This suggests some kind of bug - rather than a problem with the OS itself.

iOS4.0 is a little slower than 3.1 . Which is unusual for Apple. Most Apple OS upgrades bring performance improvements to the same hardware. From what I am hearing, 4.1 will be faster.

And from my own personal experience, iOS4.0 running on a Jailbroken 3G is very slow indeed.

C.

18. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Even the 3GS has a few issues, although one of those is an iOS4 cpu cycle bug which persists until resetting the device (I have an idea of what causes this, but not 100% sure atm)

If they can fix that, iOS4 is good for 3GS, but you still get the odd lag on menus, which is odd since the menus look exactly like iOS3... so there must be needless bloat added into iOS4

19. twcbc macrumors member

I would love Apple to "overclock" my 3G a little bit to get a decent performance on iOS4. Even though this will reduce some battery life. iOS4 has some good feature and I won't go back to iOS3.

20. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Mine is as good as nothing. Apple shouldn't offer the upgrade when plugged into iTunes.

21. DavidMc macrumors member

Mine would work alright after a restart but quickly slow down and make me want to throw it against the wall. It wasn't as big of a deal as I had my iP4 on order and was just waiting on it. The problem is though my wife wants to use my 3G and I can't in my right mind give it to her for even a day because I know that she will get way more frustrated with it then I did. There definitely should be a way to restore to a previous OS for older models like this.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

A warning to those still on iOs 3.1.3 and older:

iTunes is no longer allowing restored to firmware versions 4.0 and older, iTunes is now verifying SHSH when doing restores. This means the iPhone 3G can no longer be restored to anything earlier than what is current. Be very careful on what you are doing with your iPhone 3G if you wish to stay on 3.1.3, you will have no choice but to install 4.0.1 if you should need to restore.

I logged into Cydia this morning and it now has my SHSH stored for 4.0.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can jailbreak 3 to get those features and the ones Apple didn't give you with less of a performance hit than installing 4.

24. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

Exactly why I downgraded to 3.1.2. There really isn't much incentive for iOS 4 on the 3G anyway. Folders, unified inbox, and iAds. I guess I'll be missing out on all of the iAds. Oh, well... :rolleyes:

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I don't see any of the above on my 3Gs with IOS4. It's plain faster than it ever has been and runs flawlessly. Never had to reboot it and still haven't.