iOS4 jailbreak pwnagetool - cydia crash

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MathijsDelva, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

Hello,

I succesfully managed to jailbreak my 3GS with iOS4 using Pwnagetool 4. The only problem i have is that Cydia won't launch. It's crashes before i see anything. I really need Cydia.. I managed to unlock my iPhone anyway by using a technique i found on some chinese website (placing the two .deb files in a specific folder). I can't use SSH or anything because Cydia won't start up!

Re-jailbreaking is not an option. I read somewhere that there's a fix for when Cydia crashed after a jailbreak, but that accounts for the fact that there are other (old) files in a specific folder on the iPhone. Problem is; there are no files. So it's a completely new set-up, completely new Cydia that won't launch. Is there a way to install Cydia from my Mac onto my iPhone.

Is Cydia not compatible with iOS4 or what?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Restore to the same IPSW you made with pwnage thru itunes again.

3. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

I'm willing to try that tonight but i don't see how's that going to help since it's the Cydia in that same ipsw that crashes. What would make it not crash again?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cydia might load up fine after the restore.
    Nothing else you can do but try creating another custom IPSW and restore to that thru itunes.

5. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

I can't re-restore with a newly created ipsw from Pwnagetool -again-? Because it only works with an old bootrom which i had when i was still on 3.1.3. But now i have the new bootrom since i'm on 4.0. I'll brick my iphone if i jailbreak again?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    Your iphone is still pwned/JB from the custom 4.0 IPSW that you're on now. You will never have the new bootrom, thats only updated at the factory when the iphone is built and not thru an itunes update.
    You can restore to as many custom IPSW's as you want. Just make sure not to restore to any official 4.0

7. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Ow ok, that's good to know. Thanks in advance. So there is no way other than restoring/rejailbreaking for getting Cydia to work again properly?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not unless you have OpenSSH installed when you created the IPSW with pwnage if you went into cydia settings to add that.

9. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah forgot about that one. Since you're here; when jailbreaking, i need to add the Cydia Package to the ipsw. But do i also need to check the Cydia Custom package (which is 15MB)?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes just the cydia packages. Leave the custom packages setting alone.

11. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

12. tiongsquare macrumors newbie

hi, im facing the same problem as yours now, just wondering if u managed to solve your cydia problem?

13. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Have you taken time to read the actual topic? I'm trying it tonight..

14. tiongsquare macrumors newbie

oh ok...

15. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

Similar problem - cydia crashing

Guys,

I have run into a similar problem. I had my iPhone 3GS on 3.1.3 on the old bootrom (04. ) and using the pwnage tool 4.01 i upgrades to iOS4 and 05. 13.04 baseband. I entered recovery mode and restored using iTunes 9.2 and cydia crashes when trying to start up.

I also used the iPhoneBrowser utility to see if there were any other files in /var/lib/apt/lists and there was nothing in there other than the folder "Partial".

I restarted my phone, but cydia still crashes. I also tried to restore again using the custom .ipsw file, but no luck.

I have now created a new custom ipsw file. Am trying to restore it with that one now.

Guys.... is there any other solution that you can think of? I really need to unlock my iPhone 3GS using Ultrasn0w, but i am unable to even get cydia started.

PLEASE HELP!

16. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

SUCCESS!!!!!!

I tried creating the ipsw file through the simple mode in the pwnage tool 4.01 and it worked!!!!!!

Phew!

17. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Crap, i hope i can do it through advanced mode because i don't want the bootlogos!

18. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

I too didn't want the custom boot logo, but i will take that any day over not being able to unlock it... good luck!

19. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't work.. I did it all over again and it still crashes. Guess i'll try the simple mode..

20. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, it seems to have worked using the simple mode. I guess that's a bug right? Anyway, i hope the jailbreak is exactly the same as i would've wanted with the advanced mode!

Edit: is there a way to change the boot logo afterwards?

21. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

Yeah, this is definitely a bug... I wonder if the iPhone Dev Team is aware of this...

22. Scott007 macrumors newbie

My attempt

hi,

i had exactly the same problem: i didn't want the custom logos, so i made my own custum restore, with no preactivation. After i downloaded iTunes 9.2 to reactivate my 3GS (which came from jailbroken 3.1.2), i skiped the 'restore' from my previously made backup, because all my cracked apps would fail to be synced.

Then i wanted to run Cydia to simply install AppSync for 4.0; afterwards i could restore from my backup. But this failed; Cydia always crashed.

But Cydia had no WiFi/internet connection, because i did not configure this yet.

Therefore, i decided, to let iTunes make a complete restore - and voilà, afterwards Cydia startet as expected. No crash.

I'm happy with this solution and cannot say, whether it was the missing WiFi/internet configuration or anything else. But i think, this could be the clue for your solution as well. It's worth i trial.

greetz.

23. jabulani20 macrumors newbie

cydia crashing in iOS 4 3GS

how do i solve the cydia crashing problem on iphone 3GS. i wanted
    Hactivation and ultrasn0w unlock.
    I am using windows 7, i don't have MAC so i need a custom ipsw with the above features to restore in itunes.

kindly help

24. johnboy2k10 macrumors newbie

Does simple mode enable multitasking and wallpapers on a 3G?

25. og1 macrumors regular

weird, I had upgraded to official 4.0, but had my blobs on file. Tonight I was bored so I downgraded to 3.1.2, JB with blackra1n, and upgraded to custom 4.0 made with pwnage tool, cydia works fine for me, though hardly any of the JB apps have been updated to work on 4.0.