Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardude280

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
West Virginia
this may of just been for me and my particular situation but it seemed like wifi had to be connected before it would fully launch cydia but i was doing this on a hacktivated 3g with no sim card in it so who knows

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
4.0 cydia crash fixed ( for Pwnage Tool)

Since the old solution via deleting the cache files of course didn't work since there are none after an initial JB, this procedure did. Contemplating the issue, I tried to follow the route via removing Cydia and reinstalling it. Turned out it is just necessary to upgrade Cydia from within.

This worked for OLDBOOT 3GS..:

1. Start Pwnage Tool, choose Expert Mode and iPhone type.

2. In Cydia Settings, make sure aptitude gets properly installed. Make sure to have the below packages - the (*) are a must. Download them, if necessary, by adding them to the queue in the Download Packages tab and mark them in the Selected Packages tab:

apt 0.7 (all of them)*
aptitude*
cwidget*
libsgc++*
bigboss's source*
bourne-again shell*
c++ standard library*
core utilities
core utilities (/bin)
cydia community sources*
cydia installer*
debian packager*
openssh*
openssl*
sudo
adv-cmds*
basic-cmds*

3. Make sure to have the Cydia Installer selected in the Customer Package Settings on the next screen.

4. Create the custom restore file and restore the iPhone with it.

5. Perhaps restore from the backup and connect to the WiFi network.

6. Run Mail app or something to keep the iPhone's WiFi awake.

7. SSH to the iPhone and login as root.

8. Run the following command:
# aptitude upgrade

9. Run the Cydia app and it should work.

igzabier

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
okay I got it to work! whew!

it will work in SIMPLE MODE with no problem.

But when I made custom fw in EXPERT I would always have Cydia crash BUG.

So, to make it work in EXPERT: just make sure to not select any packages in BUILD.

like no packages under cydia settings(not select Cydia Installer,Cydia Community Sources,OpenSSH), just next to 'Custom Packages Setiings' and leave Cydia Installer checked as it is by default.

[the first page in expert mode titled 'Cydia Settings', I had nothing checked, then next screen titled 'Custom Package Settings' I left it checked for Cydia Installer, now Cydia works on phone, thanks

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
okay I got it to work! whew!

it will work in SIMPLE MODE with no problem.

But when I made custom fw in EXPERT I would always have Cydia crash BUG.

So, to make it work in EXPERT: just make sure to not select any packages in BUILD.

like no packages under cydia settings(not select Cydia Installer,Cydia Community Sources,OpenSSH), just next to 'Custom Packages Setiings' and leave Cydia Installer checked as it is by default.

[the first page in expert mode titled 'Cydia Settings', I had nothing checked, then next screen titled 'Custom Package Settings' I left it checked for Cydia Installer, now Cydia works on phone, thanks

Yeah, I tried that before my above solution and did not work for me. Seems like different results for everyone..

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
this may of just been for me and my particular situation but it seemed like wifi had to be connected before it would fully launch cydia but i was doing this on a hacktivated 3g with no sim card in it so who knows

same problem here on a non-hacktivated 3gs. after i enabled wifi, started cydia, it was able to start with just 3g enabled.

weird bug...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I had no problem using expert mode and the default settings (except for custom logos, which I did not want). I think you folks are making this more difficult than it has to be by clicking things you oughtn't.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
When assembling a custom restore IPSW with Pwnage Tool, keep it simple, Cydia, OpenSSH and MobileTerminal and that's all. Otherwise your jailbreak is more prone to fail.

slimitroff

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Solution

I had the exact problem and this worked for me...

I have a 3GS and upgraded to IOS4.1

When you are in pwnagetool and selecting the packages you want, make sure to go to

download packages
hit refresh next to the url already typed in
and double click on cydia installer to download the newest version.

cydia opens perfect for me now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.