iOS4 on 3G Slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theturtle, Jun 18, 2010.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

hey guys, is anybody running GM iOS4 on their iphone 3g? I recently sold my 3gs so im using my 3g as my primary. i loaded up iOS4, and geez,everything is REALLY slow. there seems to be lag EVERYWHERE. i don't remember the original speed of the 3g after using the 3gs for such a long time but still, i don't remember the speed of the 3g being this bad. it would take 5+ seconds for the message app to come up. typing also has horrible lag. whats going on? any solutions?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

restore as new. mine works fine, sure it's not the speed of 3GS but it's just as fast as 3.1.3.

3. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Mine is slow on the 3GS. I may need to restore.

4. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

It will just end up slowing down again. Half the memory and processor of the GS, and a quarter of the 4?

Kinda like running Vista on a Pentium 4 , or Tiger on an old G4.

5. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I have a GS :confused:

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Did you jailbreak? Did you restore from a jailbroken backup? That often slows stuff down.

7. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

Anybody noticing that the sensitivity in mobile Safari seems to be "off"...

The pages seem to be a lot jumpier, resulting in a greater number of mis-clicks (for lack of a better word)...

I'm on a 3GS, non-jail broken, iOS 4 GM

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I did a full restore on my iPhone 3G and then set it up as a new phone.

iOS 4.0 is a PIG on is thing. It feels like it's dropped about 50% in speed over the admittedly slow iOS 3.x

Yes, it has far less system resources than the 3GS and the iPhone 4 but it's not like Apple are pushing out one version of the OS for every phone. Each device has a specific version. They should at least perform the same as the OS it replaced.

It is really, really slow.

9. tiresias314 macrumors member

Another 3G owner running the iOS4 GM, and also experiencing performance issues. When you reboot, it runs fairly fast, but it seems like some programs are more hung up than others. Never really noticed such a lack of responsiveness when using just the iPod function, but starting playback seems to lag sometimes.

While I think the GM currently in the field may not be final release, I'm also inclined to think Apple won't try too hard to get it working properly on old hardware. Just the Apple MO.

10. cgentry macrumors member

It's making my 3G almost unbearable. I know I can go back to another firmware, but I don't want to go through the hassle. Running a buggy iOS4 is going to make waiting for the white 4 (w4?.. that'd be a good abbreviation) even longer...

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Two things slowed my 3G down:

1) Multi-tasking. If I had two or three in the background I would be okay but anymore and it was definitely slower. Of course, it's not meant to multi-task either.

2) A lot of pages of apps on the springboard with home wallpapers. I put everything into folders on two pages and the speed up was significant.

12. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

^This.

13. army91c macrumors 6502a

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That will never happen.
    Put out a new and update version of the mobile OS on the same phone with tons of new addons on the same outdated hardware and perform the same as the previous OS it replaced.

The 4.0 GM out right now will be the same exact file available to the public in a few days thru itunes.

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Seems like it's a crapshoot. I have iOS 4 on my 3G and it's working noticeably faster than 3.1.3 was. I had it jailbroken for a bit however most of the apps around there were still not ready for that firmware, so I switched back to just an install of the GM and everything is nice. You can always grab iFile and disable multitasking, I noticed that it did help with the overall speed of iOS4 on my 3G at the time.

16. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Multitasking isn't even enabled on the 3G.

17. tiresias314 macrumors member

Then as per typical Apple fashion, I'd expect a point release update by the end of July or August to fix the issues.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likelly within a month or so they will fix bugs and probably patch up the baseband and JB hacks like usual.
    But I dont expect to see any speed increase with 4.0+ on 3G models.

19. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

If you jailbreak with redsn0w it is. Actually I checked and even if you uncheck the options, it STILL enables Multitasking. All depends what users have done, there's a number of people experiencing slowdowns, so I wasn't directing that towards those who have not jailbroken their phone.

20. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Ah gotcha.
    Thought you meant there was something still enabled, slowing the OS down, on a fresh 4.0 install.

21. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I should have specified. WHOOPS. Only thing I can think of is not restoring as a new phone for that, the first time I installed GM it was restoring the previous phone and it was indeed a little sluggish, but taking it as a brand spanking new device worked quite well. There unfortunately seems to be no rhyme or reason for 3G users, either it works great, or sucks (Seemingly with no logical reason, to boot)

22. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

On my 3G its not supper terrible. I have had it freeze up when I type and have to do a hard reset. But other than that im used to the OS running bad on my 3G.

I just feel bad for those people that bought the 3G as their first iPhone in the recent months with it being only $99 and having it run like crap! I know quite a few people who bought the 3G already running 3.0 and it sucks cause they didnt quite get to experience the phone when it fully functioned well in the 2.0 days like i did.

There are going to be a lot of iPhone 3G users that have had their phones for less than a year and are going to be stuck with a crappy OS/phone. That's going to be a great first impression!
    :rolleyes:

23. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I tried as a new phone, so I'm not quite sure. I guess I'll try a restore again once iOS 4 officially comes out on Monday.

24. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I got the 3G only a few months ago and it hasn't been a bad experience at all. Of course it's not the top of the line iPhone at all, but I'm not going to look at the wife and go "HEY YOUR PRESENT SUCKS" :D iOS 4 is just enough of a boost for my phone to keep me going until later in August when I can grab a 4th Gen. I'm not eligible for the hardware upgrade from my carrier which would have been nice, but c'est la vie.

25. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Well i would HIGHLY recommend you not upgrade to 4 if 3.0 has been running well for you. iOS4 on the 3G doesn't work too well and i would have been highly upset about how much it sucks if it werent for me getting iPhone 4 in a few days...