iOS4 on iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tibetanterrier, Jun 20, 2010.

1. tibetanterrier macrumors newbie

Will multitasking be the only feature missing from iOS4 when installed on an iPhone 3G???

2. Illusion86 macrumors regular

Illusion86

Also no wallpaper, but you can use redsn0w to get around that.

3. a3silver macrumors member

I have the Gold Master on my 3G, if that's any indication of the sw released tomorrow, it will run like crap on the 3G. Possibly iOS would run better w/o restoring from your backup would help, but who knows..

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iPhone 3G will have wallpaper
    [​IMG]

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

This is false. I have 4.0 on my 3G and homescreen wallpapers are not in it!

6. a3silver macrumors member

not on the gold master version, at least..

7. flipm725 macrumors regular

I hope there's a new build tomorrow. It'll be nice to have wallpapers. I JB'ed 4.0 just to see how well the 3G runs with wallpaper and it runs fine.

8. a3silver macrumors member

I have the new wallpapers on my 3G running the gold master but they do not show on the app screens (only on lock)... anyone else see this??

9. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I don't plan on upgrading my 3G. I will keep it JB and give it to the wife as an iPod Touch. If you do still have a 3G why not get the 3GS for $97 or something. It's only around about $100.00 with tax so what 2 hours of work or so.

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

The photo is incorrect. None of the betas or the GM has had wallpaper on home screens on the 3G.

+1 It runs like crap on the 3G no matter what. It improved with the GM version/candidate, but still is very sluggish. It makes 3.x seem like a speed demon and 3.x was sluggish compared to 2.x.

11. draz macrumors 6502a

with the iOS 4.0 GM release this is how it works for 3G (which is how it has always been).
    Unless the version that gets released allows the wallpaper behind the icons, which I doubt, then the 3G does not officially support it (but jailbreaking it does allow wallpapers behind the icons)

12. draz macrumors 6502a

Indeed there is a lot of lag on my 3G especially when I am unlocking it. The slider is noticeably slower at responding to my slide and if I do it fast enough doesn`t even show the slide movement and goes straight to the keypad.

That lag is pretty much noticeable everyone in iOS4.... But the ability to have folders and a few other features is enough for me to keep it on and not go back to 3.1.3...

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Backgrounds is not all, it also looks like we won't be getting orientation lock either...............................:rolleyes:

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The 3G Springboard has always been slow when you have more than, say 5 pages of apps. Put everything in folders and have 2 pages and the lag disappears.

15. draz macrumors 6502a

Which is silly and not sure why, I would think it takes more effort to rotate something than if it was not rotated at all :confused:

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's because they made it apart of the multi-tasking interface.

17. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

No one truly has the iOS4 GM seed. Read the developer notes:
    [​IMG]
    On that note, back in beta 1 there wasn't any support for it in the 3G. We submitted a bug report and Apple confirmed it. They still haven't put it in. We have one more build till we see the final version.

18. BigGarb macrumors member

Update to iOS4 on 3G before transferring to iPhone 4?

According to the Apple site, this is step one for "Transferring information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone"

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and iPhone OS. Download the latest version of iTunes and remember to install it after you download it.

see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

So I understand this to be saying that I need to update to iOS4 on my 3G before migrating to my new iPhone 4.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I know that I have heard that there is speed and operating issues with 3G phones running the GM iOS4. Should I just run the update right before migrating to the new phone?

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea, which is pretty dumb. They could have at least put it somewhere in settings..

20. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Nah you should be fine. Where the trouble comes is if lets say you (some how??) had a older version of iOS on the iPhone 4.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

22. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

23. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

You may be right and the put it in, but that screenshot is from the iOS 4 SDK, not iOS 4 itself - which IS a GM seed.

24. a3silver macrumors member

It's lost on me why wallpapers are big deal and why it's desirable at all... The water-drop background seems suited to show off the higher-res display, but the black background gives better contrast for the real purpose of the home screen - selecting an app. Anything that distracts from that is bad design, IMO