iOS5 iMessage Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krafty, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

QQ - is iMessage a separate app or a new SMS app with the chat built in?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

honestly I am hoping it built into SMS app because last thing I want to hear is things from Apple fans telling me should get an iPhone so we can chat with you. Sorry but no I am not leaving Android for that.
    SMS works just fine as far as I am conserned. I never really got into BBM when I was on blackberry.

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

The reason I was asking is because I'm still attached to biteSMS, but the iMessage app is pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure the bSMS team could organize something like that, but I doubt with all the things they have backed up that it'll make it before iOS5, or even then we gotta be patient if the dev-team offers a JB solution to iOS5, so it would be great to have as an external app, but I wasn't sure if that was mentioned.

4. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

I think it will be separate. It is iPhone to iPhone so why would it be integrated into SMS. It is BBM for iPhone.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Is it going to use data or will it count as a single text message toward your SMS count?

Kind of like how BBM uses data (or programs like Kik).

6. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

It would have to use data just like PingChat, Yahoo Messenger, etc. do now.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Can anyone say Game Over, RIM?

8. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

That still won't stop people from complaining that they want it to be a cross-platform app. RIM is dead. The only cross-platform that is viable is between Android and iPhone. That is what 3rd party apps are for, though.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not really because it has no cross over with BBM network. So if you wanted to jump ship to the iPhone you could still not talk with everyone on BBM.

blackberry is still a better pure communication tool than anything else out there.
    Communication including SMS, Email and BBM but I have found of the smart phone OS for email that I have used Blackberry handles Email by far the best and iOS (4 and down) handles it the worse.

That and the hardware keyboard is really nice. Talk to people who have left blackberry and ask them how their emails have changed. Chances are they email less than they did on blackberry and the ones they do write are much shorter and quicker. That is the biggest thing I miss about my blackberry is the keyboard.

10. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

I missed BBM when I switched, too. The solution was that all but 2 BBM friends/co-workers switched to Android or iPhone. We all use PingChat now. At my office everyone used to have a BB. Now less than 10% do. We can get whatever devices on whatever carrier we want. iPhones are probably over 50% now.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Good points.

I've been using Kik for cross platform messaging.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But like you said you all will use 3rd party ones because you all use multiple devices so iMessaging is not going to change how things run.
    I kind of fear Apple will be Apple and find some way to really hurt the 3rd party guy blocking them some how on iOS.

13. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

True. I don't see myself using iMessage much because then it is just another app to use. Soon I will have unlimited texting (daughter is getting a phone this year) so wife and I will just use that.

I don't see them blocking free messaging apps, though.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

this will probably also be a kick in the pants to some of us that share an Apple ID between 2 people in the household.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Look at the Google voice blocking. No "duplicating" something else iOS already offers.

As for unlimite messaging family plan is rather nice when you consider its cost when you have multiple people going north of 1k.

I still call charging anything for SMS a huge rip off as it is near 100% pure profit for carriers even if someone is doing 30-40k person month it might cost them 1 buck for all that.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's a separate built in app that will be available on the iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad.

17. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have to imagine that apple has found way to work it into messages. Why would they copy bbm directly. It'll probably interface right into messages and you'll either text a contact's phone number or email address from the same app. If its another iDevice you'll get the benefits. If not you won't. Why wouldn't that work.

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This will be good for us text message heavy people. I know my girlfriend and I text a lot on our iPhones, so we both have unlimited text messages with AT&T. At least now I can downgrade to the 1,000/msgs and save $10/month.

19. shandyman Suspended

actually it's iOS device to iOS, not just iPhone

Google Voice is available on the iPhone for a while now, there's no blocking..... there was briefly before, but it was temporary obviously

20. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Oh, and not to mention, this will also be available WORLD WIDE. No long distance texting fees and you'll be able to keep in contact with family or friends all over the world.

For that reason alone, it's more than worth it.

21. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

22. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

It says on apple.com
    the app is built in.
    So i'm guessing it's in the SMS app for the iPhones..

I'm really excited to upgrade to iOS5

23. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

This will be great to help cut down on text message costs.

24. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I wonder if I'll be able to send texts to people that don't have an iOS device on my iPad? It's annoying having to reach for the iPhone to reply to text messages

25. jallenclark macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#imessage

Yeah, I had read that earlier and with people stating here it was separate I was confused. Just a lot of people jumping to conclusions, thanks for the info.