iOS6 on main phone

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rheb1026, Jul 23, 2012.

1. rheb1026 macrumors member

I am a registered developer and would like to try out the two apps I have made on iOS6, but am very nervous about installing it on my phone. I'm a university student, so I don't have the money to buy another device just for testing. I have an old 3G, but obviously that won't work with iOS6

Is it safe enough to use on my main phone? I understand there will be bugs and quirks. Or should I just wait it out until the final version is released?

My phone is a 4S and is still under warranty if that matters any

Thank you

2. parrot5 macrumors 6502

The inconveniences (to me):
    • No PURCHASED list in iTunes to re-download your music
    • Apple Maps instead of Google Maps
    • Some apps force close
    • Extra Emojis are not viewable if someone opens it on iOS 5 or under. Existing list works fine.

To me they aren't deal breakers so I have iOS 6 on my main phone.

3. rheb1026 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm mostly concerned that the phone or texting function won't work, and for whatever reason wouldn't be able to downgrade back to iOS5.

If that seems to be a non issue, then I'll probably give it a shot.

I already have a copy of the 5.1.1 ipsw and my backup on the computer

4. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Phone and text work fine for me... Haven't seen anyone complaining about these functions at least. (Phone audio wasn't working properly for some of us on the iPhone 4 only, but even that was fixed with Beta 3)

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Phone and text work fine for me also. Been using iOS 6 on my phone since friday and I haven't noticed any issues that would make me go back to 5.1.1

6. rheb1026 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your input. I feel much more confident now about trying it out

7. MagnusF macrumors regular

Been using iOS6 on my main phone since it came out. No problems up to date

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

I'm using it on my main phone as well and I've had no problems as of yet. If you have any issues, you can always shift + restore back to iOS 5.1.1.

9. brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

I am using it on my main phone/device.
    By the way, even if your device is in warranty, Apple will charge for any repairs because you are using pre-release software.

10. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Just a heads up if that phone is your development device for testing xcode apps you may not want to upgrade.

As far as I know you can not run apps made in the current xcode on a ios6 device. This means to test your programs on your phone you need to upgrade your xcode as well. The beta xcode which is required to run on ios6 apps will not allow you to upload apps to the app store.

Development/Uploading is haulted by upgrading your phone to ios6.

11. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I had a problem with MMS not sending with iOS 6 but I reset network settings and that seems to have fixed it. Other than that iOS 6 has been pretty trouble free for me.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I also have a problem with mms not going through!! Only worked with people who I iMessage. I guess I should try resetting network settings and see if it works.

13. geko29 macrumors 6502

My experience thus far with 2 iPad3s and a 4th-gen iPod Touch precludes me from even thinking about installing iOS6 on my phone. Beta2, in particular, is the least reliable version of iOS I've used since 3.1 jailbroken with blackra1n (which was atrocious and lasted less than a week), and substantially worse than any beta I can remember for 3, 4, or 5. Beta3 is a bit better, but still pretty bad.

14. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

text and phone have been working fine in beta 2 and 3

15. rheb1026 thread starter macrumors member

I was not aware of this. Can I still submit my apps using the old Xcode to the app store for 5.1? Am just not be able to test them on the phone? They're already pretty much finalized and ready to be sent in

16. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

The thing is the old/current xcode will not recognize your device once you upgrade to ios6. In order to do any testing on that device you will have to upgrade your xcode to the beta. As far as I know you cannot submit apps to the app store with the beta xcode.

You can currently use the old xcode as long as your device is still 5.1 and not 6.0.

If you are looking to submit your app before ios6 goes on sale upgrading is not a good idea. I updated my gfs phone to ios6 because I still do testing and am submitting apps.

Again I have not directly tested this but I did run into this in the past with 5.0 I believe. I was on the old xcode and I updated my phone to 5.0 and xcode would not recognize my device. I had to get the new xcode the lame thing was it would only run on lion so I had to buy that too lol.

17. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Before I sold my iPhone, I was using it with iOS 6 and there wasn't any issues apart from iMessage messing up once in a while.

18. nigameash macrumors 6502

I'm testing out ios 6 on my main device too and apart from the bad battery life and apple maps replacing google maps, everything is good.