Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Change is good, but not when it runs, feels and looks like this.

tumblr_mo8n3vkfbV1svn1xeo1_400.gif

The ppl who like iOS 7's design are the ones who really didn't pass Grade 1 colouring class.

Attachments

• j9bh20.jpg
    j9bh20.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
iOS 6 is to William Shatner's "Star Trek" as iOS 7 is to JJ Abram's "Star Trek".

...which means iOS 6 is way better.

Just downgraded my iPhone 4 back to iOS 6.1.3. The sluggishness was intorelable (and yes, I have installed iOS 7 from scratch without restoring backup, didn't help). With iOS 6, the iPhone feels so smooth and fast. What was that word? Snappy? And those beautiful, detailed icons... I missed them.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
iOS 6 is to William Shatner's "Star Trek" as iOS 7 is to JJ Abram's "Star Trek".

iOS 6 is to "Miami Vice" as iOS 7 is to "Breaking Bad"

iOS 6 is to Cindy Lauper as iOS 7 is to Adele.

iOS 6 is to translucent blue iMacs as iOS 7 is to aluminum unibody iMacs.

Embrace the change. It's good.

For every one of those examples you have given, I guarantee you will find someone who prefers the older one. It's a matter of personal preference really. So actually, those are really great analogies. They explain both sides of the 'argument'.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
...which means iOS 6 is way better.

Just downgraded my iPhone 4 back to iOS 6.1.3. The sluggishness was intorelable (and yes, I have installed iOS 7 from scratch without restoring backup, didn't help). With iOS 6, the iPhone feels so smooth and fast. What was that word? Snappy? And those beautiful, detailed icons... I missed them.

Well, enjoy smiling at those glassy, over detailed, distracting visual elements while the rest of us get to work. I guess it's "to each his own". For me, I prefer the minimal design that helps me focus on my work instead of admiring reflections and drop shadows.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I've tested iOS7 started back in June when it launched to the Devs, yes I'm a dev if anyone wants to know and also a graphic designer too. :)

1) Looks like cheese
There's only two ways to visually design a OS with a "Flat" look and unfortunately iOS 7 doesn't land on A or B.
A) Super flat non-gradient design must be a two colour scheme, such as Windows Phone 7 & 8. Unfortunately it's a waste of a high resolution screen and that explains how the Lumia 900 got away with their mid range specs during their launch.

B) Flat design with gradients that are very subtle with colour change, 3D F/X with minor shadowing and drop shadows, they must be constant across the board. Perfect example would be Skype, eBay, Google and Facebook mobile which had achieved this design aspect properly.

Honestly, iOS 7 looks like a page ripped out of Dora's colouring book, My Little Pony and a essentially a Teletubby phone. Its humanly impossible to have two neon colours that are in a gradient and sitting on a white background to look good. You can't even place bright yellow on white back ground.

An eye for design is something you're born with, enhanced when you take a design course and fully brought to life when you're in the working field

The Apple Store Icon is Apple's "best" ver so far, it's a "little" better than stock apps.

Attachments

• 946494_10151630727113908_1657028358_n.jpg
    946494_10151630727113908_1657028358_n.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0025.PNG
    IMG_0025.PNG
    245 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
i just bought my grandma a 5c and have been using it a little over a week while i'm visiting her in NY. I am so happy that my 4s is still on 6.01 because the software on the 5c is giving me painful *****. The screen doesn't work half the time, can't figure out how to use spotlight and so many other things. I'm pretty tech savvy but she isn't. I really hope she can use it when i leave to go back home. :(

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Sticking with iOS 6 until I have no choice but to update.

I don't have a problem with flat if it's done right but Apple just made a mess of it. Look at the Google Maps app, it's flat and simple but it still looks nice, Apple tried to go in a similar direction but they added pointless stuff like cartoon icons and colourful text. Now they have an OS which looks cheap. Personally, I would have just kept it the way it was on iOS 1-6 and kept making adjustments every year. That's what they've been doing since OS X was released and it's still great.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm still running iOS 6 on my iPhone 5. If Apple gets the battery life a bit better I might upgrade. Or maybe I'll hold out as long as possible until an app I need requires updating to sync correctly and that app requires iOS 7.

I have iOS 7 on my iPad 3. It's pretty. Keeping iOS 6 on my iPhone is like instant nostalgia though :D

karl184

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
California
iOS6 Users Headcount

Still on iOS 6 for 2 main reasons: jailbreak and iOS 7 animations gives me motion sickness symptoms. Yeah, the second reason affects a very small number of people and sadly I'm one of those.

Once both issues are addressed, I'll be ready to jump ship!

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
iOS 6 all the way, iOS 7 just hindered my work flow and my enjoyment of the
iPhone, downgraded today to iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 and staying there.

zBoost

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Still on 6.1.3 on my 4s. I took exact 5 min look at iOS 7 to decide I'm not upgrading yet. For now it seems like a good decision to me.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river

Just updated the last of the four iDevices to iOS 7 a couple nights ago.

iPhone 4 - yeah a little chuggy, but really not too bad
iPad 2 - seems fine
iPad 3 - using it right now pretty great
iPhone 5 - totally sweet

Some of the app icons do seem a touch underdeveloped (I too coming from a graphic design perspective), but overall I appreciate the changes.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'm still on iOS 6 for the time being.

I plan to update to iOS 7 in the future, but I want Apple to polish it up a bit first. iOS 6 is very smooth and unflappably stable.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
iPad 2 running iOS 6. I don't want my iPad 2 to be like an iPod Touch 4th Gen running iOS 6 (complete garbage). So looks like my iPad 2 saw it's last iOS update last year (don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing).

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I'm on iOS 6 and pinching myself for it every moment. Such an awful OS. But, jailbreak.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
iPad 2 running iOS 6. I don't want my iPad 2 to be like an iPod Touch 4th Gen running iOS 6 (complete garbage). So looks like my iPad 2 saw it's last iOS update last year (don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing).

It's neither good nor bad, necessarily; it's just a thing. :)

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Still on iOS 6 for 2 main reasons: jailbreak and iOS 7 animations gives me motion sickness symptoms. Yeah, the second reason affects a very small number of people and sadly I'm one of those.

Once both issues are addressed, I'll be ready to jump ship!

1. Tethered jailbreak for iPhone 4 is available.
2. General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Things that ppl don't realize, until it happens.

2) iOS 7 runs slow enough, jailbreaking it is gonna be catastrophic. Everything is written for and loaded on to MobileSubtrate. The more that's loaded on that extension, the slower it gets over time and you can forget about loading Winterboard for skinning and theme'ing a new look for iOS 7. I would just manually change all the icon by replacing all the png files.

1) Another factor of iOS 7's Motion Sickness is caused from the new color palettes gradient'ing to another each other that is sitting on a white background, accompanied by pencil thin lines and having a frosted transparent windows pop up from time to time.

Last edited:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
After 7.0.3 how do you guys feel about iOS 7? It's honestly not bad but wondering on some opinions as I have an iPhone 5 on 6.1.4.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
After 7.0.3 how do you guys feel about iOS 7? It's honestly not bad but wondering on some opinions as I have an iPhone 5 on 6.1.4.

Stay with iOS 6.1.4, don't even think about pulling that crazy trigger.

Even the iPad Air is ruined with iOS 7; all the stuttering, lag and screen flickering on some 3rd party app is just mind blogging. It runs exactly like the iPad 4, just like how the IP5 performs on iOS 7 and it's 1/4 of a sec faster.

You won't be able to see the screen stuttering, it's hard to record it and it's has to be seen in person. You'll get the idea from my recording about the speeds.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm still on 6.1.3 on my Mini and 4S. Have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. I tried 7.0 on release and that Friday morning, I downgraded back to 6.1.3 on both.

karl184

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
California
1. Tethered jailbreak for iPhone 4 is available.
2. General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion.

I have an iPhone 5. Even if a tethered jailbreak is released, I still won't update since it's just not practical, IMHO.

The reduce motion feature back in iOS 7.0.2 (when you wrote your post) and earlier only disabled Parallax effect and not the zooming effect when switching applications. The zooming effect is what gave some people motion sickness including myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.