iOS7 Today's view

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Tritons, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I really enjoy new today's view that shows weather, my next lecture times and how long does it take to get home. Problem is that for some reason it shows how long it takes me to drive home even though I have set "walking" in settings.
    Any ideas why is that?

Attached Files:

2. Lammercy macrumors regular

I can't offer much help but just wondering are you a professor or are you a student?

3. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I really disagree the new today's view. I think it was way more useful before. Actually it could become better, if they would just show us all-day events for today and tomorrow in the overview. The stupid "next 6 hours" view is kinda useless, when your day is over and you just need a quick overview of what's up ahead tomorrow. You can't even jump right into the calendar app from the overview. Instead there's this silly "tomorrow there's two all day events." C'mon Ive, at least write down what those events are!

Also A symbol for the weather forecast would be way better in terms of readability than this text! :(

4. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping with the purchase of Cue that "Today" will be alot more like Google Now, which is head and shoulders better at this point.

5. aruro415 macrumors newbie

Agree. Especially the weather bit. I was so ecstatic to know that you can access the notification centre from the lock screen, thought that it would make it even easier for me to check the weather in merely 2 second! One would pretty much prefer to know what the weather is from a quick glance instead of having to read a paragraph about the damn forecast! totally contradicting with the "minimalist" theme they're trying to impose here.

6. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just foreign student, studying in Scotland :)

But I guess I will just have to wait till Apple fix it.

Cheers.

7. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Yeah not really sure if you could adjust that to walking time, that would be really sweet if you could.
    At first I really did not like the look of the Today view, but now that I am starting to use it more and that now they have my drive times I really like the layout, I like how it shows you what is next on your calender, and you can even see your calender with the appointments on it.

8. digitalfailure macrumors regular

At least yours tells you how long the journey home will be, mine hasn't done it once yet !

9. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

same here

----------

agree but i prefer to have the calendar day view turned off not a fan of that grid showing

10. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Same here, had mine for over 3 weeks now and still no time estimates. looked at my tracking and it has registered many home and office times.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I like it also! [​IMG]

12. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

every time i see someone that is lucky enough to have traffic displaying in the NC all i can do is shake my head and wish i there is a way to get mine to show

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The whole point of the driving-number is that it changes based on traffic conditions throughout the day.

I think they assume that your walking time would never change because of traffic and thus there's no reason to keep showing you the same number every single day.

14. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, that actually make perfect sense. Thanks :D

15. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

What's wrong with the weather? It just says the weather conditions in a sentence. Not worth getting upset over.

OP, I have the same problem. I walk around campus and my phone tells me driving time. I don't think there is anything you can do to change that.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing is "wrong" with that, but it's certainly a worse user experience for most who used it in iOS 6 where it was much faster to tell the current conditions and temperature as well as to see the forecast for upcoming few days.

Similar thing applies to the calendar in that you mainly only see the events that will be happening in the next few hours and won't necessarily see something that might be later on today, compared to what you would get in iOS 6 where you could see the next 5 events even if they went into the next day. Again, somewhat worse experience, at least when it comes to that type of usability/usefulness.

17. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Unrelated question but I'm curious: do you guys keep all your different courses as separate colours/calendars in the Calendar app?

18. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I do.

19. sero323 macrumors regular

This is how iOS 6's notification center looked. I really miss it. There was a lot more info.

Attached Files:

20. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

But all that grey linen! :eek:

21. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I am with the OP and prefer this NC to the 6 version. I just wish we had the capability to add the graphical 10 day forecast to the displayed weather as well with another switch in the NC settings and possibly customize the appearance of the calendar time frames presented, but these are just wishes and doesn't make it any less useful for me.

22. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I'll stick with iOS 6 mostly for the Tap to Tweet and FB post buttons, which they didnt replace with..anything. Also, weather icons :D who cares about gray linen background? I'm jailbroken, mines a picture of a Porsche 911.

23. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

What was the lecture topic?

24. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

that's fugly

25. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Wow! I forgot just how old and tired that looked!