Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prashy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I am seeing huge battery drain on iphone6 > 10% as compared to ios8.
anybody else seeing the same?

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Strange thing is that I had no drain in the public betas (9.0 & 9.1) but it came now with the official release.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Haven't updated my 6+ yet ... currently iOS9 has an issue with my exchange server (work).
On my iPad Mini 3 (64GB LTE) I am seeing a approx 2x battery drain compared to iOS8.4.1. The percentages don't look any different but the drain rate is up.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I'm seeing a decreased battery life and also have some stutter (iPhone 6, update via iTunes and reset all settings).
5 hours usage and 31% left. Usually I was around 43% with this usage (+- couple %).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same as with pretty much any update, and especially a brand new x.0 update--some people will have battery issues (some of them might mostly think they have them), others won't see much of a difference one way or another, and others might see (or think they see) better performance. And even then it still differs for different people from day to day under different circumstances.

prashy21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Same as with pretty much any update, and especially a brand new x.0 update--some people will have battery issues (some of them might mostly think they have them), others won't see much of a difference one way or another, and others might see (or think they see) better performance. And even then it still differs for different people from day to day under different circumstances.

was not battery the big deal in this OS?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
was not battery the big deal in this OS?
Part of the iOS 9 release (or at least what has been advertised about it) are some battery improvements. But like I said, with any update there will be people with issues, those without them, and those with improvements (whether or not there is something specific about battery in the release itself).

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
look into your battery settings and tap the clock to see background activity. lots of apps haven't been updated and have poor compatibility with background app refresh and location

Facebook messenger eats my battery right now with its contact syncing and background app ON when the system settings has it set to OFF,

Reactions: Solver

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
just stop using background refresh period, globally, problem solved. its crap & all it does is fuel people to complain how ios battery sucks, doesnt help device speed either

Reactions: IHelpId10t5

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
just stop using background refresh period, globally, problem solved. its crap & all it does is fuel people to complain how ios battery sucks, doesnt help device speed either
Background refresh is only one part of it, some apps being able to run in the background indefinitely after they are used is another part of it (which is unrelated to background refresh).

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone noticed some apps not even showing up under usage? I watched over a hour of Netflix and it's not listed at all.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i dont want to reset all settings
that would mean resetting all my wifi passwords and memorized bluetooth devices etc
apple shouldnt advertise 1 hour extra battery when its bs

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
i dont want to reset all settings
that would mean resetting all my wifi passwords and memorized bluetooth devices etc
apple shouldnt advertise 1 hour extra battery when its bs

So you know the fix, but stubbornly refuse to do it... ok, well enjoy your bad battery life then.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
because silly me, i dont think things should require me to reset all settings before it works as advertised.
i followed all apple's instructions.
Computers are computers. Sometimes stuff happens or starts working worse for one reason or another and to deal with it some action needs to be taken (of course no action can be taken too and it can just continue as it is or perhaps get worse).

Reactions: Yun0

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
because silly me, i dont think things should require me to reset all settings before it works as advertised.
i followed all apple's instructions.
What you "think" is often different from reality. We've known either installing new, or doing a reset all settings helps get rid of problems since the very first iterations of iOS, so acting naive and pulling the "it should just work" card doesn't really cut it any more.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I continue to have amazing battery life, I think it's a little better than on iOS 8. I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 with no jailbreak.

I haven't used my phone too much today, right now I'm on 70% with 3 hours and 12 minutes of use time and 9 hours and 51 minutes of standby time.

This is with mixed use, some calls, Tweetbot, Safari (with Clarity installed), Notes, Mail (with 3 exchange accounts + iCloud) and Reeder with background refresh. I have Bluetooth, mobile data (LTE) and Wifi turned on all day long.

I did a complete clean install of iOS 9, I did not restored from a backup. I close apps I don't use frequently.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I continue to have amazing battery life, I think it's a little better than on iOS 8. I have a 16 GB iPhone 6 with no jailbreak.

I haven't used my phone too much today, right now I'm on 70% with 3 hours and 12 minutes of use time and 9 hours and 51 minutes of standby time.

This is with mixed use, some calls, Tweetbot, Safari (with Clarity installed), Notes, Mail (with 3 exchange accounts + iCloud) and Reeder with background refresh. I have Bluetooth, mobile data (LTE) and Wifi turned on all day long.

I did a complete clean install of iOS 9, I did not restored from a backup. I close apps I don't use frequently.

Do me a favour and open your Battery tab, and click the little clock icon. Then add up all the "screen on" time... it probably won't add to 3 hours 12 minutes, and you'll find you actually used your phone FAR less than you believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.