Ipad 1 and ipad 2 screen.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, Mar 14, 2011.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I just picked up the ipad 1 this weekend and already have the iphone 4. Is the ipad 2's screen pixely looking? It is the same resolution. If so, I'm glad I got a deep discount on an ipad 1 and await an ipad with retina display.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Other than the iPad 2's screen being thinner, they are the same screen.

I always choose to buy the product that is available now and not the product that I hope/think will be available in the future.

I know you are content with your first iPad and thats fine, but in technology if you are always going to be waiting for the next best thing so that you can own the latest and greatest, your going to be waiting a long time.

3. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else notice better anti-aliasing on the iPad 2? After looking at mine it seems like the pages in iBooks render better as well as icons even on the homescreen having smoother edges. I'm not saying it is a denser screen in terms of pixels, just the fact that the edges have been better smoothed out thanks to this new graphics card.

4. ozred macrumors 6502

+1

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

This is very sound advice! Much better to purchase what is available now or very soon, rather than waiting for <xxxx> to get <yyyy>.

6. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No killer feature for me, hence the iPad 1. This one will eventually be inherited by wife or kid.

7. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

+1

8. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

9. redman042 macrumors 68020

Can you post some comparison pics?

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

at a good discount iPad 1 is a fine choice

11. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Those that held off from the iPad 1 or are interested in getting an iPad now, I don't see any reason for them not to get an iPad 2.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've got both iPads and the screen is exactly the same.

13. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

On the flip side I didn't see any reason to get the iPad 2. I've got a MBP and MP for heavy computing and an IP4 for facetime and a PS3 for gaming.

I think that the best type of gaming on iOS devices are cut the rope, angry birds and fruit ninja. I can't see myself doing hard core gaming on the go.

There will be some interesting apps using the Facetime cameras but even so $300 in my pocket is my main motivation. I got a mint 64gb Ipad + 3g for $500.

14. tsekh macrumors member

If you notice any difference between your iPad 1 and iPad 2 screens, it's not because Apple is employing a better/worse screen, it's just that they are different. It has been reported that Apple has been using different panels with similar spec from more than 1 manufacturer on the iPad 1. The same goes for the iPad 2, as you can see the test here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4215/apple-ipad-2-benchmarked-dualcore-cortex-a9-powervr-sgx-543mp2/4

But the difference should be close enough that you shouldn't notice any difference in day to day use. Of course, when you put them side by side and use equipment to measure the difference, you can always find some minor differences even for the exact same panel model.

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

ifixit explained that the new iPad 2 panel is so much thinner than the original one. It was so thin and it costs apple a lot more money like 30 dollars more.

Apple maintained the price, yes. But, I cannot really imagine apple will be able to put retina display on iPad and maintain 499 dollars base price and make it so thin like iPad 2. They cannot make thicker, can't they?

We shall see... But, retina display is still very hard to believe with apple having all of this insurmountable lead in tablet market. Apple wants to maintain 499 dollars price, yes. But, they also want to maintain the good profits.

Apple will just put 4G (LTE) chip inside iPad 3 with A6 chip (Quad core and 1GB RAM) and they can call major leap forward. They will still get away with it.

I don't expect retina display until iPad 4 in 2013.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If screen is important to you, go for the iPad 1. For much less money, you'll have the same viewing experience. The iPad 2 just isn't worth it. Especially if you're thinking about upgrading.

17. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Can people take screenshots of something we could compare with another device? Say this page, and post it.

From ipad 1

[​IMG]

18. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

They both have the same exact screen resolution...I dont know why it's even debated or said that the iPad 2s screen is better or anything like that. Sounds like you're just trying to justify the "upgrade" more. It's the exact same. Get over it.

19. 548827 macrumors member

20. redman042 macrumors 68020

Cool off dude. The following ARE technically feasible on the exact same resolution screen:

* Apple has used the better processor to apply a more effective font smoothing algorithm (sub-pixel rendering).

* The new panel has better viewing angle, contrast or black levels.

Better viewing angle has been reported by Gizmodo recently. The panel IS different. The differences aren't huge, but they are there.

As for the font smoothing, I recall that one of the OS updates recently (I think 4.2) did make a small improvement on font smoothing on all devices. But it was pretty small. iPad 2 could have stepped this up a notch, and though it would not nearly approach retina display quality, it could help a little.

21. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Well, someone post an ipad2 screenshot, of the same page, and we can compare. Simples. That can then be the end of the discussion.

22. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I'm cool as a cucumber brah :cool:

They are the same.

/thread

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Black levels are better on the iPad versus the iPad2.

24. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

They are the same RESOLUTION, yes. The Display is not the one inside of an ipad 1, it shares size and resolution and thats where it ends. they are not the same display, sorry.

/thread

25. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I don't see how that would help since we are not looking at the actual screens, just a recording of what each pixel was supposed to be doing. Contrast, color, sub-pixelation... none of that will show in a screen shot. Only in a photo of the screen.