iPad 1 is a better value.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tigres, Mar 16, 2011.

1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

This iPad2 business makes for quite the research paper. Very interesting just to read these boards this week.
    Think for a moment from a financial aspect-

iPad 1 currently in stock and being sold for 25% off it's newest sibling, and 30% off on the refurb store.

iPad 2 is thinner and and faster with 2 cameras. iPad 2 has a smart cover that offers no protection to the unit itself, ok it's cool. Latest and greatest, absolutely. Offers way more than the original, not so much.

iPad 1 has the thickness of a first gen product which many would argue is more desirable to look at. iPad 2 is sleeker like the iPod touch look, and has a speaker which has been moved slightly to the back vs the bottom.

I personally went to the apple store to see this new iPad 2. I spent 3 minutes with it, up close and personal. Opened the NYtimes website to see how safari handled it. Checkerboards up, checkerboards down. Played around with things I do with our iPad 1 and did not notice one significant difference in speed or change at all.

Camera- no question- it's an addition. Iphone4 has a better one though, and most here have a smartphone with a better camera than this, correct?

So; I ask- what on earth is with this histeria over this new update?
    iPad1 seems like a complete steal next to this.

Is ipad2 better? Idk. Is ipad2 worth 150 more than iPad1 (refurb) I don't think it is at all.

This is not meant to be a bash against this wildly popular product launch. I simply question the craze over it when the iPad 1 is a moment away, cheaper, and every bit as good. It may not be equal, but I dare say that using one over the other is not the experience of using The iPhone 1 vs. The 3GS- now that was night and day.

Maybe most of this has to do with no stock. People want most what they cannot have.

I'm passing on the iPad 2. May pick up 2 more 1st gens.

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Yeah, but you won't have the latest and greatest. And thats lame.

3. FinalCutJay macrumors member

If you have a first gen ipad than no I don't think there is anything to fuss over and it isn't worth the upgrade.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Also there is very little competition at the moment. iPad 2's biggest rival is iPad 1. So Apple wont be releasing anything too revolutionary because the same people will buy it if its just a minor upgrade. Once some descent competition gets going like in the smart phone market - then I think we'll see something more exciting.

It's true, a lack of competition stops innovation. I don't doubt Apple aren't still developing products - I just don't think the consumer will see them until there is a device which they see worth competing with.

5. mantan macrumors 68000

It's the old adage bigger, better, faster, more. (though it's technically not bigger.)

A lot of people want the latest and greatest. There's nothing wrong with that.

But that doesn't mean the iPad 1 became a pile a dog poop in one day. It's still a VERY good device. And with the discount, it's really nice deal.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

Very true. If you want an example, look at the 3GS vs iphone 4 upgrade.

When the iPhone had a clear separation over other smartphones, we saw 'nice' upgrades like 3GS like faster internals and minor upgrades like a Compass and MMS capability. When the competition started closing rapidly, you saw Apple pull out the stops with major upgrades like the retina display, quality camera and HD video.

A lot of people around here like to bad mouth competing tablets. But the best thing for the market is someone nipping at the iPad's heels....

7. Jcoz macrumors 6502

1) 3 minutes, really?

2) You are taking a snapshot in time right now. Once apps are developed to take advantage of the new hardware, say 6 months from now, the difference could be drastically different.

3) An Ipad 1 owner skipping iPad 2 IMO, is a much different situation than suggesting people who don't own one to skip the iPad 2. Is that what you are suggesting?

8. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

You bring up some good food for thought.

Someday Apple will put out an iOS update that excludes the original iPad. Those chasing after the iPad 2 are getting a device that will stay relevant longer - whether they know it or not, or care.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3 minutes clearly wasn't enough.

I owned iPad one from launch till the day before announcement. The second is clearly superior, most noticeably on the Internet for basic browsing.

The first is great, but I've been asked by many people and I tell them all, wait for and pay extra for the second, it's worth it.

As to smart covers, plenty of leather apple knockoff cases coming in gen 1 style.

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I call myself an iPad Power User and heres the Reason I bought the iPad 2

Gyro (Games/Music Production Apps)
    A5 and Extra RAM (Games/Movie-Music Production Apps/Design Apps)
    iMOVIE (Edit my iPhone4 Videos on a Big Multi-touch Screen)

I don't use Safari. I use Maven Browser and haven't seen a checker board or a crash while using it.

11. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I agree that the iPad 1 is a better value for the dollar but the power is in the apps. The sad thing is that I don't ever think we saw the full potential of the iPad 1 just because the iPad 2 came out so soon. However, since everyone and there momma is coming out with a tablet this year, it was necessary for apple to stay ahead of the pack rather than just let the iPad 1 sit on the market and watch the competitors surpass it; even if it meant releasing a slightly updated product.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

It depends on what you do with it. There are already a few apps that run either significantly worse on the first iPad (e.g. Real Racing 2) or not at all (iMovie). Over time there will be more and more like this, just like many iPhone apps today don't run on the iPhone 1 or 3G anymore. If you don't plan to use any demanding apps and only use the iPad for web browsing etc., then the iPad 1 is of course perfectly fine.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

As far as value goes, it's definitely a better value than the 2.

14. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I agree and disagree. I agree the Ipad 1 is revolutionary product and design. Apple need for a new product on the market gives us the Ipad 2. If you dont use the camera nor care about size/wt or faster safari why upgrade?? I sold my first Ipad months ago after not using, but rationalized buying another when Ipad 2 released. I don't think its worth upgrading from Ipad 1 if owning, but worth the extra $150 if not current owner. If wanting to save money wont go wrong with Ipad 1 and w8 for version 3. I admit the cover on the Ipad 2 worth wt in gold, not having to slide to open every single time.

However, there must be something in the water, because impossible to find Ipad 2. Would be interesting to know how many upgraded or first time operators.

15. mantan macrumors 68000

A lot of it depends on the user. My wife loves her iPhone. But the apps she loves aren't very taxing like news sites, simple games like City Story, basic utility apps. She's perfectly happy with her 3GS and saw no reason to get the IP4.

The extra features of the Ipad 2 wouldn't mean anything to her. Sort of like computers. Enthusiasts want/need the latest/greatest, but many users have no need/desire for the extra horsepower.

If I was buying an iPad for her or my mom, I could get them they iPad 1 and they'd be thrilled.

16. Icaras, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

False. It offers protection. Frontal protection only...which is still protection.

Your 3 minute test based on one website does not agree with the test that was shown and reported here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/12/browser-comparison-between-original-ipad-and-ipad-2/

That's right, but I don't think a tablet is the intended device to be taking dedicated photos anyway.

That link I posted above proves browser speed improvements and this comparison test shows how much graphics have improved:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/12/ipad-2-gpu-benchmarked-with-impressive-gains/

Here's another one with the screenshot comparisons:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/11/impressions-and-screenshots-of-infinity-blade-on-ipad-2/

Judging so far from browsing improvements, graphic improvements, cameras and better design (light and weight improvements), I think it's worth it. It may not be to some though, depending on their usage of the iPad of course.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

So much wrong with your post here. A few thoughts....

1. The checkerboard in safari might have something to do with the fact your were on a wireless network being shared by 50 other people testing iPads, iPhones, iPods, and laptops. My iPad 2 still gets some checkerboards but it is far better the the iPad 1.

2. What is the usefulness of the smart cover a consideration here? You do know that there will be thousands of other cases soon.

3. So the iPad 2 camera isnt as good as the iPhone 4 camera, but it sure is better than the iPad 1 camera.

4. You really haven't seen how developers will take advantage of the stronger CPU yet. I expect we will see some awesome apps that will be better on the iPad 2, then on the iPad 1.

18. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

People will say anything to justify being cheap and convince themselves that they don't want the newer, faster, slimmer model.

19. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

I have to disagree on this point. By the time any new software really rolls out the Ipad 3 will be out. This means even faster and better. Average consumer going to be pressed money wise to keep up with that every year

20. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

So True, but that's my point. From a monetary standpoint I don't see the value.

Agreed.
    Exactly, a great deal in fact. I would suffice to say it's a steal.

I did not need more than 3 or four minutes to test my thoughts on it. I have the device and know what to do with it. Apps is a very good point, however I do not think that the iPad 1 will be left holding itself in the dust by only iPad2 apps.
    Finally, yes I do recommend that people at least entertain the iPad1 over the 2 for the value in the product and there minimal differences.

This may or may not be the case. I cannot see apple abandoning the iPad 1 in iOS until the 3rd gen.

3 minutes was very much enough. I have one, and know what to test to see if my results are enough to consider it- they were not. I know more cases will come out, I was just making reference to that cool case. BTW an employee let me see her iPad2 as well, when I was buying a battery; her iPad looked like holy hell. The cover was filthy, and the back was scratched terribly- I really took notice.

Look,
    The Smart cover is cool, and covers/protects the screen. Do yourself a favor, go to an Apple store and look at an employees iPad; come back and tell me how that protection is holding up. Also, I really appreciate the testing links; and I am certain that this new iPad2 is faster in many ways. However, owning one, and testing the new one blindly (without having mine next to it to compare) did not blow my mind. My point is Value, and the Value of the iPad 1 is clearly IMO better than the iPad 2.

You obviously do not see my point on monetary value. Maybe we should also conclude that some may like the value, original form factor, and build quality over the newer, faster, and slimmer model? It is possible, no?

21. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Nevermind the negligible performance improvements, but could the iPad1 actually have better build qualty than iPad2? I'm seeing all the complaints about corner dents, light bleed, portions of the bezel coming unglued, yellow displays, dead pixels, etc.

I don't remember these problems (at least so many and such a variety) with iPad1. With the attempt to make it lighter and thinner, I'm actually not surprised with the physical outer shell frailty compared to iPad1, which I think was more solid and had more heft. Something I prefer in a product.

22. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Implying being a smart consumer is being cheap and you are not a :apple: sheep

Also I rhyme like a boss

23. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

Does anyone have input on the build quality on the first gen being superior to the iPad 2? It appears to me that iPad 1 is more durable and uses less glue in the manufacturing process.

24. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

this would make good reading if we could find an unbiased researcher...

i wonder if i had not had version 1, would i think the same as you.

25. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Typically a computer that has twice the processing power, twice the ram, and about 7 to 9x the graphics performance costs much more than a 25% increase in price.

I think this makes the iPad 2 a good value. The other features only sweeten the deal.