iPad 1 owners: Do you plan to upgrade to iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nightfly13, Mar 3, 2011.


I own the original iPad and I plan to:

  1. Upgrade from iPad 1 to iPad 2

    67 vote(s)
  2. Keep my original iPad and hold out for iPad 3 (retina!!)

    78 vote(s)
  3. Keep the original iPad in my family and upgrade to iPad 2 for myself

    32 vote(s)
  4. Sell my iPad and switch to a competitor (Android etc.)

    3 vote(s)
  1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2008
    Ranchi, India
    I'm leaning toward upgrading, but I mainly found it weird that this poll isn't already up.

    Now that we know the details of the iPad 2, do you plan to upgrade/buy the iPad 2?
  2. djransom macrumors 68040


    May 14, 2008
    I sold my iPad 1 yesterday. Just waiting on the iPad 2 to drop so I can cop it next Friday.
  3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2008
    Ranchi, India
    Selling originals is less and less enticing now that you can buy the entry model refurb for $350.
  4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

    Surf Monkey

    Oct 3, 2010
    Portland, OR
  5. iNeutral macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2011
    Just going to wait to see what new features the iPad 3 has.

    For what I use the iPad for (browsing the web, email, etc) there is no reason for me to upgrade. Plus I just purchased the new MacBook Pro 13" i5 (and LOVE IT! :))

    The only way I was going to upgrade was if there was an improved display.
  6. nmills macrumors regular

    May 12, 2009
    I didn't vote, as I don't actually have an iPad. The one I have now belongs to my office. I'm buying the iPad 2, but if I had an original iPad, inwouldnt be upgrading. I'm generally an 'every other upgrade' upgraded!
  7. Cricketman macrumors regular

    Nov 30, 2008
    Will be selling my iPad 1 32 GB for 360$ and upgrading by paying the difference. Don't need that much space as I like to keep Music off the ipad and i delete the movies off it as soon as I finish watching it. Going to be a browse-only device now.

    Plus I was having a lot of wifi problems with my current one... hoping it is resolved in the Ipad 2.
  8. DarthMoops macrumors regular

    Aug 7, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    I think you needed an option for those who are just going to keep their iPad1.

    I'll keep my v1 until the battery only holds a charge for 20-30 minutes or so. Then consider a new one then whether it is v3 or v4 or v? or should I just replace the battery. I'm hoping that won't be for quite a while yet though, I've found the batteries in Apple products to be very long lasting.
  9. BrindawithanI macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2010
    location, location
    Just bought a 1st gen off eBay last night for a great price so that I can go with 3rd if it's awesome. I'm excited to have ANY right now!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. 53x12 macrumors 68000


    Feb 16, 2009
    Didn't we already have a similar thread and poll?
  11. Dr Kevorkian94, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

    Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

    Jun 9, 2009
    SI, NY
    I'm only going to get iPad 2 if I can sell my iPad. I love the white it's new, tech looking and sophisticated. But the black is classic and simple so this is my only decision after that. If and when I get that far at 2:30 I'll be speeding to my local apple store to maybe be in the last 75% of the line. If I'm lucky I'll get an iPad 2 and a t-shirt
  12. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

    Apr 10, 2010
    I'll probably wait to 3 and then consider upgrading. For the most part my iPad is fine. I'd like more ram for web browsing though and a future retina display might be a nice upgrade.
  13. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 16, 2010
    not enough of an upgrade to upgrade...

    but good for those who are buying first time.
  14. lPHONE macrumors 6502a


    Nov 17, 2009
    I was the one guy that voted for the 4th option... It was totally a mistake. :cool:
  15. slippery-pete macrumors 65816


    Jun 23, 2007
  16. zenio macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2011
    If my original wasn't so big, bulky & cumbersome I would have kept it. But it sold quickly and easily so I'm getting version 2.

    Apples 2nd gen products are always better anyway, even if only refined.
  17. bembol macrumors 65816


    Jul 29, 2006
    Holding off until they release a 10" version of iPhone 4. LOL
  18. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    Me too! I am thinking to jailbrake the iPad 1 and keeping iPad 2 pure.
  19. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    I am keeping iPad 1 and getting iPad 2. Once iPad 3 comes out, I am either gifting iPad 1 or sell it to gazelle.com, keeping iPad 2 and buying iPad 3.I am always going to have 2 generations.
  20. PDE macrumors 68020

    Nov 16, 2005
    I'm keeping my original ipad until Apple puts in a retina display. Looking at my girlfriend's iphone 4 and then going back to my ipad is painful. The speed increase would always be welcome, but the other new features just don't add up to enough difference to be worthwhile.

    It looks beautiful though and of course is a perfect 1st ipad for those who haven't used the first generation.
  21. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I'll keep my iPad 1. If I waited for the iPad 2, I wouldn't have been disappointed by apple. Having purchased it in January though I got 2.5 months of usage out of it that I would not have had I waited.

    I'm very happy with the iPad and see little reason to sell what I do have and buy a new one at this point. I'm not seeing the need for the dual core processor. The same goes with the 9x faster GPU. Yeah its great and fast but I'm not playing games that need that type of performance and the apps I do use won't really see too much of a benefit of the dual core. (Pages, numbers, goodreader, iBooks, noteshelf, evernote etc)
  22. mullman macrumors 6502


    Jan 13, 2004
    Sold iPad 64gb Wifi for $375 yesterday.
    It was ordered on released day and delivered Saturday April 3, 2010.

    Planning on ordering a 32gb WiFi+3G (AT&T) ASAP.
  23. adztaylor macrumors 68000

    Aug 20, 2009
    Preston, UK
    The iPad 2 does have some great features. But it isn't that much of a significant upgrade for me from my 1st gen iPad. I'm more than happy to keep it for another year.

    The speed and graphics increase are all good but I probably won't use the cameras and to be honest I actually prefer the design of the original iPad too.
  24. sanford macrumors 65816

    Jan 5, 2003
    Dallas, USA
    I can't make a case to myself for upgrading when I'll want the higher resolution display, which right now seems very likely to hit next year in the iPad 3. I don't want to fork over $700 this year AND next year. I might change my mind in the next few months if our teen daughter gets her internet hours down to something reasonable without our constant monitoring. Then I'd get an iPad 2, my daughter and my wife would share my original iPad -- my wife sort of wants one, but not enough to spend the money on it. That would make paying for a high-res iPad 3 more tolerable: I get the 3, my wife gets the iPad 2, our daughter becomes exclusive owner of the original iPad.

    Or work picks up and I have lots of spare cash and I get an iPad 2 just because it then becomes a trivial expense. As of now, though, no iPad 2.
  25. Sodner macrumors 68020


    Jan 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Getting me a 32 Gig iPad 2 and keeping my orginal iPad for my daughter.

    I'm making sure sure grows up an Apple fangirl. :D

Share This Page