IPad 1 pricing once IPad 2 comes out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by branjosef, Jan 9, 2011.

1. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Just wondering what your thoughts are on IPad 1 pricing once the IPad 2 comes out. I'm not referring to pricing by Apple (I assume they will stop selling it) but rather the market that will develop of individuals looking to sell their original IPads.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't know anything about how the pricing will be, but I would like to see Apple maybe keep the 16gb model around for another year and do the same thing as the iPhone 3GS and lower the entry price by $100 from whatever the next generation iPad will cost.

Some people are fine not owning the latest and greatest, and this will be a way to get them using the iPad (wile saying some money).

thats my thought.

3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I would love to get a good deal on an iPad Gen 1 once the iPad 2 comes out. I'm really looking to buy one with the unlimited data SIM.

4. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'd pick up 10 of them...

5. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

The price would have to go down at least $100.

6. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Apple will continue to sell the original iPad until their inventory is totally depleted.

7. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Good luck on this bud! I see a few on eBay (sim only) go for $300-400. I got lucky and bought a local craigslist iPad 3G 16Gb like new for $500 - the owner had it since before the cutoff date but never set it up. One hour on the phone with AT&T and I got it on the $30 unlimited plan. This might be your best bet -Craigslist

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sure, because they just stack them in warehouses and haven't figured out how to manage their inventory.

9. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I wonder if they'll go the iPhone route of still offering older models or the more usual method of sending the old models to the Refurb Store...

10. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

They should go for atleast $200 cheaper on ebay

11. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

What Apple should do is launch the iPad 2 models at higher prices like sony does with new products or recisions. Than us current owners would still be able to have full price value if we wanted to sell it.

12. Apollo33 macrumors regular

And why would you sell your current model to pay MORE for an iPad 2? This makes no sort of business sense. It'd just make the iPad 2 overpriced.

13. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

It makes sense. Look at all the portable game console revisions. They always cost more like the pspgo is still like $50 more than the standard psp or look at those ds lite revisions. Or look at sony vaio umpcs when they came out they cost like over two grand as conpared to much more powerful at the time standard sony laptops/netbookz and other similar products.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

They should price it higher so you can have a higher resale value on your current iPad? If you're going to just make things up you might as well say 'they should come with $100 bills'; it makes about as much sense.

If the iPad 2 is launched at a higher price, then the increased resale value of the first iPad just splits the difference - you'd be no further ahead anyway!

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

to a degree they do, they dont just make them one at a time. They order in lots of hundreds of thousands if not millions at a time. That takes time to make them. I can promise that they will in fact have first gens left over by the time second gen starts rolling out. The fact that you can still by the previous gens phone/pod from apple just as the new one comes out can attest to that. Apple is still selling iphone 3GS on their site right now.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Thats retarded and wont happen

17. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

There's no guarantee.

Some Apple products have been EOLed and not available in retail before the newer version was introduced.

Generally, Apple has a pretty slim supply chain.

-t

18. viperGTS macrumors 65816

damn i hope the iPad 1 stock doesnt run out anytime soon after ipad 2. i really want a first gen.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're kidding yourself if you think that a company like Apple doesn't track buying patterns and can't anticipate what it takes to minimize inventories as a product reaches end of life.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Correct. I don't understand why anyone would think Apple just tells the factory "make a bunch of these and we'll sell what we can." For those that don't understand modern supply chain management Apple likes to maintain a 4 week inventory. That gives them a good window to know exactly when to stop production of old product and when to announce new product and not get stuck w/ too much old product in the supply chain.

Now as to resale value of the iPad when iPad 2 comes out -- probably 60-70% of retail. The iPad2 price will not be lowered but the spec list improved. That will help maintain the value of the original iPad as the iPad2 will still be expensive. It's similar to how used iPods held value until they became relatively inexpensive.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't know if I'd rush out and pay extra for an old unlimited data iPad/sim. Now that it's apparent that Verizon and AT&T are going to go head to head with the same hardware--I'd be willing to bet we're going to see some major changes in data plan pricing coming up that are in favor of the consumer.

As to the original question, I think the price of the original iPad will be selling on craigslist for about $75-$150 less(depending on condition) than what is it selling for now. That's in addition to any price decrease that Apple may make to the new model. In the unlikely event that Apple *raises* the price of the iPad with the next model--its possible that people will still be able to sell the original iPad at the same price as before.

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Depends on what new features the iPad 2 brings to the table. Also if Apple keeps a first gen model on sale for a lower price.

I would say you could get one for possibly $200 off if you are a good negotiator on craigslist.

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I have no doubt they do, that in no way means they wont still be selling first gen ipads along with ipad2s right next to each other. At least till they run out or decide the demand isnt there anymore. All major companies that develop and sell products work with estimates and forecasts. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they over shoot and sometimes they under estimate. Apple like every other company has done all three. I think with the ipad, they know not to under estimate the potential numbers it will sell. So don kid yourself into thinking they will magically run out of first gen ipads the day ipad2 comes out.

Chances are there will be a price drop of the first gens that will entice buyers that might not want or cant pay full price for the current gen. Im pretty sure 3rd party vendors will be happy to take whats left off of Apples hands as well. Hell look at TJ Maxx, a non authorized dealer who took a $100 loss just to get people into the store.