iPad 1 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by evisa, Mar 18, 2011.

1. evisa macrumors member

Admittedly, I'm a gadget-obsessed female. I've been this way since I was a child and now I'm in my early 20s. I currently own a 4 yr old MBP, a 120gb iPod classic, a 4th gen iPod Touch that I could not WAIT to get bc I'm not eligible for an iPhone 4 upgrade until June (I've been using a Blackberry 9700), and now... I want an iPad.

This was all more than enough for me, until I came across the $100 discount on first gen iPads and on top of that, AmEx is having a 20% off promotion* good on all merchandise in their rewards mall - including the iPad 1+2. I have been wanting one since they were initially released but dissuaded myself and got the iPod Touch for my birthday instead bc of the compact/portability factor. Or so I told myself.

Bottom line is, I would really like your honest opinions and the pros and cons of purchasing this model (or not), esp after considering the products I already have. I am too tempted to think straight... Thanks.

*20% off pertains to points value; i.e. instead of points valued at 200:$1, it is 160:$1 until the end of the month.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Personally, I do not think a $100 discount is that great. You're getting more bang for your buck with iPad 2. If iPad 1 was 30-50% off, then I'd buy one too, you might find one on ebay that cheap, but I think you're better off with you Amex discount for iP2.

3. evisa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Just keep in mind that the Amex discount doesn't apply to the price, but how many points it takes to get the product. I only have about $110 worth of points in this situation after the conversion... Which still makes the iPad 2 over $400 after tax, and that's what makes me hesitant to purchase a luxury item in the first place.

4. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Buy the iPad 2 - just take my word for it - it's worth it

5. iJays macrumors regular

ebay is the place for super cheap iPad1 with all of them still under warranty.

6. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

Let me tell you my story. When the original iPad was announced I like many users here didn't think it'd be of great use to me. I have a 15" MPB for serious work, a Mac Mini hooked to the TV and an iPhone 4 for mobile surfing. Basically there isn't room for an iPad to fit into my digital life. Later on a few of my friends bought iPads so I had a chance to play with it. The first impression I had was "a giant iPod Touch." After that, there were a few instances I'd think to myself "for this task, it'd be great if I have an iPad." But that's about it. I kind of want to buy one, but the price was still a bit high for what I'll use it for.

After the iPad2 announcement it came the price drop of the original iPad. The next day, I bought it and have been using it for about two weeks. I love it. It's a great device for surfing the web on the sofa where a MPB would be too big and an iPhone 4 would be too tiny to look at. I owned the original MBA before and used to take it to work everyday but I gave it to my girlfriend last year and the iPad is a great substitute. I don't really need to use a full computer at work (I'm a college lecturer) so the iPad is ideal when I need to look up something real quick or to show students some reference materials.

I can't tell you whether you should buy the original iPad or not, or to get the iPad2. It really comes down to what you're planning to do with it. Don't expect it to be a full substitute of your MBP, and don't expect it to be your substitute of iPod Touch for music (it's not pocketable). If you know where you'll use it, and how you'll use it, then I'd say go ahead and buy the original iPad. IMO the iPad2 is nice but not worth the extra $100+, provided that you're not a millionaire.

7. gr8tfly, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've owned the iPad 1 since launch day, and loved using it. But, I am inexorably drawn to new technology. So, this morning I found my iPad 2 - writing this from it now.

The difference in speed is not only noticeable, but takes the delight of using an iPad to a whole different level. Everything is incredibly smooth - I especially notice the lack of lagging when typing. I think my thumb typing has sped up by - well, it's definitely faster. Opening apps is faster. Browsing feels closer to my MBP, than the iPad 1. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say the whole user experience feels that way. Very polished.

Obviously, those kind of performance observations must take into account what's within the limits of what can be expected of the A5 vs. MB/MBP hardware. You're not going to cut a HD 1080 video on an iPad (at least for several iterations down the line). That said, this is more than a "speed bump", as some have described it. Besides, it is a dual-core CPU/GPU with half a GB of RAM, fit in something 1/3" thick that can easily run for 10 hrs a charge! I know some are jaded, the I think that's just too cool for words.

The only negative I have is also shared with others: the camera. They are serviceable for their intended purpose, and some casual snapshots or to document something. Make sure you have adequate lighting, if possible.

The Smart Case isn't right up there in lights above Dr. Morbius*, but has it's use. I just have to figure out what it is. When folded back, the edge or end cap of the hinge assy feels sharp - there's no hint of rounding the edges. I tend to hold the iPad by the lower corners, where the hinge ends, and those edges get old fast. I either have to move my hand up to where the leather runs along the hinge or simply remove it. Most of the time, especially when reading, I have the iPad propped up against a small pillow on my lap - then, the cover hinge doesn't matter. Under these circumstances, the Smart Cover can gloat as I deftly flop it across the soon to be asleep iPad.

Bottom line (if you haven't already guessed) is GET one. You will get a lot of enjoyment out if it, and have something that's more future-proof than the first-gen.

*see Forbidden Planet. No, really, see it, if you haven't.

8. T-bag Guest

You sound like me (or all of us at MR) when it comes to gadgets ;). I have never owned an iPad before, but I was in the same position as you yesterday. First of all, in my country we wont see many iPad 2's in a couple of months. Our release date is 25.03, and the demand is enormous. If I'd wait for the 2, I'd have to wait for a very long time since I'm not on the pre-order lists.

With that being said I still think the iPad 1 is a better deal, depending on what you use it for. The 1 is still more than fast enough for surfing, reading pdf's and watching video files. If you buy an iPad for gaming I'd go with the 2. And if you do keynotes a lot I'd consider it.

Since the 2 didn't get a higher resolution screen, I pulled the trigger on a cheap 1 yesterday, and can't wait to get it. I'll give it away to my girlfriend when retina is out (which is more important to me). The weight and the extra ram might be enough for some to upgrade today, but I find the rest of the new stuff just to be bonuses.

Waiting (a long time) and paying a lot extra made my decision easy. I know I wont regret it. :)

Reflect your needs in what you get, and you will know which one to buy. Good luck deciding!

9. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

iPad 1 is a fine. Its smooth and its not that heavy.

Yes the iPad 2 is a little faster. BUt depending on what you use it for you will hardly ever notice.

If you can snag an 1 for a decent price..go for it.

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Ditto what T-bag said. I got my iPad 1 the same day iPad 2 was released. I could have returned it, as it was a gift, I wasn't really sure what I was going to use it for at first. Once I opened it I realized what a perfect gift it was for me. I can browse the web, read my kindle books, watch Netflix movies, and play an occasional game on it. Its portable, easy to move from room to room with, and it serves my needs well.

I'm not going to try to sell you on version 1, you may in fact get more use out of version 2 than I would. So like T-bag said..evaluate your needs and go from there. My iPad 1 does everything I need it for. Your uses might vary drastically from my own and it could be that a version 2 would better suit your needs. Whichever model you choose, enjoy it. :)

11. JorgeG macrumors newbie

12. aldo82 macrumors regular

It has to come down to how much you can justify spending. I am all for new technology and buy a new iphone every year. I didn't get the ipad 1 originally and had every intention to get the ipad 2 but when I saw the price drop, I couldn't resist the original. The base model is nearly 25% cheaper than the ipad 2 and that may be a significant difference to some. I don't regret getting the original at all and have been enjoying it for the last two weeks. Yes, its re sale value will be less when it comes to moving on (to ipad 3 for example) but I normally sell cheap to family or friends anyway so never make maximum back and the fact that I saved so mcuh initally offsets that. The original ipad is still a decent device

13. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Don't lynch me guys, but I have an iPad 1 and have since last september. I was fully ready to buy an iPad 2 and then give my wife the iPad 1 which she still doesn't realize she would love as a kitchen device.

Well, a few days ago, I went up to best buy to check out the new iPad. It felt "cheaper" tome for some reason. Like it wasn't made as sturdy as the previous model. "more disposable" is how it seemed to me.

Couple that with the fact that with 4.3, any lag I previously noticed while surfing intensive websites is gone, and you'll see why I decided to wait for the 3 to upgrade myself.

Don't shoot me but this was my experience, and I still love my iPad 1 whichhas basically replaced my laptop in 80% of my daily life. Good luck OP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Apple sold 15 million iPads....a great device and you are correct in what you are saying

15. sers macrumors regular

iPad 2 isn't out yet here in Canada, and I intend to have a look at it when it gets here. But I upgraded to 4.3 on my iPad 1 and noticed a speed improvement in some applications. It has definitely made my iPad nicer to use.

I still find my iPad 1 immensely useful. Still surfs the web and handles emails, movies and photos smoothly and accurately. Battery life is still outstanding. I don't need the camera or facetime as I have an iP4 for that. I'm sure the new one is very nice, but I'll reserve judgement on that when it comes out here.

16. btownguy macrumors 6502

I held off on the iPad 1. I wanted it, but I felt like the screen resolution was the #1 thing lacking in the device. I'm a big believer in the form factor, but I really need a higher resolution. Well, the $100 discount suckered me in. I currently have no need for the cameras so I'm fine with the iPad 1. I'll second what some others have said in that the iPad 1 feels sturdier than the iPad 2.

Now, whenever the iPad gets a retina-like display (be it iPad 3 or iPad 4), I'll be the first one in line to pay retail. For now, a $100 off iPad 1 is plenty to hold me over. If you can get one cheaper on CraigsList or eBay, more power to you. You won't be disappointed.

17. freeman727 macrumors 6502

If I were to decide between a brand new iPad 1 or 2, then I'd get the 2. But if you can find a mint and recently bought ipad 1 off of Craigslist, I'd go for that. You can get great deals. I bought a like new ipad 1 bought on 11/10/10 with 64gb + 3g for $500. I think you may even be able to do even better depending where you live. In NYC, you could probable haggle the price closer to $400.

However if bleeding edge speed and FaceTime is important then get the 2. The iPad for me is more a toy and secondary device. Perhaps the iPad 3 with new iOS can replace the MBP that I'm typing this message on.

As I always say with technology, different strokes for different folks!

18. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Perfectly put into words my feelings and experience. It's like the quality build between the first generation iPhone and the 3G. Yes, I get the checkerboard pattern often while surfing the net but for all intent and purposes- email, web and watching iTunes TV and movies, it just works well and there simply isn't enough to make selling my iPad (too cheaply) and purchasing the iPad 2.

Now, with that said, if I didn't already own an iPad and was definitely looking to purchase one I would hold out for the newest and not purchase yesterday's technology.

19. Bartman01 macrumors regular

If you are using AMEX points - really do the math first. It is almost always a MUCH better deal to trade the points for store gift cards and then use the store gift card to purchase something than to buy it directly from their 'points store'. See how many points that iPad 1 will cost you, then see how many points it would take to get Best Buy gift certificates for the amount of the equivalent iPad 2. I would bet you could get the iPad 2 from Best Buy using gift cards for less. Granted you will need to wait a few weeks for the supply issues to sort out before you can just walk in and buy one, but you've lived this long with out one another month or two wont matter.

Edit: Not 100% sure AMEX does Best Buy, but see if they have gift cards to a store that will eventually carry the iPad 2.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If you get a great discount for the iPad 1, getting it would be fantastic.

If there is not really a BIG difference price wise (I don't think $100 is THAT much), I would get the iPad 2

Some people on EBay, are selling the iPad 1 for a good bit which IMO makes it worthwhile to just get the iPad 2 and pay a little more

21. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Craigslist is a better option. There you are only competing locally, on EBay you are competing against the world. I got mine from Craigslist for a great deal, almost 1/2 of the comparable iPad 2.

22. evisa thread starter macrumors member

This is a great idea I definitely had not thought about. I'll have to check it out to see what my options are.

23. evisa thread starter macrumors member

So am I right to say that the general consensus right now is to get an iPad, whether it is gen 1 or 2? I am just a bit hesitant to buy it outright bc of my current ownership of the newest iPod Touch. It's also one reason why buying the iPad 2 is almost out of the question unless I get a good deal on it, bc I don't truly NEED it. Oh, the dilemmas we face (sarcasm).

24. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Get a refurb iPad1. You'll be more than pleased, and the price is 150 less than the 2.

25. the_fellowship macrumors regular

+1