iPad 1 vs. iPad 2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brando123b, Apr 6, 2011.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

Do you think it was worth upgrading?

There is a thread from a month back where everyone is ranting and raving abuot how amazing the 2 is, but that was during the honeymoon phase.

If some of the newness has worn off and you're now used to the weight change etc, do you regret the $500+ charge on your credit or debit card statement? Still worth it?

Just curious. I held the new one at the Apple store, it's nice, but it seems like a progression, not a revolution.

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

Duh...

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Upgrading to the iPad 2 has been so worth it for me, I don't want to think about going back to the original iPad.

4. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

Profound.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

Were you honestly hoping for a 'revolution' when the first gen iPad isn't even 11 months old?

6. arr0gant macrumors newbie

Just look at how much better it looks when I type iPad 2™ compared to just simply iPad™.

Also, think about how much better you're going to feel about yourself knowing you have the iPad 2, especially when people you don't know at Starbucks™ come up to you and say, "hey, is that the all new iPad 2™? "

I don't know about you but I sure don't wanna let Apple™ down by not loving their latest and greatest. BTW, I love my iPad 2™ :)

7. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

iPad 1 owners had that when the iPad was just out! I got mine a day early as well :D All those people sat in lines and I had mine a day early! :D Could have went and waved it at them all but I'd probably get mugged for it lol

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Updates are always progressions. The only way for and update to be a revolution is for it to change so much that its no longer recognizable as the same product. Even the iPhone 4 was a progression.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I don't think for the most part its worth upgrading the iPad 1 for the 2. Especially given some of the issues being bantered around here, light bleed, wifi dropping, etc.

10. PBz macrumors 6502a

All I know is a $529 64GB 3G iPad 1 (at&t online - $629 in-store) is more and more tempting every day.

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I haven't had any of those issues and I'd say a majority of people haven't, even so they can get a replacement for light bleeding and software or firmware updates for WiFi.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

How many threads exactly like this are we going to get? Search, people. Search.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

I think that the people who upgraded will tell you its worth it and the speed difference is huge. On the other side you have the iPad 1 owners who tried iPad 2 in a store/at a friend/saw some youtube comparison/complaints on forums, who will tell you the difference is small and not worth it.

Oh and honestly i think an ipad 1 vs ipad 2 thread should be stickied, with a really good original post objectively writen with differences between the two(with arguments depending on the usage and person situation cons and pros,....) and some links to videos with comparison.

15. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

That is exactly what is going on. Most people that say that the update isn't worth it, want to convince themselves that this is the case. Once you get to use an iPad 2 for a couple of hours, you will notice the speed difference, the multitasking speed improvements and the new design, which makes the ipad much better to hold for many hours. This is a much better product than the first generation of iPads and the only thing that people should be considering is, if they really want to spend money now and buy one.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Then lets think that you are buying an iPad for the first time. You can get a first generation for $400 or the iPad 2 for $500. I'd say the another $100 is worth it but since we are asking people who already have an iPad 1 it could be different. They could sell theirs for what it is worth and then use that money toward an iPad 2, I'd say that is most people did that then it would be worth it for the.

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

SEARCH FUNCTION

Use it.

Good god

18. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

I asked a genius at the apple bar today the same question (iPad1 vs iPad2 worth it or not). He said since he didn't get the first one he couldn't wait to get the new iPad2 (obviously your not going to the get the first since the new one is out). Since I have the original he said, if you don't care about the camera(s) and don't play a lot of games then its not worth it. Since I only use my iPad for showing clients pictures and browsing my email and the net I'm just going to wait until they upgrade the screen. The iPad2 sure looks sexy though, but that's what I thought about the first. :)

19. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

20. Smoothness macrumors regular

this is something me and my mother discuss everyday. i just got the ipad2 and she is tryna figure out whether to get the ipad since its cheaper and relatively the same or just get the ipad2.

21. katyoshi macrumors 6502

It's an evolution. Not revolution. The iPad one may have been considered a revolution. I'd say, if you don't have an iPad, get the iPad 2. If you already have the iPad 1, stick with it if you'd like. The only reason I switched to iPad 2 is because I wanted 3G and wanted the HSUPA for work. Time is money.;)

22. bigstar81 macrumors newbie

I have had both ipad1 and ipad2 in my hands the past few week. I returned the ipad2 due to backlight bleed and am perfectly fine to just go with the ipad1 at this time. Perfect screen and it meets my needs. I also like the bulk of the ipad1 and the bezel. The ipad2 is a tad faster I noticed.

23. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yes, and those with iPad 1 will say the exact opposite. There is no definitive answer because it's pretty clear that it's a far too subjective question. For some it will make a difference, to others, not so much.

It should also be pointed out that most of the hands-on reviews I've read online have agreed that original iPad owners don't need to upgrade unless they have specific needs that could benefit from the improved hardware.

24. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

For those that own BOTH:

What do you think is a better deal...

iPad 1 refurb - $349

- or -

iPad 2 new - $499

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

:)

25. slicecom macrumors 68020

I upgraded, and I can honestly say it's not worth it. I'd take my iPad 1 with it's perfect display back over the multiple iPad 2's I've had with faulty displays. There's really not much of a noticable difference between the two.