Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasimp

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
So, I was thinking it may be a digitizer issue or possibly some dead pixels. I have no clue about these things and in all the years of having iPads, iPhones, etc., never had this issue. With that being said, my year warranty is up June 12th. Event better, closest Apple Store to me is about 45 minutes away, so.... I dont want to waste my time if the community knows what this might be and if bringing it in would help me get a new replacement. Note, never any misuse, drops, etc. Always had a glass screen protector and cover on it as well. I uploaded one image pointing to the white circle and one with nothing for better viewing.

Let me add, I took the glass screen protector off, cleaned the screen, and also tried looking with and without true tone on as well as night shift.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Its because of the battery issue, battery mildly bulging and its compressing the back side to the LDC panel and that area gets brighter. its a common issue almost iPad pro's now. You can visit any serice person and they can explain more.

krolli53

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
So Apple support quoted me 2 years had I bought directly from them - they would have swapped it out right there and then. Because I bought from a 3rd party store - Currys - I had to go back to them so Apple prepared this work sheet detailing the issue and the result of their diagnostic tests.
Where I am in the UK, I am entitled to a free replacement for up to 5 years which has to be sought from the seller of the product:

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Just to clarify, EU law dictates the consumer should receive a minimum of a 2 year warranty but legislation in UK provides up to 5 years in Scotland and 6 in the rest of the UK. It is up to the consumer to prove the item was defective though which is where the Apple report comes into play.

I wanted to give you an update here. Apple swapped the whole iPad 2 days before the end of warranty (2years) without any questions. I did an online request for repair. They sent a return package with UPS the next day and two days later I got my new iPad.

Reactions: simonmet and Donka

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Its because of the battery issue, battery mildly bulging and its compressing the back side to the LDC panel and that area gets brighter. its a common issue almost iPad pro's now. You can visit any serice person and they can explain more.

That makes the most sense of anything I’ve on this issue, thanks. I hope mine doesn’t develop it because I bought it used and it might’ve already been replaced. It also doesn’t have extended warranty and may be past 2 years at this point even if it did. Sounds like it’s inevitable though. All good for now at least.

tdehnke

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2019
I’m having this issue with my 10.5 too. Out of warranty period of course.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Absolutely not "impact damage" for mine.
[doublepost=1541601739][/doublepost]

Maybe it does exist right out of the box for some, but on mine I'm pretty sure it was a gradual thing over the course of 4-6 months. And the replacement I received absolutely did not have this issue, but does now.
I suspect it's a heat issue from CPU, and it changed LCD display chemistry.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I have it. I’ve always had it (purchased first week 10.5” pro was in stores) I hardly notice it. Usually only when reading here. I don’t care. I focus on how nice the screen is on the pros. You should too.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013

But my battery is not bulging. But it does deplete rapidly. The battery life on mine is actually quite pathetic, but I make do. But no bulging or swelling.

ldrake2578

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
But my battery is not bulging. But it does deplete rapidly. The battery life on mine is actually quite pathetic, but I make do. But no bulging or swelling.
To the best of my understanding — if I am comprehending the situation correctly and referencing the same “whitish gray” spot as is everyone else — it is a “pointer” that follows the user around when (s)he uses certain apps. I have also noted the color of this spot changes from a grayish-white to a mid-gray at times. I am not sure why, but this is just an advertisement. Anyhow, I have included two pictures. (I am not sure if this will be use to the individual person to whom I am responding, but as I was reading the entire thread, it may be useful to others.)

8EA150BD-11C2-4ACB-9B82-0249BF90440E.jpeg

When this pointer is not in use, it rests as a small circular form in the upper left corner of the iPad. When the iPad is the vertical, it will appear in the upper left side. In the horizontal, it will slowly “float” to the upper-left corner. However, if one is using Pages, Numbers, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Safari, Google, and so forth, the “dot” will transform into a cursor or a pointer within said applications.

9BF61692-02CB-42E9-9430-CA0692BD86EE.png

By entering the Accessability options within Settings, it is possible to change the size of the outer-gray band around this circle to make it easier for persons to locate and move this pointer/circle around. There are more features to mess with, but you can increase the size of the circle around the gray “pointer” / “dot” here:

FEB38753-A34B-4B6E-9585-FBF650A56614.png

However, maybe this is just my iPad OR I am not able to locate what persons on this thread are speaking of. If this is NOT helpful, please accept my apologies. On the contrary, if this is helpful, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Please have a wonderful day!!

—LJD

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I have the same white spot two inches above the home button on my 10.5” iPad Pro. Apple replaced my iPad under warranty the first time it happened. The new one was about 14 months old when a white spot, about the size of a fingerprint, appeared in exactly the same place. Warranty is expired now. Sigh.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I have the same white spot two inches above the home button on my 10.5” iPad Pro. Apple replaced my iPad under warranty the first time it happened. The new one was about 14 months old when a white spot, about the size of a fingerprint, appeared in exactly the same place. Warranty is expired now. Sigh.
How far out? I had a iPad replaced out of warranty in a Apple store, might be worth checking if you can.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
How far out? I had a iPad replaced out of warranty in a Apple store, might be worth checking if you can.
Thanks for the suggestion but I purchased it in June, 2017 so it's well outside the warranty now. I'm living with it. It's really not that serious but obvious Apple has a defect on their hands that affects that model.

Dijith

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
My 12.9 ’’ iPad Pro has the mentioned problem ...initially a small whitish spot and it is spreading and more pronounced in white background....

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
My 3rd generation 10.5" iPad Air now has the same light spot in the exact same location as my 10.5" iPad Pro. It's an inherent problem Apple has not fixed. As I think someone already said, there must be a hot component behind the screen there and the heat eventually ruins the display. Bummer to hear it's also happening on your 12.9" model.

Wolflmg

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
So, I was thinking it may be a digitizer issue or possibly some dead pixels. I have no clue about these things and in all the years of having iPads, iPhones, etc., never had this issue. With that being said, my year warranty is up June 12th. Event better, closest Apple Store to me is about 45 minutes away, so.... I dont want to waste my time if the community knows what this might be and if bringing it in would help me get a new replacement. Note, never any misuse, drops, etc. Always had a glass screen protector and cover on it as well. I uploaded one image pointing to the white circle and one with nothing for better viewing.

Let me add, I took the glass screen protector off, cleaned the screen, and also tried looking with and without true tone on as well as night shift.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up everyone!
That happened with mine, luckily i was still under warranty and I was able to get a replacement from the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.