Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
apart from the new iPad being amazing and the new 120hz is insane my iPad 10.5 has yellow tint problem and warmer even with true tone off like every apple product I have and it’s brighter on left side compared to right I’m so sick of every amazing apple device having these issues I’ll try upload pics to show you, lcd is such bad news for screens

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
apart from the new iPad being amazing and the new 120hz is insane my iPad 10.5 has yellow tint problem and warmer even with true tone off like every apple product I have and it’s brighter on left side compared to right I’m so sick of every amazing apple device having these issues I’ll try upload pics to show you, lcd is such bad news for screens
Here we go again...:eek::p:rolleyes: but yah that sucks if they have display issues

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I will have to wait to see pics. My 10.5 with true tone off is very good, not seeing what has been described in the op. With it on it is very uniform, went to a blank Notes screen to check it out.

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
What do you mean LCD is not even? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the iPad screens are LED, or am I misunderstanding something here?
iPad screens are LED-backlit LCD displays. This is true for all consumer displays being advertised with "LED" (as opposed to the older CCFL backlights). There are no consumer products with actual LED displays (i.e., with individual LEDs for each pixel instead of LCD). It is usually the LED backlight that is uneven on LCD displays.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Weird. My 9.7” Pro has a perfect screen. looking at a blank white screen I see no difference in brightness or temperature, TrueTone works great too. Did I get lucky or is this a new problem with the 10.5?

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
I saw this video which caught my attention. Wonder if this is what the OP is talking about. Interested in the 10.5 but I hope this is a non-issue.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I saw this video which caught my attention. Wonder if this is what the OP is talking about. Interested in the 10.5 but I hope this is a non-issue.
I love how everyone is showing off ProMotion on the new iPad pro even though NO ONE with a 60HZ screen (almost everyone) will ever be able to see the difference. Portrait video too, what a winner.

Reactions: Broadus and Dave-Z

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Is this an actual issue, and how widespread is this? My delivery is scheduled for today. Should I refuse?

Yellow tint (uniform or otherwise), blacklight bleed, dead/stuck pixels, pink/green IPS tint, etc. are all possible and have been on the iPad (and practically every other LCD/IPS display) since it's inception.

Best bet is to take delivery, inspect screen, replace if dissatisfied.

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Are the "yellowgate" screen comparisons with Truetone turned off or on?

Truetone has a significant effect on screen color and yellowing. Only binary comparisons can occur with it off.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My 10.5 Pro has a nice white even screen. With true tone turned off on both devices my iPad Pro 9.7 has more of a bluish white screen, but the 10.5 is white and not yellow at all. All the Apple devices that I own have slightly different tints, but none are yellow and I'm one of those who sees the yellow.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Unfortunately every Apple screen is plagued with this problem as lcd is not even

I have owned four iPads and have only noticed uneven brightness on one. If "every" one of your Apple devices has had this problem then you are unlucky indeed.

In my case the screen was slightly darker at the top than the bottom so as you read down the screen your eyes would adapt to the increased brightness. When you went back up to the top to read the next page it looked positively dim. Drove me crazy.

A.

Addendum: Received new 12.9, no apparent color/brightness issues.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Yes, these threads were sure to pop up.

If the screen has problems, you should be taking it back. Not starting threads about it.

Reactions: Orangeman13

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
People shouldn't make such bold lies. Ive never had a yellow screen yet any Apple product. So I don't think every "Apple screen is plagued" with it.
I gotta be lucky also. I've owned every iPhone except the Cs, 2 MacBook Pros, 1 original polycarbonate MacBook, 5 iPads including 10.5 and 12.9 Pros, 2 Apple watches 1&2 gen, and a 2013 iMac.

I've never seen the yellow screens and don't even know anyone here in Miami that has ever complained about it if they did have it.

Lucky man, I gotta be really lucky.
[doublepost=1497375811][/doublepost]
The screens inherently change as you use them too. Sometimes it's the screens burning out materials.
I've never had a yellow screen, but please source the "burning out materials".

People finally got over the "drying glue" phenomenon.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
It's not only about lucky. It's about tolerance and being physically able to see the issue.

There are people with trained/sensitive vision, there are people who see a screen as only a thing with moving images, there are physically perfect displays, there are bad displays.

Just need to match those out. For some it's way easier, for others not so much. And that is what makes a "issue free screen".

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I love how everyone is showing off ProMotion on the new iPad pro even though NO ONE with a 60HZ screen (almost everyone) will ever be able to see the difference. Portrait video too, what a winner.
Does 120hz vs. 60hz help with led/lcd ghosting?
[doublepost=1497376259][/doublepost]
It's not only about lucky. It's about tolerance and being physically able to see the issue.

There are people with trained/sensitive vision, there are people who see a screen as only a thing with moving images, there are physically perfect displays, there are bad displays.

Just need to match those out. For some it's way easier, for others not so much. And that is what makes a "issue free screen".
I must be lucky my eyes view the screen as pretty damn amazing and defect free then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.