iPad 10.5 Yellow tint/uneven brightness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dan9700, Jun 13, 2017.

1. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

dan9700

apart from the new iPad being amazing and the new 120hz is insane my iPad 10.5 has yellow tint problem and warmer even with true tone off like every apple product I have and it’s brighter on left side compared to right I’m so sick of every amazing apple device having these issues I’ll try upload pics to show you, lcd is such bad news for screens

2. gobikerider macrumors 65816

gobikerider

Here we go again...:eek::p:rolleyes: but yah that sucks if they have display issues

3. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan9700

Unfortunately every Apple screen is plagued with this problem as lcd is not even

4. Mr. Bean macrumors member

Mr. Bean

What do you mean LCD is not even? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the iPad screens are LED, or am I misunderstanding something here?

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I will have to wait to see pics. My 10.5 with true tone off is very good, not seeing what has been described in the op. With it on it is very uniform, went to a blank Notes screen to check it out.

6. klasma macrumors newbie

klasma

iPad screens are LED-backlit LCD displays. This is true for all consumer displays being advertised with "LED" (as opposed to the older CCFL backlights). There are no consumer products with actual LED displays (i.e., with individual LEDs for each pixel instead of LCD). It is usually the LED backlight that is uneven on LCD displays.

7. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Yellowgate.. Apple is doomed.... I notice that their newer devices have warmer screens. iPhone 7 Plus vs 6s Plus was alot warmer. Same with the iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2.

8. McPaul macrumors member

Is this an actual issue, and how widespread is this? My delivery is scheduled for today. Should I refuse?

9. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Same as the majority of iPads. As long as there are no dead pixels and dust under the screen I wouldn’t bother playing the screen lottery as it’s quite rare to get a ‘perfect’ screen.

10. Tapiture macrumors 6502

Weird. My 9.7” Pro has a perfect screen. looking at a blank white screen I see no difference in brightness or temperature, TrueTone works great too. Did I get lucky or is this a new problem with the 10.5?

11. callesw macrumors newbie

I saw this video which caught my attention. Wonder if this is what the OP is talking about. Interested in the 10.5 but I hope this is a non-issue.

12. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

People shouldn't make such bold lies. Ive never had a yellow screen yet any Apple product. So I don't think every "Apple screen is plagued" with it.

13. sneak3 macrumors 6502

It's amazing how people are still confusing warm tint VS tint UNIFORMITY. You DO NOT want your screen to have different colors in different places. THAT is a defect.

14. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

I love how everyone is showing off ProMotion on the new iPad pro even though NO ONE with a 60HZ screen (almost everyone) will ever be able to see the difference. Portrait video too, what a winner.

15. klover macrumors 6502a

Yellow tint (uniform or otherwise), blacklight bleed, dead/stuck pixels, pink/green IPS tint, etc. are all possible and have been on the iPad (and practically every other LCD/IPS display) since it's inception.

Best bet is to take delivery, inspect screen, replace if dissatisfied.

16. kognos macrumors member

Are the "yellowgate" screen comparisons with Truetone turned off or on?

Truetone has a significant effect on screen color and yellowing. Only binary comparisons can occur with it off.

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

My 10.5 Pro has a nice white even screen. With true tone turned off on both devices my iPad Pro 9.7 has more of a bluish white screen, but the 10.5 is white and not yellow at all. All the Apple devices that I own have slightly different tints, but none are yellow and I'm one of those who sees the yellow.

18. Alrescha, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have owned four iPads and have only noticed uneven brightness on one. If "every" one of your Apple devices has had this problem then you are unlucky indeed.

In my case the screen was slightly darker at the top than the bottom so as you read down the screen your eyes would adapt to the increased brightness. When you went back up to the top to read the next page it looked positively dim. Drove me crazy.

A.

Addendum: Received new 12.9, no apparent color/brightness issues.

19. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

The screens inherently change as you use them too. Sometimes it's the screens burning out materials.

20. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Absolutely run with the herd

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yes, these threads were sure to pop up.

If the screen has problems, you should be taking it back. Not starting threads about it.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I gotta be lucky also. I've owned every iPhone except the Cs, 2 MacBook Pros, 1 original polycarbonate MacBook, 5 iPads including 10.5 and 12.9 Pros, 2 Apple watches 1&2 gen, and a 2013 iMac.

I've never seen the yellow screens and don't even know anyone here in Miami that has ever complained about it if they did have it.

Lucky man, I gotta be really lucky.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    I've never had a yellow screen, but please source the "burning out materials".

People finally got over the "drying glue" phenomenon.

23. sneak3 macrumors 6502

It's not only about lucky. It's about tolerance and being physically able to see the issue.

There are people with trained/sensitive vision, there are people who see a screen as only a thing with moving images, there are physically perfect displays, there are bad displays.

Just need to match those out. For some it's way easier, for others not so much. And that is what makes a "issue free screen".

24. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Does 120hz vs. 60hz help with led/lcd ghosting?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    I must be lucky my eyes view the screen as pretty damn amazing and defect free then.

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68000

Yes, it will cut down on the ghosting.