Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Here is one way to solve the problem without buying an expensive Apple Pencil and associated adapters/dongles.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Apple pencil one is torture to use! A lot of haters on here were loving the hate on Musk, but I think Tim Cook's dongle fetish is by far worse! Have you used an Apple Pencil 1? The latency is good but the functionality for erasing and charging sucks. But now you need to buy another dongle? Tim Cook is laughing at you suckers! People freak out about 8 dollars a month for Musk trying to make a sustainable business model, but Tim Cook Fan boys have no problem paying 100 dollars for a pencil and dongle that uses old tech? Tim couldn't even bother to change it to USB-C as he knows his pony boys will buy more dongles blindly!

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Given that the battery in every iPhone I ever owned failed and needed to be replaced after a couple of years, this glued mess is very disappointing.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Worst value ever. For 20 more dollars you can buy a refurbished iPad Air 4 with:

Second Gen Apple Pencil support
Compatible with Magic Keyboard
Laminated Display
P3 wide color gamut
Higher clocked A14
Thinner
Lighter

What’s not to love there? Is a landscape camera really worth all the trade offs?
1. You're right, iPad Air 4 is a better deal right now.

2. Keyword, refurbished. The Air 4 is cheap right now because it's a discontinued product.

3. It is only a better deal currently while stocks last or if you do not already have a Pencil1 or Logitech Crayon (which many upgraders / schools / businesses will already have if they needed them).

4. The 10th gen can be had for $399 if you shop around.

5. Not every country has a refurbished store.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
um... physics??

Personally I don't have an issue with the camera being on the side..... almost a problem not needing fixing...

and WHAT a compromise to make it happen.....

Where exactly do you think it could go then?

Top... NO Speakers and Power button/touchID.
Bottom.... NO - Speakers and USB C port.
Other Side... NO - case compatibility.

So... ?
How about this crazy idea? Make it Magic Keyboard Folio compatible, and bam, you can put it at The bottom, cause when you attach iPad to it there’s room below. The dude who doesn’t need keyboard won’t be bothered and everyone is happy.
but NO. We need to repeat the glory of Magic Mouse charging because that’s an amazing idea.

Reactions: MobiusStrip

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Do-it-yourself repair website iFixit today shared a video teardown of Apple's new 10th-generation iPad, providing a closer look inside the tablet and revealing why the device lacks support for the second-generation Apple Pencil.

The teardown reveals the internal layout of the iPad, including its two-cell 7,606 mAh battery, logic board with the A14 Bionic chip, and more.

As suspected, the teardown shows that components for the iPad's landscape-positioned front camera occupy the space where the wireless charging coil would have been located for the second-generation Apple Pencil. As a result, the device is only compatible with the first-generation Apple Pencil, with an adapter required for pairing and charging.

iPad-10-Battery-Pull-Tabs.jpg

Image Credit: iFixit

iFixit also confirmed that the iPad has stretch-release battery pull tabs like the fifth-generation iPad Air and the sixth-generation iPad mini, making it easier for repair shops and customers to replace the battery. In comparison, the ninth-generation iPad and many other older iPads have completely glued-in battery cells.

iFixit was disappointed that the iPad's USB-C port is soldered to the logic board and noted that Apple's self-service repair program does not currently offer parts, manuals, or tools for iPads, making it harder for customers to complete their own repairs.

Apple released the 10th-generation iPad in late October. Key new features include a 10.9-inch display with slim bezels, flat edges, A14 Bionic chip, USB-C port, Touch ID power button, landscape-positioned FaceTime camera, 5G support on cellular models, Wi-Fi 6, and a new two-piece Magic Keyboard Folio accessory with a row of function keys. Pricing starts at $449, while the ninth-generation iPad remains available for $329.

Article Link: iPad 10 Teardown Reveals Why Device Isn't Compatible With Apple Pencil 2
Apple should release Apple Pencil Rev version with usb C. It will be good move for them.

geartau

Suspended
Jun 5, 2022
They could've still put it on the bottom where the case connects. You just wouldn't be able to charge the pencil while the case is connected. Small price to pay for supporting a much more improved version of the Pencil. Not to mention, the Pencil charges so fast and last so long that it's not really a big sacrifice.
different connector already exist on that side. you'd have an off center pencil charging. plus people who use the new cover generally want to keep it on. and the extra magnets would probably hinder the ability to connect / disconnect the case with ease.

pencil 1 is disgusting already but off center pencil 2 charging would be even worse.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
What a lame excuse. First, this is just one reason that wireless charging is a stupid gimmick: It wastes space inside devices.

Also: Why doesn't the Pencil work on Apple laptops' defectively oversized trackpads? At least that would add value. I'd buy a Pencil immediately if Apple hadn't sha𝗍 the bed on this obvious feature for what... five years now?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The number of people with a passionate hot-take on a product they wouldn’t buy to begin with is certainly…something.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Except iPads have evolved a lot since then. Using an iPad with the Magic Keyboard for instance, makes the person looks weird and off axis because the camera is on the left.
Honestly it needs 2 cameras to really satisfy everyone

Reactions: fcs132

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
This may sound crazy, but couldn't Apple...you know...just moved the wireless charging coil to a different part of the iPad? 🤯

I think to be even simpler… the camera could be moved - to throw an arbitrary number out there - 1 inch to the left and have the best from both. Who says the camera needs to be centered, while the pencil needs to be able to attach on 3 different sizes.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
It may be that this is the iPad that will be paired with a HomePod base. This makes the landscape camera placement ideal, and in that configuration no pencil is likely needed.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It’s a good device, but at £499 in the U.K, you are are taking the proverbial Apple. Should be £100 cheaper. For now you can get the M1 iPad Air for only £70 more with third party retailers, or even new iPad Air 4‘s with cellular on Amazon for £80 more.

Last edited:

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
I'm rolling back my thoughts on the lack of 2nd gen pencil support .. why?

My thoughts were initially that it made it cheaper for folk who already had Gen1 pencils, or Edu markets that might use Logitech Crayons to continue using those devices.

I was one of those users having bought a Gen1 Logitech Crayon years ago but never did use it much.

Recently I got a M2 Pro. Lo-and-behold .. not only does the (Gen1) Crayon work perfectly well with the Pro, but even the hover function, which I was not expecting.

Anyhow, this tears down (at least partially) my original argument in favor of Gen1 Support and can say ... Bad, Bad Apple.

Reactions: macsound1

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
The dumbest thing of all is that the Pencil doesn't work on the (defectively) oversized trackpad on Apple laptops.

WTF?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.