Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
That was the whole case with them iPod Touches. Before, they stated if someone's going to sabotage one of their products (devices for testing, for children or otherwise very light iOS users), they'd rather they themselves be the one to do that. Later on, they announced iPod Touch line is getting canned, and it turns out they only kept selling them because they had to liquidate their inventory of parts and casings for that product line.
Interesting. Was that an official response or something?

For this iPad, I always thought it had to do with the display technology. Either left overs or cheaper to use.

Reactions: cyanite

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
They probably want to avoid a charging coil on the low-end iPad. There is probably room for two pencils in Apple's lineup. One for artists and one for note-takers. They just need to refresh the Pencil 1 to a newer design or discontinue and use the Logitech Crayon. They should rename the Pencil 2 to the Pencil Pro so it is less confusing to consumers.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
My guess is it could be a visual thing. Apple wouldn't move the charging system down because it looked awkward.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
They could've still put it on the bottom where the case connects. You just wouldn't be able to charge the pencil while the case is connected. Small price to pay for supporting a much more improved version of the Pencil. Not to mention, the Pencil charges so fast and last so long that it's not really a big sacrifice.

Tell me you don't use an iPad + Pencil without telling me you don't use an iPad + Pencil.

Interesting. Was that an official response or something?

For this iPad, I always thought it had to do with the display technology. Either left overs or cheaper to use.

It's as official as their other claims: absolutely not.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think this makes perfect sense: this way, Apple can sell more dongles, which does seem to be their new business model. Dongles for everyone! Especially expensive, proprietary dongles made with cables that fray after 1 year so you have to buy another one! Why sell the expensive Apple Pencil 2 when you can sell them the cheaper Pencil 1 and a new dongle that can't ever be used for anything else in the whole world?

Next up: they will switch iPhones to USB-C but just to piss everyone off, they will still come with a Lightning charging cable in the box.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Apple always solves problems like these, but not before an interim step that is severely lacking. This is that interim step.

Reactions: NyCeEvO

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
Tell me you don't use an iPad + Pencil without telling me you don't use an iPad + Pencil.

I have an M1 iPad Pro and use my Apple Pencil 2 quite frequently. I hardly ever have it connected to my iPad unless it's low on charge, and it's filled back up very quickly. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I have an M1 iPad Pro and use my Apple Pencil 2 quite frequently. I hardly ever have it connected to my iPad unless it's low on charge, and it's filled back up very quickly. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.
Most people keep their pencil attached to the side of their iPad when not using it. That wouldn't work if you had to keep the pencil stored on the bottom.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Apple always solves problems like these, but not before an interim step that is severely lacking. This is that interim step.
For folks upgrading from an older Pencil 1 iPad, this is the perfect product for them. For the group of folks that will never buy it because they weren’t in the market for it, they just like to have things to complain about… well, it makes sense that Apple made it for the people that will buy it. Not for the ones that won’t. :)

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Why didn't they just move the coil to above or below the camera module? Yeah it would have been off center but only while the pencil was attached and charging, which doesn't take long anyway. They could have put the 5G antenna below the camera and the Pencil charging coil above it, and this would have been fine.

Seeing all that space inside the case makes it clear this was a deliberate choice to continue supporting the Gen 1 Pencil to either move surplus stock or intentionally gimp this model compared to the Air or Pro by packing it with the inferior older model Pencil.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
For folks upgrading from an older Pencil 1 iPad, this is the perfect product for them. For the group of folks that will never buy it because they weren’t in the market for it, they just like to have things to complain about… well, it makes sense that Apple made it for the people that will buy it. Not for the ones that won’t. :)
Ironically I have a Pencil 1 iPad; I’m just not in the market for an upgrade. 😁

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Worst value ever. For 20 more dollars you can buy a refurbished iPad Air 4 with:

Second Gen Apple Pencil support
Compatible with Magic Keyboard
Laminated Display
P3 wide color gamut
Higher clocked A14
Thinner
Lighter

What’s not to love there? Is a landscape camera really worth all the trade offs?

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have been using this iPad with Magic Keyboard Folio for a month now including a 1-week trip, it met my expectation. No doubt, it would be nice to include Apple Pencil (2nd get) support but that's Apple decision. The USB-C to Apple Pencil adapter seems to be available in stock these day.

I have both the iPad (10th gen) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th gen) on my bookshelf and I often grab the iPad (10th gen) to use. ;)

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Most people keep their pencil attached to the side of their iPad when not using it. That wouldn't work if you had to keep the pencil stored on the bottom.
No they don't. No one I know does that, because the stupid thing falls off with the smallest bump. The only time my Pencil is attached to my iPad is when it is charging. Otherwise it's in a pouch in my messenger bag next to some pens and pencils, or in a leather case I got off Amazon along with some charging cables, a USB-C memory card adapter etc so I don't lose it.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
No they don't. No one I know does that, because the stupid thing falls off with the smallest bump. The only time my Pencil is attached to my iPad is when it is charging. Otherwise it's in a pouch in my messenger bag next to some pens and pencils, or in a leather case I got off Amazon along with some charging cables, a USB-C memory card adapter etc so I don't lose it.
Yes, they do; speaking from personal experience. And it never fell off my old 2020 Pro nor has it fallen off my 2022 Pro when travelling.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
This may sound crazy, but couldn't Apple...you know...just moved the wireless charging coil to a different part of the iPad? 🤯
um... physics??

Personally I don't have an issue with the camera being on the side..... almost a problem not needing fixing...

and WHAT a compromise to make it happen.....

Where exactly do you think it could go then?

Top... NO Speakers and Power button/touchID.
Bottom.... NO - Speakers and USB C port.
Other Side... NO - case compatibility.

So... ?

Reactions: Ferc Kast

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
I call BS. Move the forking charger and stop with the adapters and cables.

Remember this commercial Apple?
I bet Jony Ive throws up or at least dry heaves uncontrollably when he sees the keyboard and mouse cables on that iMac.

Jony: How can we get AC power to these machines wirelessly?
Engineering: blank stare
Jony: Figure it out, that's what we're bloody paying you for

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The iPad 10 is for someone that wants a basic tablet with an updated form factor and larger screen than the older model. Well, that’s the reason I bought it anyway. I have no intention of buying expensive Apple accessories. Adding $350 for a pencil and keyboard folio just isn’t worth it to me. That’s almost what I paid for the iPad 10 ($419 on sale). Anyway, the whole Apple Pencil thing is a moot point for me.

I recently did a Zoom call using the landscape camera with center stage, and it worked great. Very nice. I should get 4+ years of use from this iPad, and that will be fine.

Reactions: minik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.