iPad 2 - 3G vs wifi ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PurpleHeart, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PurpleHeart macrumors member

I have the money to buy the iPad and am just anxiously waiting for the release

However, I am still torn between the 3g and wifi versions and have yet to decide...

I guess I will be going down in capacity if I do get the 3g version to match the price..

which one should I get?

btw, I do not have iPhone - just have iPod Touch and htc 'smartphone'..

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I'm very particular to the 3g. It's just so much more convenient to have access to the internet when you want it and not have to worry about being in a hotspot location...for instance, in the car!

3. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I've found myself plenty occupied without the need to check facebook, yahoo!, etc. every five seconds while on the go.

I had a 16 3g and never really used the 3g after the first month.

I'll still be getting 3g this go around just because I'm planning on taking a few road trips in the coming months and I'll need my facebook, yahoo!, MR then. :D

But I'd stick with WiFi if you're not really big on being connected at all times. Still, it's going to greatly depend on if there will be an unlimited plan offered for 3g.

4. pat615 macrumors newbie

Hope that

Hope that China does not need cutting sim
    :D

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

3G. Wouldn't go without it. The whole point of the iPad is to be connected with convenience. Just my opinion and needs though.

6. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

Remember that GPS is only available on the 3G version.

7. Jcoz macrumors 6502

But why bother?

Wouldnt it be better to just up the data plan you already have (an assumption I know) on your phone and hotspot connect for any mobile ipad data needs?

I guess it would depend, but for anyone with an phone capable of hotspot, can probably get more for their money keeping it all on one plan...

What is it, $45 for 4gb at ATT with hotspot (in 4.3 anyways)?

I don't think you can beat that with separate plans...

$25 for 2 gigs on phone, $25 for 2 gigs on ipad = $50....

Pros for separate contracts = not having to eat your cell battery to supply wifi to your ipad

Pros for hotspot option = Save $5, and your data can be used any way you like, instead of having data tied to specific devices.

8. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Is that only activated if you have an active contract?

9. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

remember that we get a mobile hotspot feature with 4.3 on the iPhone. so if u have one, why pay another data plan just for the iPad?

if you need 3G on the iPad every day... ok, but if you have Wifi at home+work+university+.... why pay 2 plans.

10. Erkenntnis, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Erkenntnis macrumors member

Having owned a 3G iPad before, I concluded that I don't need 3G access. In the nine months that I owned it, I turned on 3G only once - to check in early for a flight. If I had planned better, I could have avoided that too.

It's handy to have, but the bottom line is that 3G is not very important for me. I thought that I would use the 3G for things like navigating my way around when driving, or making Skype calls on the go. But navigation while using an iPad is really hard because the iPad is so large, and I found myself not needing a navigator, almost ever. Plus, the iPad is not a phone.

I think it's really important to think hard about whether you really need the 3G antenna. You can potentially save yourself a bunch of money if you come to the same conclusion that I did. I thought it would be like four-wheel drive in your automobile; a feature that you'd regularly need (in 4WD's case, especially in the winter). But 3G in your iPad isn't really like that. Usually, WiFi is available, and most of what you do with your iPad isn't important enough to warrant buying a 3G connection. But just ask yourself what you use your iPad for, and whether a 3G connection is necessary for doing it. You might come to a different conclusion than I did, which is fine. I'm just relating how it was for me.

11. TheXIIIth macrumors member

I was debating on which to get myself when the first gen iPad was released.

In the end - I went with the 32GB WiFi only version and I then purchased a Virgin Mobile MiFi mobile hotspot to use with it on the occasions I needed the connectivity on the road. The MiFi also affords me hotspot usage with my mobile phone as well (hassle free tethering all together).

Some may point out that the MiFi would be one more thing that has to be lugged around. That's hardly an argument as it isn't much bigger than a credit card, weighs next to nothing and is easily carried in a pocket. Now if I were the type of person who has a lot skinny jeans in my wardrobe - it might be a valid argument. :rolleyes:

12. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

wifi version for me 64gb or higher if they up the capacity:D

13. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I'm definitely going 3G but then again I sold my smartphone in prep and to save for the iPad 2 and it will be my primary device. no reason to have 2 data plans. Hell I may ditch the phone and go all Skype or GVoice soon.

14. Elise macrumors 6502

It's funny seeing the same threads as we had last year with the same queries! :D

I personally like having the 3G, the Wi Fi wouldn't have suited my needs at all. Because the 3G is on a pay as you go deal I can choose when I want to pay for data. There are times that I need it due to travel and other times it's not an issue.

15. Mitch2742 macrumors member

I'm going with WiFi-only for my first iPad since I already have an iPhone. Plus I can always jailbreak it and tether it with my phone.

16. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

iPhone in pocket with MyWi+wireless tethering= No need for 3G plan

17. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well..

I am with the Mademan... jailbroken tethering= iPad with only WiFi

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Everyone has a different opinion. In MY opinion, you should only pay ONE 3G data plan a month. so that leaves you with...

3G iPad + 3G-less phone

wifi iPad + 3G phone

wifi iPad + 3G-less phone + MiFi (or something similar)

That way you can always have a 3G enabled device. Especially because many modern smartphones will be able to be used as a hotspot. That's what I plan on doing.

yeah, that does kinda suck. But I just use my iPhone for that anyway :)

19. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Well..

I am with the Madman... jailbroken tethering= iPad with only WiFi

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'll add the same 2 cents I add to the hundred or so of these that have been popping up. If you plan on traveling outside the US with the iPad then 3G is very handy. You can buy a prepaid microSIM fairly easily. Makes GPS, emailing and web use that much more convenient on the go.

21. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I would definitely get a 3G version if I traveled a lot, but since I don't, I'll get the WiFi version. If the hotspot feature on the iPhone could be added "on-demand", I would likely just pay for that when I needed it and connect my iPad.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I travel a bit and use the 3g quite a bit

The 2gb cap is an absolute joke that does in fact cause me not to use it at times which is extremely disappointing.

If you plan on using the iPad often without Wifi, make sure you realize the cap on the iPad is there

I am not getting another iPad unless the cap is raised significantly or gotten rid of completely.

Just not worth it with the cap for ME.

23. PurpleHeart thread starter macrumors member

Well, last year we were all blinds trying to feel our way around and making guesses - this time around though, a lot of the responders have had about a year of iPad - with or without 3g ... so I was looking for responses based on their experience.

Gah I am reading through the responses and you guys have me even more confused and torn now :(

24. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Ahhh, but what about those of us with a grandfathered Unlimited Data plan? If I'm not mistaken, the AT&T tether/hotspot plan can only be purchased if we DOWNGRADE to a non-unlimited plan. That makes this decision harder, unfortunately.

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I made downgraded today in preparation for next Friday. I found out that I only use about 1GB or less a month on my iPhone so that would leave an additional 3GB per month for me to play with and I can live with that. Sure I would love the option for unlimited, but those days are long gone now.