iPad 2 64GB or iPad 3 16GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphone joe, May 25, 2012.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

If you only had $500 to spend what would you buy, A refurbished iPad 2 64GB or a new iPad 3 16GB? Thanks.

2. Ries macrumors 68000

It would save more up and buy the iPad 3 32gb

3. ougum macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

That's an easy one. I'd buy the 64 gb 2.

4. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

If you don't need dictation and are not particularly bothered by the better camera, GPU and memory, then I would say Gen2

6. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I was in the same situation and went for the iPad2 64gb and have not regretted it for a moment. I know that new technology is great, but there will always be something bigger and better that is coming along. I don't have the money to keep up with technology. My thought is if it works for you then great. The iPad2 I bought has replaced my laptop and it is working fine for me.

Have a great day,
    HiddenPuppy

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I would buy the 64 gb iPad 2, iPad 2 is going to be just as capable of running apps as the iPad 3. The retina display is gorgeous but 16 gb for retina optimized apps is a joke. I can't believe they continue to offer the iPad in 16 gb capacity, I mean that's the same capacity as the nano and that only does music.

8. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I have the 16 g 3 and have no problem. Ith needing mor storage I still ha e 8G left from launch day.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A 32GB new iPad is just $100 more. Why not save up?

The retina display is more than worth it. I know some feel its no big deal to them, but for me its made a huge difference when reading text. It's much less straining on my eyes to read long term and text, pics, and apps looks noticeably sharper.

The iPad 2 is a great device but never buy old tech if you can help it. Apple will stop supporting the iPad 2 a year before it stops supporting the iPad 3.

10. ougum macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

A couple of months ago the iPad 2 was the greatest device on the planet. Now folks talk like it's crap. Believe me it's not. It perform just as well as it did before the 3 was released. It's just smart to go with the largest capacity of the two. Apple will support the 2 at least until the 4 arrive.

11. Manta-X macrumors member

12. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Go with the 16gb "the New iPad". The display is awesome & you can always add a wifi harddrive down the road.

13. donnaw macrumors 65816

Assuming this is not just a rhetorical question, (if it is, please think "one" every time i write "you") you should consider how you plan to use the device. Questions to ask yourself:

1). Do you plan to travel a lot? Do you think storage would be needed? I travel all the time and 16 gigs just would not cut it. Unlike some people think wifi is NOT available in a lot of places (although it may be but at a high price). So streaming your entertainment may not be possible.

2). How long do you plan on keeping the device? If you anticipate on buying next year the iPad 2 would be fine. If you plan on keeping it for at least 2 years the new iPad may be better due to the increased memory.

3). Display - go to a store and actually look at both if possible. I personally don't see enough of a difference but many do so the new display may be a selling point.

4). Do you intend to sell the device when you upgrade? The new iPad will probably be a better buy because it will retain its value longer.

These are just some of the things you should be asking yourself. I'm sure other posters could add to the list. But you should make your decision based on your own uses, demands and needs. Not on what other people think. Their preferences will not be the same as yours.

14. sheeptwo macrumors newbie

I read that the last models of Ipad 2 have a new processor model that gives you battery life up to 12-13 hours. That doesn't mean that your Ipad 2 will have this processor.

Ipad 3 has a few issues that Ipad 2 doesn't:
    - Longer charging time (additional 2-3 hours?) with the same battery life as the Ipad 2 (without the new CPU)
    - When used at 80%+ brightness it gets rather hot at certain places. It might not be comfortable for some people.
    - Screen lottery. My first unit had a pink tint, mostly visible at night when you read a book, but enough to bother me. I exchanged it and got lucky with a relatively good screen.
    A lot of people have had screen issues if you check the threads.

I got Ipad 3 due to the retina screen. I bought it mostly for web browsing and reading PDF books which look awesome on this screen.

15. fraggot macrumors 6502

iPad 2 with more storage, the new iPad is merely the "eye candy" version.

16. Zcott macrumors 68020

17. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Which is more important to you? Space or retina?

18. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

New iPad 3 16gb. The new display makes this the default decision.

19. Medic311, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

how about an iPad 2 16GB wifi refurb for $319? i was in your same boat and i decided to go with that.

then pocket the $180 and put it into your savings account

i use about 12GB max, which includes apps, pictures, and about 5 movies. the rest of my movies i stream using pogoplug. i don't need more than 5 movies at a given time on the actual device itself. i don't keep any music on it since i use my iPhone for that. if i really wanted to listen to music, i can just stream my iTunes library via the Shared Library function.

regarding the screen, the difference is substantial however not monumental. with the new display you will never have to pinch-to-zoom to make out text. everything will be crystal crisp clear. however with that said, i find myself pinch-to-zooming anyways because even though the text is crisp and clear, it's too small for me to comfortably read. thus if i am pinch-to-zooming to read articles on CNN.com regardless of which screen i have, i might as well go with the cheaper option.

my suggestion is to go with the iPad 2 16GB wifi refurb to hold you over until the iPad 4 (or the newest new iPad) which i'm sure will be quite the blockbuster like the iPhone 5 most likely will be. this latest gen iPad was an improvement model, expect the next one to redefine the category like the iPad 2 did

20. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Oh man, the posts seem to alternate! iPad 2, new iPad, iPad 2... lol

I'm also torn between the two. I love the feeling of owning the new technology and I'd most likely go with the 16 GB either way. So it's a difference between $320 for a refurb or $500 for a new iPad.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd get an iPad 2.

----------

Don't forget the retina screen - IMO that's the best new feature.

22. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

meh, not bad but Gen2 screen wasn't bad either. Besides, I am not a gamer, don't really read books on the iPad nor is the device my prime web browsing machine so when I compare it with my Gen2, I don't really care about Retina all that much...

23. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Deifinitly iPad 3, but go easy on your apps as 16gb will get used pretty quickly. I would rather go for less memory and have the lovely screen and camera over the iPad 2.

24. theluggage macrumors 68030

What do you plan on using it for?

The iPad 3 gives you the retina display and a better camera.

The retina display on the iPad 3 is fantastic for viewing photos and document/ebook reading (although I still prefer a Kindle for reading novels, the iPad3 rocks for reference books and PDF docs). For anything else, its nice, but not such a big deal. Most of the extra processing power goes to drive the screen.

The camera is better, but its still a camera with no flash and a tiny lens built into a tablet, and an ergonomic disaster to use - if you're into photography you'll still want to carry a proper camera and, if you're not, the ipad2 camera will probably do.

If you want to carry a video collection around then 16MB won't go far and you'll have to pick and choose what you carry. Unless you really need full HD (which will stretch that 16MB even further) the iPad2 will do the job.

The first thing you need to do is to add up the size of any music, video and photo collections you want to carry around!

If you're not sure what you want to do then the 64GB iPad2 would be a great all-rounder.

If you particularly want the retina display and/or better camera and don't mind the prospect of having to be selective about what you keep loaded up then get the 16GB iPad 3.

Personally, I would save up for at least the 32gb iPad 3.