Ipad 2 and 4s Prep for Jailbreak

aesp533262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
12
0
I have a 4s running 5.0.1 (9a405) on Sprint and a Wifi Ipad 2 Jailbroken running 4.3.3 using comex's jailbreak. I want to be ready for this jailbreak release next week. I know i should save SHSH Blobs for both devices. And i think that is is all I have to do for the 4S.

But should i upgrade the ipad2 to 5.0.1, lose the current jailbreak? Will i be able to revert back to 4.3.3 and rejailbreak if the jailbreak is not released?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
 

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
3,737
95
alta loma, ca
I have a 4s running 5.0.1 (9a405) on Sprint and a Wifi Ipad 2 Jailbroken running 4.3.3 using comex's jailbreak. I want to be ready for this jailbreak release next week. I know i should save SHSH Blobs for both devices. And i think that is is all I have to do for the 4S.

But should i upgrade the ipad2 to 5.0.1, lose the current jailbreak? Will i be able to revert back to 4.3.3 and rejailbreak if the jailbreak is not released?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
no way, keep the ipad jb @4.3.3

what are you looking for in 5.x that you dont have on a jb 4.3.3 ipad?
 

aesp533262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
12
0
I would like to have the latest IOS version installed on all my devices and have been holding off waiting for an A5 Jailbreak.

Any other suggestions?
 

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
998
2
OP: I'm in the EXACT same situation as you with regard to devices and their respective iOS versions. I just updated my 4s to 5.01 and I'm holding off on my currently jailbroken 1Pad2 at 4.3.3 until the JB is ACTUALLY released and readily available. For me, a jailbroken iPad2 at 4.3.3 PWNS a vanilla iPad2 at 5.01.
 

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
323
138
Dallas, TX
My suggestion, since saying "don't upgrade" when it's clearly what you want to do is by no means "advice", would be to upgrade now... Apple is SURELY trying to push through 5.0.2 or 5.1 to stop the jailbreak of the A5 devices, especially since now they have a time frame to try and beat!

If 5.1 drops and you're still on 4.3.3 you're likely going to be waiting even longer.

I've been an avid jailbreaker since the first jailbreak was available and if I can hold out for 3 months without a jailbreak, you can hold out a week or two.
 

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
3,671
668
Atlanta, GA
I had my 4S on 5.0 and iPad 2 on 4.3.3 until pod2g said the jailbreak is imminent.

I updated both to 5.0.1 now. I can live without my iPad jailbreak for a week. I would hate to miss out on the jailbreak because Apple decided to release a new firmware. I have 4.3.3 blobs for my iPad so I can still downgrade if I have to.
 

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
526
7
Catalina Wine Mixer
I predict, 30 min after the A5 jailbreak is released...Apple releases 5.1 :eek:

Insane panic ensues. People's heads explode. Both Cydia and Apple servers fall to oblivion.
 

aesp533262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
12
0
I had my 4S on 5.0 and iPad 2 on 4.3.3 until pod2g said the jailbreak is imminent.

I updated both to 5.0.1 now. I can live without my iPad jailbreak for a week. I would hate to miss out on the jailbreak because Apple decided to release a new firmware. I have 4.3.3 blobs for my iPad so I can still downgrade if I have to.
OK...This is what i wanted to hear. So if i save the SHSH Blobs from the current setup on the ipad, then i can upgrade the ipad to 5.0.1 using itunes update. Then save the 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs as well. Any instructions anywhere on how to do this. I know tiny umbrella is used.
 

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
566
0
I predict, 30 min after the A5 jailbreak is released...Apple releases 5.1 :eek:

Insane panic ensues. People's heads explode. Both Cydia and Apple servers fall to oblivion.
That would be so super dickish of apple. Id say that if anyone would do it, it'd be apple tho!!
 

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
333
1
You can use Tiny CFW to downgrade rather painlessly if you (a) have your 4.3.3 blobs and (b) have a wifi or GSM iPad 2. If you have a CDMA, like me, there is no way to downgrade.
 

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
3,671
668
Atlanta, GA
OK...This is what i wanted to hear. So if i save the SHSH Blobs from the current setup on the ipad, then i can upgrade the ipad to 5.0.1 using itunes update. Then save the 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs as well. Any instructions anywhere on how to do this. I know tiny umbrella is used.
You can't save blobs for 4.3.3 anymore. That window closed when apple released 4.3.4. You would have to have saved the blobs when 4.3.3 was the current firmware.
 

aesp533262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
12
0
You can't save blobs for 4.3.3 anymore. That window closed when apple released 4.3.4. You would have to have saved the blobs when 4.3.3 was the current firmware.
I have my 4.3.3 shsh blobs saved from when that firmware was current.
So i am going with YES I WILL BE ABLE TO DOWNGRADE FROM 5.0.1 ON MY WIFI IPAD2 BECAUSE I HAVE THESE FILES AVAILABLE. But How? Is there a tutorial or link showing how?
 

Doba

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
12
0
If you are currently running 4.3.3 on your device you can also save your SHSH blobs even though Apple doesn't sign it any more. Use iFaith for Windows. No Mac option that I'm aware of. iFaith will build you a custom firmware with the blobs stitched in and you will be able to restore with it if need be. I've done it with an iPhone 4. that was on 5.0.1 back down to 4.3.3.
 

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
1,215
3
i hope some of you realize that pod2g stating it could be ready in a week doesn't mean it WILL be out next week.

his last tweet said he overcame a big hurdle, not that he actually jailbroke it. everyone thought he was super close when he fixed the caching issue a few weeks ago too.
 

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
680
18
Middle of Pacific
i hope some of you realize that pod2g stating it could be ready in a week doesn't mean it WILL be out next week.

his last tweet said he overcame a big hurdle, not that he actually jailbroke it. everyone thought he was super close when he fixed the caching issue a few weeks ago too.
Another hints from CHRONIC

next week will be one awesome ****ing week. and I'm not just talking about what we'll see unveiled at CES.
 

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
647
8
I thought with the 4S and IOS 5, SHSH blob won't do any good...hopefully i'm wrong. I'm still on 5.0 with my 4S, should I upgrade to 5.0.1? I was holding off hoping the older it is the better chance of jailbreak for it...

thanks
 

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
3,671
668
Atlanta, GA
I thought with the 4S and IOS 5, SHSH blob won't do any good...hopefully i'm wrong. I'm still on 5.0 with my 4S, should I upgrade to 5.0.1? I was holding off hoping the older it is the better chance of jailbreak for it...

thanks
Blobs won't do any good yet. There's always a possibility of them finding a new way to make the blobs useful again.

There's no reason to keep your 4S on 5.0 unless you're holding out hope that there may one day be an unlock available for that baseband.
 

aesp533262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
12
0
Does this work with Ipad2 on 5.0.1? Doesn't say if it does.


If you are currently running 4.3.3 on your device you can also save your SHSH blobs even though Apple doesn't sign it any more. Use iFaith for Windows. No Mac option that I'm aware of. iFaith will build you a custom firmware with the blobs stitched in and you will be able to restore with it if need be. I've done it with an iPhone 4. that was on 5.0.1 back down to 4.3.3.
So i have downloaded the ipsw of 4.3.3 and save my shsh blobs on 4.3.3. I should be able to upgrade the ipad2 to 5.0.1. Hang out for a week unjailbroken. If it comes out, im good to go. If it doesnt, I just use ifaith to go back to 4.3.3 and jailbrake again using jailbreakme.com
 

Doba

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
12
0
As long as you cover all your bases you should have no problem going back down to 4.3.3 if you are on it now. With pod2g's newest blog post I wouldn't say the A5 jailbreak is a week away any more.