iPad 2 and iPad 3 speed difference

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacBH928, Apr 21, 2012.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Ok so I bought an iPad 3 that has a nice pink to green gradient, so much for the biggest selling point of the new iPad.

I will sell this, if i can find a buyer that is color blind, but I want to know if there is a speed difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 2 , because this ipad 3 just flies compared to iPad 1.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not a huge difference in raw app speed, however there is a noticeable performance benefit from the extra 512MB of RAM. Faster app switching, and less reloading.

Why sell it, though? If the display is bad, it's covered under warranty.

3. Dkorda macrumors 6502

I think my web pages load quicker on the iPad 3.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Apple would very likely be willing to replace it.

There have been various benchmarks that show that the iPad3 does not have significant speed advantages outside of graphics performance.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If the screen is that bad make a Genius appt and they will replace it for you. No need to take a bath and then buy a lesser iPad. The new iPad screen blows the iPad 2's away. You just need to get one that doesn't have a hue or tint.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Do not expect a speed increase with the iPad 3. There might be some slight differences but you will look hard to find.

The screen is the best part of the update to me.

7. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Totally agree here. I think the speed is essentially the same, as is the weight, as is the thinness, as is the heat. Comments to the contrary are a little nitpicky IMHO.

8. batotman macrumors 6502

From the 2 to 3, ever so slight.

From the 1 to 2 or 3, big difference.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The CPU is the exact same speed as iPad 2. The GPU is twice as fast, but this'll only really be noticeable in complicated games. The extra memory means more apps can remain in memory after closing, which will speed up the loading of apps a tad.

10. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I have both at the house here, and it's not noticeable. That said, they're both extremely fast. And like everyone else said, replace it. I'm getting the feeling you didn't buy this new or you would not have come here to complain about the screen.

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Actually, if anything, there should be a speed decrease.

Why?

Apple updated the GPU and RAM to handle the retina display, but while 1gb is double what the IPad 2 had, the resolution is 4x, leading to an overall reduction of inactive RAM when measurements taken at random intervals are averaged.

The GPU is powerful enough to equal out with the IPad 2 when the retina display is taken into account. So really, any extra power the A5x added went straight to the retina display.

A third slow down is the unchanging of the CPU. Though it doesn't affect as much as you think it would, because it isn't focused on the display, rather behind the scenes functions, retina apps do require more CPU processing power, though just slightly.

The fact that apple was able to keep it so smooth is surprising to me, but what I'm really waiting for is the iPad 4th generation, that is going to be a delicious piece of hardware.

What I'd like to see is the iPad 3 specs put into a normal resolution display, if that happened, console quality games wouldn't be even a little bit out of the question.

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have both iPad 2 & 3 models lying around the house for family use. The general consenus amongst us is the speed difference is nominal.

13. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

iPad 3 gives a better experience when playing games, browsing web in safari with many tabs open and using very memory intensive apps (like pdf related apps). App switching is also smoother, with more apps multitasking at the same time. In my opinion you would be crazy (no offence intended) to go back to iPad 2. It's not that its screen is faultless either! I had a very pronounced backlight bleeeding with my iPad 2, while my iPad 3 is perfect. No pink-green gradient. Bring it to the apple store and change it. Check it in the store so that you can be sure the new one is fine for you.

14. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not much of a speed difference, but a delicious display difference.

15. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

That 1 gig of ram which is double will indeed make some difference in some games and especially surfing the net. NO more checker boarding on web pages!

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is not true.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The OP just wanted to be snarky, I think. Doesn't sound like he really give a *insert expletive of choice here* about the iPad.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apparently your negative accusatory post fulfills some need to get attention. Now that you have, I wish you a speedy recovery.

19. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Exactly

20. Stefx73 macrumors regular

iPad 2 -> iPad 3 little or no difference in speed perceived

iPad 1 -> iPad 2&3 significant speed difference

21. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You mean just like your post? :eek:

22. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

You see, A friend of mine got me this iPad from the USA. I kind of trusted Apple on this one, and I read cult of mac and macrumors almost daily, I didnt hear any screen issues until I used mine. There are horror stories about returning their ipads 4-7 times . Just google yellow tint. Personally my ipad displays gamefaqs.com banner as light purple than blue.

As for the screen, it has resolution but I think this might be too sharp it hurts the eyes, then again , maybe it just needs time to get used to.
    Major issue here is color

23. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

There shouldn't be much difference. The iPad 2 even has a slight higher benchmark.

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Why would we Google something that is being discussed ad nauseum here already? And now your screen is too sharp?

Okay...

25. Stefx73 macrumors regular

this video

shows all three iPads 3, 2 & 1 side by side running apps simultaneously.
    You can see the 2 & 3 being neck to neck, and the iPad 1 lagging behind both.