ipad 2 backs....scratch easily?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ramrod82, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

This will be my first ipad, if BB ever gets them in ah ha! Anyways, do the backs scratch up real easily? Just getting to do list for accessories I will need now.
    Thanks!!

2. TheXIIIth macrumors member

It's aluminum - without a decent anodizing treatment it can pick up scratches, nicks and mars more quickly than other metals.

A proper case, sleeve and or protective skin along with basic precaution and care will keep your iPad protected in most cases.

3. Ljwinter macrumors member

Mine had scratches on it straight out of the box :(

4. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Exchange it...i would

5. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

They can get marked. Personally I just feel happily having a BSE skin on the back. Means I don't have to think about where I'm putting it down. Radtech screen cover for the front.

Sold my original iPad recently and the screen and the back are as good as new.

6. ozred macrumors 6502

The finish is soft, mine also came scratched but I don't care.

This is the new Apple where their devices are a bit more toy like.

They're designed to be replaced each year so it's no big deal.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With what? There's no stock around.

While I'd be PO'd about seeing scratches, he'll have to sit tight until inventories start climbing up beyond 0

8. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

that suxzor.

i kept my first gen in the stock apple black case and hated to do it...the device looked nicer out of a case.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

lol coming soon

11. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

they have stock you dont know about, so he can exchange it.

They have extra stock incase people have faults and need to return for a swap. I had this happen to me 4 times on the original. (When the shop was "out of stock") still had them ready for swaps everytime

12. Ljwinter macrumors member

Exactly, I thought about how would I exchange it and I would have to wait forever, not really that big of an issue since it will be in a case 99.9% of the time anyway. Plus it really isn't bad. My iPad (like others) also suffers from the backlight bleeding but it's NOWHERE near as bad as other peoples. I thought about returning it for that too but why? How often do I have an all black screen on my iPad? Not really a big issue.

13. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

What's a good clear cover for the back of the ipad 2?

14. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

He has 14 days to exchange...i'd go in NOW and tell them it had scratches and needs to be exchanged and you plan on doing it as soon as they get inventory. Either that or hunt places to finally get one somewhere, anywhere...buy it, return the other.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Ghost Armor for my iPhone/iPads and I've been very happy with it. They had a kiosk outside of my apple store so it was a no brainer to have them apply it.

16. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

And here I thought I was the only one. When I got it home, the first thing I looked for was damage. Sure enough, a really small hairline scratch on the back, not very noticeable but deep enough that it won't polish out. I ordered Best Skins Ever to protect it from here on out. I think Apple needs to shore up their QC a little.

17. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm waiting on a Gelaskin to show up this week to apply to the back. It comes with a front border piece as well, but I really like the white bezel so I think I'll just save it and put Ghost Armor on the front.

18. supermanfan macrumors member

I use Best Skins Ever on all my Apple stuff. bestskinsever.com

19. starwarsnerd macrumors newbie

Mine has some of these too. I'm worried that if I do exchange it (Best Buy), I'll get one with a backlight problem etc. I don't want to be exchanging 10 of these...

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think the scratches you are saying that you received out of the box were probably just the aluminum finish, which is sort of "textured" if you look closely. As in, it is supposed to not just be a completely solid shade of silver.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I believe that Apple keeps separate stock for replacements.

22. starwarsnerd macrumors newbie

I know what you're referring too, but mine are definitely a few small scratches as they are black :(

23. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I think that the aluminum will show wear, but nothing like the back of an iPod. I'm leaving mine naked since the thinness and lightness are the reasons i got the iPad 2 in the first place! I may get a sleeve for when I take it out of the house though.

24. sweetpoh macrumors newbie