Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ty7u5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
I will soon have saved up enough money for an iPad 2 (take into consideration I'm just about to turn 14) and I have interest in both the black and white editions of the iPad. So I was wondering if you guys could post which model you have and why you chose it, because I'm not sure which one to get.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Have you seen both in person?

I went with white cause the black one can be confused as an iPad 1 from a distance. The white looks newer and less scratches and smudges show.

ty7u5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Used and seen both in person, and was also leaning towards the white for its new looks, and less visible scratches/smudges.

macbillybob

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
have one of each. wife has white, i have black. I think the black one is faster but the white one doesn't weigh as much...;)

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cmon man this question has to have been asked a milion times on the internet. But black it looks so much better. the white just doesnt look sleek at all and looks like it shouldnt be there.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
My iPad2 is white. My ipad1 was black which showed all the finger prints. I prefer the white. No visible prints or smudges. The white is unique to the iPad2.

Vanessa17

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Good you for saving up at such a young age!

I chose the black because it is nicer to watch videos on. I personally don't find fingerprint smudges a problem with mine. I am usually a 'white everything' person but I make Apple products the exception... I have a silver iPod. :D

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I went with black again as it's better when watching videos the white stands out to much
And the black one looks better

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hi OP
Even though I won't be getting my iPad for sometime, I've also been thinking about what color I wanted as well.

Here are some shots that you might find helpful.
1ifmoo.jpg

25jys28.jpg

2vsmcnl.jpg

In my experience white can look amazing (photo 1) and horrible (photo 2), so I'm still not sure. I know the white demo model was probably abused as hell, but still useful especially if you don't plan on "babying it" so to speak.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
It is really a personally preference.

In this case, I assume you do not know what you want.

I'll break it down for you here...

I have a black one and my wife have a white one.

At first I prefer the white one for obvious reasons, then after a few weeks of usage, I think I like the black one better.

Solution to you'd delimma, is to buy the one you want in heart.

Black looks great but I find it harder to align the screen protector whereas the white colord one is easier.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The bottom line is this. Upon seeing the White iPad for the first time, if you have to convince yourself, or need pursuading that you like it, don't get it.
I knew as soon as I saw it, and haven regretted it one bit.
Go with your gut.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I'm thinking I'm going for the black one, i mean the white one has the edge on looks when it's switched on, but when switched off the black one looks much cleaner, and the black one matches my iMac and iPhone.

but it's really up to you, see them both in person, then decide.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Black is better to define the screen and will give the illusion of a bigger screen. White is better if you are into fashion or Jersey Shore.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I bought white and definitely like it better after using both, though yeah, it's just personal preference.

Only 'catch' with that is...is the white one less "manly" if you're a guy? I don't know for sure if it is or not, but the black one might be a slightly "safer" bet if you're worried about that, which could be an issue at your age, since people are jerks at that age.

Also, while again this is personal preference, at your age money was SUPER tight for me, and the iPad wouldn't have interested me much next to the game systems and (if it were now) an iPod for podcasts while doing boring stuff. Though obviously that may not be the case for you.

j0n24

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I just bought a white iPad 2 myself. I've heard of people complain about the white bezel being a distraction when watching movies etc., but I haven't found that myself. Some of those people may not actually own a white iPad, but just took a quick look at a store display. I find the white a welcome change from the original black iPad but whatever floats your boat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.