iPad 2 Build Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deadwalrus, Apr 11, 2011.

1. deadwalrus, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

deadwalrus macrumors regular

I noticed this when picking up my iPad 2 3g...

With or without a smart cover: with the screen toward the sky, grip the iPad 2 like this (with your thumb on top, over the screen, near the camera):

[​IMG]

When I do this, with my thumb about 2 to 3 inches from the edge, there is a distinct *click* when I grip it and release. I don't have to press very hard -- just about enough pressure to keep it from slipping out of my hands.

I have determined that the sound is the top edge of the screen slipping underneath the aluminum edge from the pressure of my thumb and then "clicking" back into place when I release my grip.

Can anyone else replicate this? I am wondering if this is common, or if I should take it in to the Apple store to be looked at.

Thanks

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Just out of curiosity, why do you demonstrate this grip with a rug, of all things. Why not just take a photo of yourself holding your ipad. ?

3. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

This image was already out on the nets. And I don't have my iPad with me right now.

I maybe should clarify also: the glass is not slipping under the "bezel" technically, but under the edge where the glass meets the aluminum. I'm sure it's bending the glass when this happens, though I'm not sure it would do any damage.

4. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Lol these forums create paranoid customers. That is not a problem on my iPad. If it is really bad and bothers you then go to an Apple store and exchange it for another one. You spent the money so might as well be satisfied

5. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. I have some backlight bleed, but not enough to care about at normal brightness. My home button is not flush with the glass -- it juts above it -- but it doesn't really bother me. Holding the iPad in a normal manner and experiencing the glass slipping underneath the edge of the aluminum and making a loud "clicking" sound while doing so is a little disconcerting, however.

Clearly the top edge of the glass is not affixed to the top edge of the aluminum back at all. I am only trying to figure out whether this is by design, or whether I should have it looked at.

6. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

If it is on your mind just take it to an apple store or call applecare because it will continue to be on your mind. I had horrible backlight bleeding and tried to ignore it, but I kept thinking about it so I just exchanged it for a new one and now I have no worries!

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Dude, the attached pic threw me off big time. I had to re-read the post like 4 times. I just couldn't grasp it. The rug was clouding my brains. Seriously, you couldn't find anything better or more suitable on the net???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

On one of the iPad 2s I returned I was having the early stages of this and looking at the image of the carpet it made perfect sense. Taking a picture of a screen/device thinner than the iPhone and seeing the issue would be possible but tough IMO. You would definitely need some macro action.

Basically, the screen has "play" in it in areas. For mine it was on the bottom in the area left of the Home button. "Mushy", "play", "gap", "separation", "screen rising from aluminum".. all would be terms I could see being used..but that image, while showing a scenario worse than SHOULD be possible with the iPad, does paint a picture of that issue with the screen looking and feeling like it's coming apart from the body of the iPad 2.

9. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

Ok ok. It is closest to this, only with the thumb a little further down the screen:

[​IMG]

Also similar to to some of the hands in these pics, but with the thumb at the top-center:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. lannim macrumors member

I don't have an ipad, but that sounds unacceptable to me..hope Apple hasnt been sacrificing device quality to shave off that extra millimeter. Id take it back for an exchange out of principle if nothing else.

11. lannim macrumors member

May I just say, blasphemy sir. Take that POS back.

12. 126351 Guest

This may be leading to this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1128871

Six demo units were suffering from it in the Covent Garden store. My first iPad 2 and the replacement both had it. That is 8 units purchased from or on display within 2 miles of each other.

Perhaps the 'give' is even occurring when the unit is set flat, albeit invisible to the naked eye, and this is putting stress on the glue, which in turn is leading to splits around the edges.

I suspect it is far more noticeable on the white models.

13. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Steve and I agree that you are holding it wrong. Seriously, who puts their thumb there?

14. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

I hope you're joking. It's a natural way to pick it up when it's not in use. That's the way I noticed it -- picking it up off of a table and hearing a "click."

15. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly my worry. Right now I cannot see this happening on mine, but the sound and "give" mine is experiencing aligns exactly with the pics in that thread.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Which will get you more satisfying results; posting on the internet, or getting a warranty replacement?

17. deadwalrus thread starter macrumors regular

Posting on the internet may inform me of whether anyone has attempted (and possibly failed) at obtaining a warranty replacement for such an issue. It may also inform me of whether this is a widespread problem, which may in turn inform me of whether I should delay my not-insubstantial trek to the Apple Store to await better stock.

18. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I never pick mine up with a thumb on the screen. So, I was joking with the first sentence only.

19. scwatkins77 macrumors newbie

You should be able to hold it whichever way you want without it clicking as you describe. When I hold mine the way you indicate, it doesn't click or anything like that. I'd say yours has a unique problem that may merit replacement.

20. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

You know.. I always wondered where all the re-furbs came from...
    After being here for a few days, it's CRYSTAL CLEAR...
    This is actually comical !

21. bri1212 macrumors 6502

It may also inform you that it is time to up your OCD meds.(Joking)

Actually to me it sounds like you are over the edge on this one, but you have every right to take it back to Apple and see what they have to say. I don't notice this on mine. But, if it is a problem for you, you should get it replaced.

22. felch macrumors member

23. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

That's funny.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

My iPad 2 quality is 100% save for a little bit of light bleed.

25. Gyrotron macrumors newbie

Hello,

My white 3G ipad2 has the same issue. :eek:

After pressing the glass on either side of the front camera, there is a loud click when releasing the pressure.

I have not noticed light bleeding.

Good luck with yours.