iPad 2 Dataplan help! (New User)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chiuy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I got the iPad2 at Bestbuy and it has Verizon plans only.
    I thought that you could also choose AT&T plans since their 2GB plan is cheaper and I never go over 2GB.
    How do I change wireless carrier?
    There's no option to choose between AT&T or Verizon, just Verizon.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

2. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

Verizon (CDMA) and AT&T (GSM) use different cellular hardware. If you bought a Verizon iPad, you must use Verizon service.

3. kalex macrumors 65816

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You bought a verizon (CDMA) version of the iPad which isn't compatible with AT&T or any other GSM network for that matter. I recommend that if you want AT&T you return the verizon version you bought and ask specifically for an AT&T version when you rebuy. The GSM version is also better as you can travel with it internationally and pick up prepaid microsims whether you go for that country.

Basically if you want AT&T your going to have the return your iPad and buy a AT&T version.

5. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow!!! Best Buy is sucking.
    They didn't even tell me which carrier I want and they just randomly grabbed a box from their shelves and gave it to me.
    Now I might have to return it.

But before I do, what's your opinions between AT&T and Verizon?
    Verizon is $5 more expensive for 2GB, but is it worth it? More coverage?
    (California, Bay Area)

But it does seem nice to have that $15 plan for 200MB just to do light surfing and emailing. It's not like I'll be gaming it online or listen to Pandora 24/7.

6. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

AT&T with GSM hardware is more flexible and easier to resell. Better for travel.

I'm in northern California and Verizon has better service in the city of SF itself, but AT&T is improving. Outside the city and outside of urban areas, AT&T has better coverage.

AT&T speeds are generally faster.

I vote AT&T - I hate them as a company, horrible and shady, but they have better overall service currently.

There is a reason the Verizon iPads are always in stock! Hehe

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Now, isn't all this about doing some due diligence as a consumer? I'm sure it said Verizon on the box. You knew you could have AT&T and Verizon carriers, how come you didn't ask them? You do know that Verizon phones and AT&T phones are incompatible right?

Sorry to be harsh but you make this thread sounds like Best Buy's fault. I'm surprised they didn't give you wifi only.

8. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a new iPad user, I don't know anything about dataplan, etc.
    I thought I assume that you could switch around AT&T and Verizon carriers.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Did you ask for a 3G version or Verizon?
    If you ask for a 3G version, then is BestBuy fault!!!! They can't assume their customers know everything, just one question AT&T or Verizon and explain the different between.

Anyway, I would prefer the AT&T version simply because if you're travelling, you can grab a SIM card from the local instead of paying the roaming fees ;)
    Enjoy your new iPad.

10. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I asked, "I want the iPad2 with 3G."
    And I just realized, the guy who wrote me the prices of the dataplan on a piece of paper was completely off!!!

This is what he wrote:
    Verizon
    $20/2GB $25/3GB $45/5GB $60/10GB

ATT
    $15/250MB $25/2GB

Just checked online, at least he was right about ATT, but not Verizon.
    Plus he gave me Verizon too. wth?!
    :confused::confused::confused:

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If I was use I will buy the AT&T model much more flexible and cheaper. And with AT&T now beginning to throttle data speeds the speed should be faster.

12. tirnszw macrumors member

Try "Cell Phone Coverage Map" App by RootMetrics to see if you get sufficient coverage in area where you use your 3G iPad. The App gives you a good idea how carriers perform in area of your interest. I, living in NorCal, chose Verizon but carrier choice really depends on where it is used.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd go with AT&T.
    Along with it being cheaper, you can ROAM with AT&T in most other countries. In fact, since it's unlocked you dont have to pay roaming fees with AT&T when you visit another country. Instead you can go to phone store in another country, ask for an iPad SIM, and they'll set it up for you. Its generally cheaper than paying international fees for data

Though you may never use your iPad out of the US, at least you have the option. With verizon, you don't.
    AT&T is generally faster and cheaper than Verizon