iPad 2-delayed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by g0odfr1end102, Jan 17, 2011.

1. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Hey everyone, this is my first thread on Mac Rumors and hope I will get an answer.
    In view of Job's recent drop of health, do you think an eventual iPad 2 keynote could be delayed? I've been waiting since last April to purchase an iPad, but have decided to wait until generation 2, no need to tell you that I am getting more and more excited :p

Ps: I am french, please excuse any language/spelling mistakes :eek:
    Pps: Hope Steve's liver issue is finally going to get better... :(

2. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I do not think Steve Jobs health will delay the iPad 2 release date. That's dependent on when it ready to be shipped. Whether it effects the timing of the "announcement" is another question, but I'd say probably not and if so, probably not by more than a week.

Tony

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say it would have no affect on the iPad 2 announcement or shipping date whatsoever

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When Steve Jobs left in early 2009 for 6 months to have his surgery, (that I can recall), none of the current products that were due for a refresh that year were delayed because of his absence. I don't see this time being any different, Apple is in good hands with Tim Cook.

Side note:
    The title is a little bit mis-leading.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'd imagine iPad2 is set in stone and probably rolling of the production line even now.

They only have 12 weeks, we think, from today to launch to the world the new model, and they will need millions probably already made to start shipping out from day1.

I don't think this will affect anything.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No delays because Jobs is not present at apple. Steve's absence will worry some share holders whether Tim and other management teams will be able to fill in Steve's shoes. However, there will no delays what so ever.

I don't expect iPad to be released until mid march or early april anyway, so this doesn't bother me.

7. simonhead666 macrumors newbie

simonhead666

iPad release date

Hi
    After years of watching LOST I have a theory about the press release announcing the iPad 2..
    if you watch the app store count down to 10 billion, I noticed that 10,000 sales equals 30 seconds.. so judging by where the count is now at around 9.9 billion, I did some math which puts the date to 32 days from now..which is either Feb 18th of 21st (does Apple do there big announcements on fridays or Mondays?)

Apple will most likely have a press conference about that occasion hence, the announcement of the iPad 2 and will be then..

that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!:D

Attached Files:

8. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

I've got my own theory.

4+8+15+16+23+42 = 108

Oh yeah.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Phil Schiller has already delivered several keynotes. Just assume that he will do the ones that SJ can't attend.

10. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jobs' leave of absence will not affect product cycles at all. I, and a few others, get the impression that this leave was planned in advance and things were likely coordinated with upper management to ensure that his plans continue without interruption, much like last year.

11. baummer macrumors 6502a

For the longest time Apple only announced products on Tuesdays, and in some cases Fridays, though generally Fridays would see product refreshes with minimal press. In the past couple of years, the day of the week has mattered less and less. I suspect the iPad 2 announcement will be a Tuesday or Wednesday affair, as the iPad was originally announced on Wednesday 01/27/2010. But at any rate, you can bet it will be announced on a week day and not during the weekend.

I think your timing is reasonable, though not due to your LOST theory, but due to the iPhone on Verizon taking up early press from last week up until the first week of February. Mid-February beyond is ripe for the iPad 2 announcement in my opinion. I am also guessing a ship date in March or April, but again this depends on when the actual announcement is made and whether or not they intend to have batches of iPad 2's ready in tandem with the announcement.

12. simonhead666 macrumors newbie

simonhead666

And don't start me on the smoke monster analogy!!:)

13. geko29 macrumors 6502

They typically do them on Tuesdays, so if you are correct, it'd be either the 22nd, or more likely, March 1st. Having to book the event in advance and all, would require at least a bit of lead time (more than 4 days, anyway) to make sure they've actually hit the mark.

My money's still on March 15th, with an April 2nd release date.

14. baummer macrumors 6502a

Solid, educated guess. Keep in mind though, that the iPad was first announced on a Wednesday.

15. BrennerM macrumors regular

Monday April 18th is the 108th day of the year. Hmmmm... :)

16. geko29 macrumors 6502

You're right. Change my dates to Feb 23rd/March 2nd for simon's theory, and my own prediction to March 16th. Don't know why I remembered it being a Tuesday.

17. baummer macrumors 6502a

I thought it was a Tuesday as well, but I researched the release date to be sure. For a few years there, Apple released products on Tuesdays only. They have slowly started breaking this formula up.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

Likely for the same reason CDs, and records before them, started to come out on Tuesdays rather than the usual Monday start of the week. So that retail locations wouldn't be disadvantaged by not having their shipments of new product when the announcement was made. In any case, the "Tuesday" rule hasn't applied in years.

19. pbh444 macrumors newbie

iPad 2 announcement and release date

iPad 2 will be announced the week of March 7 with availability April 2 in the US.

There will be two Wi-Fi only configurations (32GB and 64GB) and three 3G versions (32GB, 64GB and 128GB).

The 3G version will have a dual CDMA/GSM radio.

The 4G/LTE version will come in 2012.

C'est moi

20. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

21. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I predict the announcement will be on release day. "The new iPad. Available now."

22. baummer macrumors 6502a

Maybe. Maybe not. Nothing has been officially confirmed, so until that date I'm just going to ignore your matter-of-fact post when it is devoid of confirmable facts.

23. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I am also waiting and wondering. Just wanted to tell you that you don't need to apologize for your language/spelling. It is excellent, unlike that of many of the native English speakers on these forums.

24. jazziethomas macrumors member

Probably thee would not be a delay on the released date some says that the products are already on the testing stage, can't wait for the iPad 2.