iPad 2 edge coming apart.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by free0rda, Mar 31, 2011.

1. free0rda macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just noticed that the edge - between the glass and metal back - seems to be coming apart from the glass. It doesn't look like anything major, as it's only apparent in the upper left corner under the headphone jack. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I worry about it? :confused:

2. euphoria47 macrumors member

post a pic?

I'd take it in to the shop and ask for a swap though, it may get worse and if you dont act quickly, they will just say that you did it, or its too late.

3. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Pictures would be good.

4. free0rda thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a picture

Here you go, hopefully the picture is good enough- there seems to be some kind of dirt spec underneath it too.. not sure if thats what is making it pop up or not. But it's obvious how its not completely attached like the rest of the edges.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/free0rda/abea2a71.png

5. JLemm macrumors regular

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

How about you provide some explanation why you think that? Looks like the gasket is pulling away.

7. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

Mine has the exact same problem and I've been debating taking it in for an exchange. It also has what looks like pry marks on the metal right there. I also thought about creating a thread, but decided against it. It's interesting to see the exact same problem on another unit.

Pics uploading now...

8. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

I shot this form a couple different angles. Also, you can push in toward the screen and it looks normal. Just like the glue didn't set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Good pictures, bibbz . . .

I suspect a manufacturing problem. Doesn't look like it was dropped to me.
    It is, however, a cosmetic problem and not likely to have any effect on performance or reliability.

I examined the edges of my iPad-2 under a very good magnifying glass, and I could not see any such separation.

Even though a cosmetic issue, this might, indeed, be a manufacturing defect that will prompt a replacement plan by Apple.

Worth a try. Good Luck . . . to both of you.

10. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I had this issue on my old iPad 2 to a lesser extent , it was swapped by geniuses

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

mine too! i noticed it just today, in the same exact position as bibbz's, and i'm debating what to do.

12. ChimpNamedEnid macrumors member

I thought I was crazy until I saw this post. Thanks, OP. Mine has the same exact problem.

13. JLemm macrumors regular

because I dropped mine and it looks the same... LOL

14. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

15. Devtron macrumors newbie

I have a white ipad 3g, and it has the same defect.

16. 126351 Guest

Happening on my white 16GB Wi-Fi model, too.

Along with the bleed, speaker crackle, and quicker-than-expected battery drain, I have to say the build quality of this device is a joke.

Worst built Apple device I've owned - and I've had dozens down the years - by miles and miles and miles. Will be getting a refund and won't even bother with an exchange. Slick device, crap manufacturing.

17. free0rda thread starter macrumors newbie

@ bibbz

it's strange how it's in the exact same spot, I can also push mine in too.

18. 126351 Guest

Got a replacement instead of refund against my better judgement. They did offer to let me inspect before leaving the store but you can't really tell under those bright lights.

Anyway, screen bleed is even worse than the first and the case is splitting again on this one; just above the front camera and just below the home button.

One of the plugs was not wrapped and the box was smothered in manufacturing debris, from grit to metallic pieces.

Will definitely be getting a refund this time - Apple obviously has some major problems at the assembly line. I'll let others be the guinea pig.

19. 126351 Guest

Just to add...

The splits are occurring in exactly the same places as the first iPad and mirror those posted above. The fact that they are happening in the same place across a number of iPad's surely offers the compelling evidence that this is indeed an assembly fault and thus does need addressing by Apple.

20. jxr0124, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

jxr0124 macrumors newbie

Wow...I hate it that you guys are having these problems. I must have been one of the lucky ones. I have very back light bleeding, my battery is performing well, and no cosmetic issues with my Ipad2. It appears they are having some serious quality control issues, I have a few friends with no issues and I have had a few who's Ipads look like they were built by my 3 year old son....The inconsistency makes no sense.

21. AlkFoo macrumors member

What is a "back light bleed". I've heard about it, but don't even know what to look for?

22. mrholder macrumors regular

That's definitely not the quality manufacturing Apple has been known for in the past. I hate if for you guys. I decided to get a first gen iPad recently through the Verizon sell off. So far, it's a solid device. No defects that I can see.

23. 126351 Guest

A number of long-term Apple devotees were surprised by the how well built the iPad 1 was. Perhaps the iPad 2 is a sign of things to come at the price point they are striving for.

24. 126351 Guest

12 hours in travelling and waiting time and £50 in fares. Not good enough, Apple.

25. 126351 Guest

Got my refund; they didn't even offer a replacement this time.

Felt quite fortunate I had screen bleed this time because the seams splitting apart is deemed to be 'normal' and without the bleed I would not have got my money back. The Genius said he has not seen it before but I've had 2 like it and a number of the white demo iPad's all had seams in varying stages of coming apart. Some - including my replacement - were so wide (between 3 and 4mm) that you could see the internal components.

Apple won't be hearing about it because it won't go on the return report (as it is supposedly normal behaviour). Will be interested to see what happens once these have been out in the wild for a couple of months.

Was interesting to note that not one person looking at the iPad's were interested in inspecting the build quality; they were so engrossed in what was happening on the device itself, which I guess is a great thing.

Sadly though, that is me done with the iPad.